• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need Help with cummins repower

Chevy3500

Reaction score
Im going to do a repower on my truck this summer. I have a 1994 chevy 3500 5 speed with the nvg 4500 trans, and its 2 wd drive. I have been looking everywhere, for instructions on start to finish when putting a cummins into a chevy. I want to have everything ready so i can get it done quick. Any help thanks and im new hear also so if i post in the worng spot sorry.

Or if someone has a parts list on what i need to get, any help thanks i would like to get the parts first so i can get it installed somewhat quickly.

Which Cummins? A 4bt or 6bt will be an easy install. Make or buy motor mounts. Get the bread truck adapter and it will all bolt together like factory. Make a down pipe. You going to intercool it?
Lot of variables tell us more of your plan.
Ive done the Cummins 6bt in a 96 4x4 it was a pain to mod around the front diff because I had no lift kits. On a 2wd it will almost install itself.
Im doing a Isuzu 4bd2 in my Suburban. Just about done with it.

Which Cummins? A 4bt or 6bt will be an easy install. Make or buy motor mounts. Get the bread truck adapter and it will all bolt together like factory. Make a down pipe. You going to intercool it?
Lot of variables tell us more of your plan.
Ive done the Cummins 6bt in a 96 4x4 it was a pain to mod around the front diff because I had no lift kits. On a 2wd it will almost install itself.
Im doing a Isuzu 4bd2 in my Suburban. Just about done with it.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?32348-Isuzu-4BD2T-diesel-swap-into-Suburban

And welcome to TTS. Got any pics of your ride?

Whats a bread truck adaptor, i could do a 6 bt or a 4 bt how much more power and torque does the 4bt have compared to the 6.5l turbo diesel. Would it be able to pull alot, is their a big difference between the 6 bt and the 4 bt

leroy, like to be seen?
sounds like Chevy3500 needs info, from the beginning. where have you looked? i have seen whole sites dedicated to this very thing, even parts suppliers. been done here and the other place.
what key words are you using?
also, does your truck, right now, have a diesel?

4bt is almost the same engine as the 6bt just 2 less cylinders. We are gearing up to do a 4bt in a Suburban for normal day to day and even some towing I think the 4 cyl is better choice because of MPG considerations.
Power in stock form is simular to the 6.5, but can be made with minor mods to have more HP and torque while still being very reliable. The 6bt is a beast 1000lbs tq to the ground is not uncommon.
Bread truck adapter came in the big box vans built by Gruman I think? They have a 4bt and a th400 or stick trans. Since a th400 will bolt up so will a 4L80E they share the same exact mounting/flex plate set up. Look on ebay around $600 with starter.

Do you plan on doing this yourself? Do you have all the tools, welder, jacks, engine hoist......
Still pretty vauge, whats your overall plan and we can help as best we can.

Yes i have the tools and will be doing this myself. My plan is to remove the 6.5l turbo diesel and put a 5.9l turbo cummins in it. I wont be doing a redneck job, i want it to basicly look as factory as possible. I want to keep my nv4500 trans.

OK cool. Start gathering all the parts. A donor truck would be a great start along with the adapter, BUT you just said you want to go manual so you might not need a different adapter. You might use the Dodge adapter and bell housing then bolt your trans to the Dodge bell. I believe that will work. Also, you can swap the input shaft from the Dodge into the GM. Im not up on all the Manual trans stuff Im an "Auto guy" so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Motor mounts can be bought or make your own. Down pipe, tranfer GM sensors into Dodge block/head for gauges.
It really going to be simple on a 2wd. Inter cooler will be a project though.

I read somewhere that you would have to change the input shaft to a dodge input shaft and that should be the only thing i think. Im confused on what i should do with all of the wires, since the cummins doesnot have many wires as the 6.5 does and motor mounts i would like to make my own but i dont know how i would figure out how to put them in order to fab them up

I read somewhere that you would have to change the input shaft to a dodge input shaft and that should be the only thing i think. Im confused on what i should do with all of the wires, since the cummins doesnot have many wires as the 6.5 does and motor mounts i would like to make my own but i dont know how i would figure out how to put them in order to fab them up

Basicaly set the engine where you want it then start fabing mounts to it, unless you have a detailed drawing to go off of. lots of options. Fab into the GM mounts or make the Dodge mounts work even liquid filled mounts its up to your imagination. On my Isuzu swap I cut the GM out and used the Isuzu mounts.
All of the wires you don't need can just be left alone. I deloomed (is that a word?) some of mine so they would reach then reloomed (a word?) them how I wanted. I completely removed the 6.5 GP harness. All You need is what? a A/C, Alt, Tach, Temp, Starter.
"Nessecity is the mother of invention" "Measure twice cut once" is the best advice I can give you.

OK, this is the link i posted. if you will look at it, you will see that the mounts are totally diff from stock GM ones. take a look at the pics, there are 2 of em. NO, the GM mounts won't work out of the box, you will need to either get a set of these or fab them up yourself. same thing with ford. anytime you put in an engine that wasn't made for it, expect some fab work.

I was thinking of keeping the dodge mounts on the engine then make some sort of bracket to connect it to the frame, what would happen if you did solid motor mounts , it would shake like no other.

Back