• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need help with my 99 6.5 Tahoe please

image.jpeg At the point I am at right now I have a lot I am dealing with. I can't devote as much time as I would like to my vehicles. The weather has been pretty damn cold for here and shitty. Still can't get them in the garage to start to find the leaks on the Tahoe. In the process of trying to sell my 99 5.7 Suburban which I have a lot invested in so if any of you want a great condition 5.7 1999 Suburban that needs nothing and I mean nothing let me know. Then I free up some cash to put into my diesels. :D We just got done with dinner and now I have to work on the PC for my boss man. Then I am going to try to finish cleaning the garage so tomorrow I can pull in the Tahoe.

Here is a shot of my 95 diesel suburbans lugs. Dave PO of my diesel Tahoe told me if my Suburban is 8 lug that is has the 2500 breaks and should have the 2500 frame also he said the rear should be different though. Can anyone tell me how to find out which transmission the 60 or 80 I would have?

Last edited:
If tunes are stock the power will be similar no matter what common swapped turbo you have in.

Hx 35 isn't bad with 3.42s and a non towing rig. If you want a good towing turbo the A Team from Leroy will make you want drag race while towing! Otherwise keep the vacuum system in shape as it gets better mpg than a turbo master.

Keep reading and searching, your mind will explode with the knowledge floating around this site.

Yes the tunes are stock on both. For now i am happy with how they both drive. I am not very heavy on the gas anyway. My main concern for them right now is fixing any leaks and make sure they are maintained. Once I know the both of them are reliable and not in need of anything then I will start learning and doing research on mods and upgrades to make them bullet proof and faster. One reason I wanted a diesel was for better fuel economy or mpg so if in the future I upgrade turbo...etc I want to still try to get over 20mpg highway. If that is possible I am not sure. Most of you guys would know better then me. :wideyed:

All the 6.5 diesels had the 4L80E

X-2. The RPO code will verify.

Yes the tunes are stock on both.

Given the Ho's PO, am a little surprised that the tune is still stock.

When the Ho is ready for regular use, get a tune specific to the turbo as it will balance / optimize the system.

I want to still try to get over 20mpg highway.

Definitely possible on either rig. For comparison, I am currently getting 19.5 loaded with family and a bike rack on the rear while cruising the 70 mph speed limits. When I had the 506 block, without bike rack and 65 mph speed limits I got 20 - 22. Aside from the speed differences from one motor observation to the other, bio was apparently added to the fuel (mandated), so that may play a factor as well.

In any event, a tune will help get better mileage. After that, the next options are to ditch the slush box (for a manual) and to get a Horton electro-magnetic fan clutch. Do not know of anybody whom actually did the Horton though. As an alternative to the Horton, can do electric fans, but check to see if they have a tow rating as they have a history of not dumping enough heat when pulling hard and slow.

Back