• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need more bolt sizes

I'm confused. #10 looks like a stud. And is shown going to the exhaust manifold.

Is that just a stud or stud and nut?

That doesn't seem right at all.

I know I have some M8 x1.25 studs here. I'm wishing I had and Allen screw to use for a stud into the block for the starter brace.

I have a heck of a time touching that bolt much less doing anything with it.

From our 1996 factory service manuals.

Starter bolt torque specs

Starter through bolts M10x1.5 35' lbs

Starter brace bolt M8x1.25 24' lbs

Starter brace nut 1/4"-20 tpi, 75" lbs or 6.25' lbs

Last edited:
I never thought of using a stud in the block for the starter brace. As much trouble as I have getting my hand in there to start the bolt, I will be trying that when I finally get to installing the starter on the 94.

I was amazed to be told the 1/4-20 stud in the starter was missing.
I usually use blue locktite.

Hopefully I'll get to that this week.
I know I have some M8 x1.25 studs here. I'm wishing I had and Allen screw to use for a stud into the block for the starter brace.

That is just a bad drawing, the shield bolts to the starter brace bolt or stud on the block.
The difference with that new shield in post #37 is the rear of the shield bolts directly to the stud that
holds the transmission to the block. I don't remember seeing one like that but it is well documented.
I'm guessing that shield was an early setup on non-turbo engines.
Not sure it will fit with a turbo exhaust manifold.
The old shield in post #37 is part# 10191184

That is just a bad drawing, the shield bolts to the starter brace bolt or stud on the block.
The difference with that new shield in post #37 is the rear of the shield bolts directly to the stud that
holds the transmission to the block. I don't remember seeing one like that but it is well documented.
I had 2 new shields here. I never looked at the GM part # on the bags
One end goes behind the starter brace and the other goes to a bracket attached to a bell housing stud.

The GM number on the starter heat shields I have is 10191484

I don't know the number for the bracket to the bell housing they require.

Do you have a photo?
Mine has a bracket off the bell housing.
The tabs are about 45° off. Might be hard to tell in the picture. The back tab is vertical. The front tab is angled to match the block.

My old shield has the front tab broke off. It could be repaired

Attachments

• IMG_20231204_141723.jpg
    IMG_20231204_141723.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231204_142234.jpg
    IMG_20231204_142234.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 7
This is the brace that the back of the starter heat shield bolts to. I didn't remove the bolt. Just loosened it. The nut welded on the back takes a 15mm wrench.

Attachments

• IMG_20231204_151725.jpg
    IMG_20231204_151725.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20231204_151715.jpg
    IMG_20231204_151715.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20231204_151714.jpg
    IMG_20231204_151714.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 7
That's a good photo. Thanks. My original has the tab broken off too, but it was the rear tabs that fasten to the little bracket. Has that been sitting around a while or did you recently acquire it? I'm assuming it's the 10191184 mentioned above.

...and then back to the bell housing bolts, I ran across these - 11561121

They are 1-3/16" long on the block side (30mm).

The others that @DieselAmateur linked appear to be 40mm and I think that is too long. I was able to thread a long full thread bolt all the way in tonight and found that 1-3/8" is about the maximum length of threads that were no longer exposed.

STUD,ENG RR MT BRKT(M8X1.25X20,M10X1.5X30). Required: 01
For: H 4.6-9/S(L37) (2008-2011) (2008 - 2011).
For: H 4.6Y(LD8) (2006-2008) (2006 - 2008).
For: K (2006-2011) (2006 - 2011).

Last edited:
That's a good photo. Thanks. My original has the tab broken off too, but it was the rear tabs that fasten to the little bracket. Has that been sitting around a while or did you recently acquire it? I'm assuming it's the 10191184 mentioned above.
Yep, that's the correct part number.
It's been sitting for quite a while. Many years

Yep, that's the correct part number.
It's been sitting for quite a while. Many years
Are you selling one of the shields?

I think these are the correct length that you showed earlier. I could live with the 30mm I found, but a few more threads would be better. 34mm=1.34" which is about perfect.
1701781107479.png
Any idea what these above came out of so I can figure out a part number for each?

Does anyone know what are the bell housing fasteners in a '99 6.5 TD with an automatic?

I think these are the correct length that you showed earlier. I could live with the 30mm I found, but a few more threads would be better. 34mm=1.34" which is about perfect.
View attachment 85013
Any idea what these above came out of so I can figure out a part number for each?

Does anyone know what are the bell housing fasteners in a '99 6.5 TD with an automatic?
I would consider selling the shield for full price. I always thought I'd get another 6.5. Suburban or Truck, But I doubt that happens.

It doesn't look like full price isn't much, if the link below is the correct part. The picture doesn't match the part number.

Would you like some studs to go with that?
How many studs do you need?
Off of memory, I think it took 3. 2 on the driver's side and one on the passenger side.
I would have to see how many I have. I wouldn't want to sell them all.

I found these shields and glow plug shields. Back when there was a website you could search nationwide by part number. They closed it down or updated or something and I couldn't get it to work anymore. It was discussed here or somewhere else back then. If anyone knows if such a site, I'd appreciate a link.

I need to get rid of a lot of stuff.

Are the shields no longer available?

Some probably came out of a wrecked 1999 K1500 6.5 Suburban that I scrapped for the transmission.

I have several of the studs and quit looking for the bolts when I found the bolt that matched the studs.

I have studs in one can and M10-1.5 bolts in a couple other cans.

The studs very in condition, so I'm. Guessing they were used in a variety of 6.5s over the years.

I'm trying to think of what other years I would have bolts and studs from.

Ya that trying to think thing's not working.

Last edited:
I ran out of editing time.

Can someone eliminate a post here?

think these are the correct length that you showed earlier. I could live with the 30mm I found, but a few more threads would be better. 34mm=1.34" which is about perfect.

View attachment 85013

I would consider selling the shield for full price. I always thought I'd get another 6.5. Suburban or Truck, But I doubt that happens.

It doesn't look like full price is much, if the link below is the correct part. The picture doesn't match the part number.

Starter Heat Shield.

4.8, 5.3 & 6.0 LITER. 6.5 liter. 6.5 LITER Diesel. Diesel. Starter Heat Shield

Fits C2500 (1992 - 2000)

6.2 & 6.5 LITER DIESEL. 6.5 liter. 6.5 LITER DIESEL. Diesel.

Your Price
$ 5.49

All Discounts:$ 1.93 (26% off)MSRP: $ 7.42

GEORGE MATICK CHEVROLET, INC.
14001 TELEGRAPH RD, REDFORD TOWNSHIP, MI 48239
Your Price
$ 5.49

Would you like some studs to go with that?

How many studs do you need?

Off of memory, I think it took 3. 2 on the driver's side and one on the passenger side.

I would have to see how many I have. I wouldn't want to sell them all.

I found these shields and glow plug shields. Back when there was a website you could search nationwide by part number. They closed it down or updated or something and I couldn't get it to work anymore. It was discussed here or somewhere else back then. If anyone knows if such a site, I'd appreciate a link.

I need to get rid of a lot of stuff.

Are the shields no longer available?

Some probably came out of a wrecked 1999 K1500 6.5 Suburban that I scrapped for the transmission.

I have several of the studs and quit looking for the bolts when I found the bolt that matched the studs.

I have studs in one can and M10-1.5 bolts in a couple other cans.
The studs very in condition, so I'm. Guessing they were used in a variety of 6.5s over the years.

I'm trying to think of what other years I would have bolts and studs from.

Ya, that trying to think thing's not working.

Last edited:
Back