• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need more traction ???

Anyone have any more info? I need a whole carrier and not sure which I am going to go with. I guess mine thought it was funny to crack:mad2::confused:

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 25
Anyone have any more info? I need a whole carrier and not sure which I am going to go with. I guess mine thought it was funny to crack:mad2::confused:

Is that from your '95 burb? I would suggest the Eaton limited slip. Locks up immediately but unlocks around corners (unless a fair amount of throttle is applied). I had one in my '96 Z-71 and I liked it a lot. I would do doughnuts in the church parking lot on wet asphalt.):h It like many other units replaces the whole carrier. While your in there I would suggest doing the ring and pinion also with all new bearings. I ended up doing my rear-end twice in my last truck. The first time I broke 2 teeth off of the ring and pinion gears. The second time the spider gears came apart and took out everything.

What axle is under it? 14 bolt?

Yes it is from my suburban. From what I can tell I have a 14 bolt full floater g 80. I have 373 gears. I am looking for something that will hold up to spinning both tires like at the track. Yes this is my dd and I did hear that the Detroit lockers works great. I did not price out a air locker or ect. Something I can lock myself.:thumbsup:

thanks for the input.

Yes it is from my suburban. From what I can tell I have a 14 bolt full floater g 80. I have 373 gears. I am looking for something that will hold up to spinning both tires like at the track. Yes this is my dd and I did hear that the Detroit lockers works great. I did not price out a air locker or ect. Something I can lock myself.:thumbsup:

thanks for the input.

Electronic lockers definitely cost more. It all depends on what you want to spend. I think Detroit is a good one too from what I've heard.

The only thing I disliked about the Detriot locker is that it had quite abit of play in it after you parked when you let off the brake it would roll a couple of inches. That was with 36" tires and 410s.

The only thing I disliked about the Detriot locker is that it had quite abit of play in it after you parked when you let off the brake it would roll a couple of inches. That was with 36" tires and 410s.

Hmm, well I can say I didn't have that with my Eaton but it's a different setup.

I am going to let this thread back to the person it belongs to....thanks for the help.:thumbsup:

I wish I had a little more lockup at lower speeds for plowing.

What speed does the G80 lockup at?

I changed my fluid out to synth and never added a friction additive, what should I use?

I wish I had a little more lockup at lower speeds for plowing.

What speed does the G80 lockup at?

I changed my fluid out to synth and never added a friction additive, what should I use?

I don't think you need a friction modifier for the G 80. The eaton uses a clutch type system and that's why the additive is needed. The G 80 is just gears with weights. Once it get's spinning to a certain speed (around 30 mph) the weights move causing it to be unlocked....I think that's what I remember being told. The G 80 never seems to lock immediately for me...it takes a bit of spinning first from my experience.

the G80s do have clutches. trust me. i found a million pieces of them in my diff last year. not fun. from what i have been told, if synthetic is used, a friction modifier is not needed. something in the synthetic that dino doesnt have to make up for the modifier

the G80s do have clutches. trust me. i found a million pieces of them in my diff last year. not fun. from what i have been told, if synthetic is used, a friction modifier is not needed. something in the synthetic that dino doesnt have to make up for the modifier

Sorry for the wrong info. Thanks for clearing that up.

no problem, here to help when i can. otherwise, i like to play in the pot.......(unfortunatly, i cannot find the stir the pot smilie)

I don't think you need a friction modifier for the G 80. The eaton uses a clutch type system and that's why the additive is needed. The G 80 is just gears with weights. Once it get's spinning to a certain speed (around 30 mph) the weights move causing it to be unlocked....I think that's what I remember being told. The G 80 never seems to lock immediately for me...it takes a bit of spinning first from my experience.

that's the problem with the G80's when drag racing...if you break traction at over 30mph it will not re-engage...

Problem = Right rear outer tire worn about 1/3 more than the other 3....even the right rear inner is OK......My RPO codes show I havw the G80 with 4.63 on 19.5's.

Too many left hand turns?

It sure can't hurt to add some though? I have a little room in there before it pours back out the fill. Enough for a few ounces of modifier I think, What do you use? Or not recommended?

Problem = Right rear outer tire worn about 1/3 more than the other 3....even the right rear inner is OK......My RPO codes show I havw the G80 with 4.63 on 19.5's.

Too many left hand turns?

I don't have this problem BT. Perhaps you have too much air in that tire? I have 135 wheelbase I believe, Standard cab & chassis DRW.

Maybe because you tow you habitually back cars up so you can see out your drivers mirror which shows less blindspot than passenger side? Which in effect would angle you doing a left turn, just backwards, and sharp, with alot of weight on the rear tires?

Back