• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need Help with cummins repower

Yeah the guy just told me it had a p pump injection pump. So if i get an adaptor plate this would fit a dodge nv4500 right

yes, you just have to get the bell housing adapter plate and flywheel for the dodge stick shift... I would jump on that deal ASAP before he changes his mind

defintiely jump on it. the cummins bellhousing that couples to GM transmissions has been floating around e-bay for a while, so if you can afford it, I would jump on that as well, that way, you can use your transmission. just search NV4500 on e-bay.

a 6bt is a very valuable motor. at farm consignment auctions, wore out ones that have been used on an irrigation well still bring about 500 to a grand. the p-pump makes it even sweeter.

I thought you or someone said that my trans wouldnt fit since my trucks a 1994 and hopefully i can contact him today also ive noticed that some cummins the oil pans on backwards, can these be turned around

Seeing as it came out of a FedEx truck and had an automatic it probably has an sae #2 bellhousing adapter on it which is different than the dodge and Chevy bellhousing pattern. So if you wanted to run a Chevy nv4500 you would have to call destroked and get their adapter plate and flywheel. If you want to use the dodge nv4500 you would need the adapter plate for the dodge nv4500 and the flywheel.

the oil pan will turn around but you will also have to get the oil pick up tube for a pick up. it is about 180.00 from the dealer unless you can find one used, found mine on ebay for 25.00

I must insert a bit of redneck engineering info here-
The chevy nv4500 trans that has the different bolt holes can easily be drilled to fit the dodge adapter.

The input shaft switcheroo is a bit more complicated.

I thought I had heard of that before but was unsure. Didn't want to give him false info. Thank you for adding the clarification, that could deff save him a good bit of money.

I must insert a bit of redneck engineering info here-
The chevy nv4500 trans that has the different bolt holes can easily be drilled to fit the dodge adapter.

The input shaft switcheroo is a bit more complicated.

Are you saying drill the bell housing flange up where it meets the engine on a 6.5? Have you done this? Got pictures?

Are you saying drill the bell housing flange up where it meets the engine on a 6.5? Have you done this? Got pictures?

Drill the hole on the transmission where it should be to line up to the dodge bellhousing.
The 4 holes where it bolts to the bell adapter.
The 2 I did are currently in trucks, so no pics...

You can use the GM mounts if you want, thats what I did with polyurethane inserts.

You can keep your NV4500 as mentioned, if you use the bread van adapter that ran a manual chevy trans, but your stuck with a smaller clutch IIRC, or use a destroked adapter/flywheel/starter($$$). As Cumminsfever said you can swap the dodge bell on your trans, but it requires more modification and parts mixing/matching. If you had the later NV, just swap dodge bell and input shaft on your trans.

I have some pics in my garage. Check out, 4btswaps (dot) com

I'd jump all over that cummins for $500.

If it has a SAE#2 flywheel housing/starter on it, thats worth atleast couple hundred by itself to the guys using eaton and allison transmissions in there swaps.

I took off my trans last night to do the throwoutbearing. The bearing is touching the pressure plate when the clutch petal isnt pressed down, it shouldnt be touching should and how do i keep it from touching it thanks for everyones time

The Cummins B5.9, also known as 6BT (turbocharged) or 6BTA (turbocharged and aftercooled), started life in 1984 as an agricultural engine for use in Case agricultural equipment. This engine later became popular in light to medium sized commercial trucks and buses. It was developed though a joint venture between Cummins and Case called Consolidated Diesel Corp.

The B5.9 used Bosch direct fuel injection and VE injection pumps from 1989-1993, and from 1994-1998, Bosch P7100 high-pressure fuel pump and injection. The engine featured self-tensioning polyvee belt accessory drive system and Holset wastegated turbocharger.[1]

In 1997, Cummins added new electronics to the B5.9. This model became known as the B5.9E

Cummins later applied their Interact System to the B5.9 in 1998 which gave way to the Cummins ISB. The changes included new electronicswhich and Cummins electronic VP44 injection pumps.

Bad news for me. The guy that had the engine, his wife called me and said that the engine is gone. So i guess i will find another engine or just by a dodge cummins truck and have two trucks

Back