• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need more traction ???

Turbine Doc

Just Another Diesel Guy
Reaction score
Multiple options to choose from here are a couple of things to consider:

I posted this over at Page and at Place thought it would be good over here also.

This was getting some traction over in the DP 6.5 forum questions about lockers, while not an expert I have owned and operated one type, I'll post some edited text from Aug., 2001 4 Wheel & Off-Road you might be able to get a back issue in library, or PM me and we will figure out how to get you the full article from my copy.

5 types studied/tested in the article

Open: most common, free diff provided by all mfrs, most drivable, as vehicle turns inside tire turns at slower rate than outside, useless for off road pretty much, recommendation get rid of it if you have any thought of getting off of pavement.

Limited-Slip: Auburn Gear is one vendor, cone & friction material $400 or so, works similar to open but inside wheel will try to turn with outside wheel, requires friction additive, good pavement manners, but limited effectiveness off-road, good if you are a little stuck need to be in 4x4 before getting stuck. This is GM option code G80, found in many GM trucks, and most of the GM 2wd Diesel burbs check your glove box sticker for option G80 to see if yours came with one from factory.

Selectable Locker: ARB air Lock or OX Lock, performs like open when inactive excellent pavement manners, most expensive style $700-800 at time of article, if not familiar with setting up ring & pinion requires professional installation, air locker will not work on loss of air, or plumbing to it, compressor not included with kit generally extra $$$, OX Lock uses Tel-flex type cable/shaft for activation pure mechanical engage, positive both axle lock when in use like Spool.

Automatic locker: $400-600 Power trax, Detroit and others, active full time have capability to auto lock & unlock as torque is applied; heavy throttle in a hole will lock/unlock both or just one side, generally side with least traction spins until both side has same grab so power shifts left wheel-rt wheel until both can "git-some" and both pull out the hole.

I had one in my 2wd gasser for years would go places I thought impossible. Most are capable of being installed by experienced shade tree mechanic, do not have to interrupt ring and pinion. Downside though requires some learning to drive it not as pavement friendly until you learn how to drive it.

Spool: Cheap traction Drive-train Direct is one that was reviewed $170 spool locks both axles always on, But you knew that was coming always a but, no slippage of either tire anytime lot of wheel chip and pavement drive-ability issues get on it too hard in a turn and you can break drive-line stuff same with other lockers but since this stays engaged always highest risk to drive-line with this style.

From all that I've read and experienced only few folks need a locker front and rear; a locker in rear most of the time will negate need to even engage 4wd.

For simplicity I like the auto locker, several different vendors have lockers, been a while since I searched for them, Richmond Gear bought out the Power Traxx company so when looking with search engine for them you may have more luck looking for Richmond Gear products.

Power Trax No Slip is one I went with been there since fall of 2005, has held up to my occasional 18K tows even though not really recommended for full time towing, much tamer than the Lock Rite I ran before in the gasser, according to the Mfr no-slip is supposed to be more pavement friendly and auto trans vs stick is also supposed to be more better.

Another piece of off road traction is tires, my gasser with basic AT M&S tires struggled for traction, shifting to Bridgestone 15x31" MT tires was night & day difference, my locker equipped 2wd would leave many street tired 4X4 stranded, of course I fooled many because I had bought a set of GM 4x4 tow hooks as well.

Last edited:
One good thing to note about the Detroit Locker in the 14 Bolt 10.5" rear axle, if you have an open carrier it drops right in. You don't have to worry about setting up the gears. I think it is the only one that is that way though, i.e. not a full carrier replacement.

Also, I know Detroit makes an Electric Locker, so a third type of selectable.

Heh heh heh, one more thing I have a friend with a YJ that he OX'd front and rear, the diff cover is part of the mechanism, no choice but to use it.

One good thing to note about the Detroit Locker in the 14 Bolt 10.5" rear axle, if you have an open carrier it drops right in. You don't have to worry about setting up the gears. I think it is the only one that is that way though, i.e. not a full carrier replacement.

Also, I know Detroit makes an Electric Locker, so a third type of selectable.

Heh heh heh, one more thing I have a friend with a YJ that he OX'd front and rear, the diff cover is part of the mechanism, no choice but to use it.

No slip & Lock Rite from Power Traxx/Richmond Gear is drop in on the GM, after you have done 1, takes about 30 minutes, same 2004 article I got the comparisons from called it a "lunch time locker" on semi-floater, probably more to it on a full floater.

Thanks for electric locker info in 04 that wasn't an option and Ox Locker was "new" IIRC I think Ox Lock now out of business.

