• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need Help with cummins repower

You need to do alot of reading and searching still. These are very basic questions that anyone contemplating the swap should allready really know. If you are mechanicaly inclined at all you would know the answers. I know it takes time to understand different things and you have to start somewhere. No one can know everything so please do some basic research and you will find the answers. This swap has been done hundreds of times and is well documented all over the net.
By all means please do post again if you have more question or even when you start the build make your own thread on it.

i am very mechanicly inclined all i do is work on cars and trucks, im not very good at fabing up stuff but i guess i will have to try, i will post another thread when i start thanks for all the help.

When you get a donor or start actualy looking at the 12v you will see some of the differences and then have a concept of what it will take. Swing by a used car lot with a Dodge truck or look at a friends.... Like I said its an easy swap (as easy as they get anyway) When you have more question just ask.

The only thing i am really conserned about is the trans will mine bolt right to the 12v if i just get a dodge input shaft

Just a thought..arent the dodge NV4500's stronger than the GM nv4500's? I am not looking at doing one of these swaps but wouldn't you beable to use a dodge tranny?

Thats a good question. It must be a fitment issue. Im not the NV4500 expert by any means, just relaying stuff I have heard from others that do the same swap.

I ve done the research for my cummins super sub repower , here s what I found the gm nv4500 has a different belhousing than the dodge, on the gm the input shaft on the trans is a smaller diameter, I bought a donor truck with and automatic but dont want it I like to shift my own gears and I m a service manager at a truck leasing company and the auto s dont hold up so that s why I went with the nv4500 and the nv5600 is more expensive, back to it you will have to either change your trans bell housing to mach the cummins or get the bread truck one and still maybe i think change the input shft for the cummins clutch.

the dodge bellhousing wont bolt up to his current transmission.

from 1992-1995, GM had its own unique bellhousing to transmission bolt pattern.
from 1996-2007, GM shared the bellhousing to transmission bolt pattern with dodge, who had the same bolt pattern since 1994, the first year of NV4500s in Dodge trucks.

to my knowledge, but dont go by my info, I think the dodge input shaft can be installed into the GM case.

to answer tanmans question, yes, dodge did have a heavier duty NV4500.
The NV4500LD was used in all GM trucks, and all gas V8 Dodge trucks and was rated to 19K GCWR
The NV4500HD was used in Dodge diesel and V10 gas trucks. and was rated to 21K GCWR

there are differences between dodge and GM trannies, such as Dodges all had synchronized reverse gears, whereas GM wasnt from 92-98, becoming synchronized by 1999. there are many subtle differences, but in the end, all that matters is that you will need the bread truck bellhousing plate, as your transmission wont accept a dodge bellhousing to mount to the dodge bellhousing plate.

good luck, and if you want to see a cummins swap in progress to give an idea of some issues it might present, Diesel power is building up a Burb with a Cummins. it is the older body style though, so some things wont apply.

the dodge bellhousing wont bolt up to his current transmission.

from 1992-1995, GM had its own unique bellhousing to transmission bolt pattern.
from 1996-2007, GM shared the bellhousing to transmission bolt pattern with dodge, who had the same bolt pattern since 1994, the first year of NV4500s in Dodge trucks.

to my knowledge, but dont go by my info, I think the dodge input shaft can be installed into the GM case.

to answer tanmans question, yes, dodge did have a heavier duty NV4500.
The NV4500LD was used in all GM trucks, and all gas V8 Dodge trucks and was rated to 19K GCWR
The NV4500HD was used in Dodge diesel and V10 gas trucks. and was rated to 21K GCWR

there are differences between dodge and GM trannies, such as Dodges all had synchronized reverse gears, whereas GM wasnt from 92-98, becoming synchronized by 1999. there are many subtle differences, but in the end, all that matters is that you will need the bread truck bellhousing plate, as your transmission wont accept a dodge bellhousing to mount to the dodge bellhousing plate.

good luck, and if you want to see a cummins swap in progress to give an idea of some issues it might present, Diesel power is building up a Burb with a Cummins. it is the older body style though, so some things wont apply.

I will probally end up getting a donor dodge truck that has at least the trans in it, it would probally be easyer to get a doner truck,. From the pics of the dodge bell housing it looks like it would fit to my trans its only 4 bolts and it looks the same

well it wont fit, even though it looks close.
The only way this is possible is if someone put a 96 and newer transmission in, but then the bellhousing will have an internal slave cylinder. if you still have an external slave cylinder, it wont work.
I agree with your thought to buy one that allready has the transmission. will save some time and confusion.

Ok i put a car floor lift i have forsale on craigslist, this guy calls me and says he has a 12 valve he would trade me, i had the lift on craigslist for 500 trade or sale, good thing is i got the lift for free, anyways, he said the engine came from a fedex truck that got put out of commision bec the shock mounts or somthing rusted out. He said he does not know the miles or what pump it has. he said it comes with all the accesories , turbo has little shaft play and the oil is black, he said it does not leak, what to you guys think, or what would you do, would you trade or not. He said this engine has a circle bell housing, would this engine work. Like is it the same 12 valves that come out of dodge 2500s 3500s thanks for the input

Ok i put a car floor lift i have forsale on craigslist, this guy calls me and says he has a 12 valve he would trade me, i had the lift on craigslist for 500 trade or sale, good thing is i got the lift for free, anyways, he said the engine came from a fedex truck that got put out of commision bec the shock mounts or somthing rusted out. He said he does not know the miles or what pump it has. he said it comes with all the accesories , turbo has little shaft play and the oil is black, he said it does not leak, what to you guys think, or what would you do, would you trade or not. He said this engine has a circle bell housing, would this engine work. Like is it the same 12 valves that come out of dodge 2500s 3500s thanks for the input

Engine will work. FedEx has mostly 6bt's if not all. If it runs for a $500 dollar swap I'd say go for it. A core charge will cost more. Circle bell sounds like a Dodge trans. Is it auto?

Edit: engine may require electronics/ecm to use it. What year is the truck? I believe the block and head can still be used, but if you wanted to go to a mechanical IP you would obviously have to change that out.

yes he said it had an auto trans. Im sure the engine has high miles, do you think it would be better to trade for it or sell the lift and go buy another engine. I figured i cant really find a 6bt cummins for under 500 even in non working condition

You were typing while I was editing. See my edit above. And for a running 6bt for $500 I would be all over it. Check it out first and use common since before buying. Listen for noises, look at/smell oil....ect

Not sure of the year of the truck, i i was able to find out if it was a mechanical injeciton pump, i wouldnt need ecm or computer right ?
Also the engine isnt in the truck

Mech= no ECM.

If you can I would pull the oil pan then just to make sure no metal in there.

my 5.9 12v came out of a fedex truck, they are p pump injection pumps, it is a large round bell housing for a allison transmission not found in pickups only heaty duty apps.

Back