Full floater you don't even have to pull the tires off to do...just slide the axle shafts out enough to get the carrier out.

The G80 may have clutches, but it is an auto locker. Unless it's broke, it locks both sides together solid once it's engaged. It doesn't use metal teeth to do it like the others do, but that clutch in your transmission holds pretty well when it's engaged too :D

I've had all different kinds of lockers in my vehicles. I've had auto lockers (lock rights) in the front and rear of my jeep in the stock axles, and when I put the D44's in I put a lock right up front and a spool in the back. I loved the spool, it was incredibly predictable unlike the lock rights. They liked to unlock at the worst times. When the lockright unlocks, the wheel with the most traction gets power, so opposite of an open diff. It can get a bit of force stored up in it when the power is on (they basically spool up when power is applied), so when you push the clutch in to shift you get a sudden release and in a short vehicle it can lead to an abrupt lane change if you aren't read for it.

Everyone dogs on the G80, but in a DD vehicle, it's pretty ideal to me. It's nearly transparent and if you don't abuse it, they hold up quite well. I've had two trucks with them, and for a truck I drive every day, I can't think of a better choice other then the now defunct terraflex t-locker (ran off a VERY tiny amount of air...a hand bike pump could power it...and could be set to default either locked or unlocked when air pressure was taken off).

I've read over at the place some time ago about an auto locker from Sweden or Switzerland. It supposedly locks at any speed and people have had good experiences with them. I could be totally wrong about where it came from, thats just what i remember. I tried looking for the post but failed. Again, I could be way off base and it couldve just been a brain fart or something.

But the reason it caught my eye is that they mentioned it locks at any speed. Sometimes when I'm going around a corner and have to urge to slide around it, I'll punch it but the G80 wont lock up so only 1 tire goes up in smoke and 2000 miles are burnt off of 1 tire. So what is a good auto locker that is strong (dont do much towing) and will lock at any speed even while turning?

I've read over at the place some time ago about an auto locker from Sweden or Switzerland. It supposedly locks at any speed and people have had good experiences with them. I could be totally wrong about where it came from, thats just what i remember. I tried looking for the post but failed. Again, I could be way off base and it couldve just been a brain fart or something.

But the reason it caught my eye is that they mentioned it locks at any speed. Sometimes when I'm going around a corner and have to urge to slide around it, I'll punch it but the G80 wont lock up so only 1 tire goes up in smoke and 2000 miles are burnt off of 1 tire. So what is a good auto locker that is strong (dont do much towing) and will lock at any speed even while turning?
Detroit.

If you want the bling, put in an ARB and YOU decide when it's locked and when it's not.

Detroits lock up at any speed?
What about strength?

Was thinking bout putting in a arb but would like to keep it auto for now

Detroits lock up at any speed?
What about strength?

Was thinking bout putting in a arb but would like to keep it auto for now

Eaton will lock at any speed too. I had an Eaton limited slip in my '96 and I could do doughnuts in parking lots. :D Taking corners and putting it sideways was not a problem. :thumbsup: I'm not sure if they make one for our trucks yet though.

A detroit is about as strong as it gets. I'm not sure how the new 11.5 carrier is, but the detroit for 14 bolts actually drops in like a lunch box locker. Very easy to instal and strong as hell. All the military CUCV trucks were spec'd with them in the rear if that gives you any indication of their reliability.

If I were going to put a locker in my truck I'd probably get the Dodge locker...interchangeable with our trucks...or the Detriot. I'm sure they are both great products. I have heard nothing but good of the lockers that come from the Dodges though.

I dont think Dodges come with lockers. Where can I find one of those?

They may be referred to as a limited slip like the Eaton. They aren't the easiest to come by but I think Merchant Automotive can get them. Also try Tony Burkhard.

Limited slip and lockers are two different things. I prefer to have it completely locked.

True. But like I said..I had an Eaton and it stayed locked all the time. It's a posi. It gives around corners unless you get on the throttle...then it locks right up. Ask the guys about the Dodge posi if you want...they all love them and probably what I'll end up getting unless the Detroit is cheaper. Give Eric Merchant a call...he'll give you a good opinion.

not sure if this is the application Max was talking about, but when i owned a dakota, i would bake both tires in either a brake stand, or doing doughnuts, or kicking it out around corners. no complaints at all.

with 124,000 on my truck now, i had to replace the cam and governor in the G80 once already. looking for a better locker for pulling season, but it may have to wait for next year.

Ken

Back