• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need a little help with injectors

Bigburban

Reaction score
I had an injector leaking where the injector treads the two sections of the injector together. I got a new bosch rebuilt injector got it installed and dang if it at leaking at the same place! Pull it back out and almost busted a blood vessel tightening the injector sections. Put it back in and still small leak. Is this a common problem with injectors? Can you use rtv on the treads to seal them? :mad2:

Not common, though there have been some imported injectors that are said to be Bosh that are making their way into circulation that leak, with pressure involved it's gonna be hard to make them stop leaking using a sealant, where did the injector/s come from?

x2 return it. Sure it's not the return line or the inj line ? I have had a few leak there where you are saying so yes it is very possible and with the amount of crap injs out there anything is possible.

x2 return it. Sure it's not the return line or the inj line ? I have had a few leak there where you are saying so yes it is very possible and with the amount of crap injs out there anything is possible.
No I checked and double checked the injector is leaking where the two parts of the injector are threaded together.

There is couple mating parts that have to be lapped to get a good seal,obviously that has not been done or a part is faulty.under or over torquing of the body halves can distort the mating surface and can result in a leak.

Aces is dead on.

I will ask the same that Ace did, but, is this the #7 or #8? The end cap line can also leak at the plug. So leaks from the top of that line down over the injector. Mine has a Briggs and Stratton main jet screw plugging it on the #8 end line because it was leaking bad at 2AM.

I will ask the same that Ace did, but, is this the #7 or #8? The end cap line can also leak at the plug. So leaks from the top of that line down over the injector. Mine has a Briggs and Stratton main jet screw plugging it on the #8 end line because it was leaking bad at 2AM.
No I just did all the return lines with the good stuff. It is the #2 first on passenger side

well it's certainly not unheard of. Like I said I have had a few leak in the middle. They are all crap nowadays. I think i have a bad one in my dually and I just changed them back in May.

As already said, you are leaking between the mating surfaces of the internal components tightening it even further or sealant is not the solution at this point. These surfaces are metal to metal so need to be perfectly flat. A good rebuild shop will carefull inspect and lap if necessary or lap as a matter of course. As far as I am concerned irrespective of Indian/knock off nozzles some rebuilds nowadays have no heed paid to these surfaces hence so many out of 10 leak/weep.

Send it back you should not have to bugger around with it, it should not leak at the threads.

Cheers
Nobby

As already said, you are leaking between the mating surfaces of the internal components tightening it even further or sealant is not the solution at this point. These surfaces are metal to metal so need to be perfectly flat. A good rebuild shop will carefull inspect and lap if necessary or lap as a matter of course. As far as I am concerned irrespective of Indian/knock off nozzles some rebuilds nowadays have no heed paid to these surfaces hence so many out of 10 leak/weep.

Send it back you should not have to bugger around with it, it should not leak at the threads.

Cheers
Nobby

Just installed the second injector and guess what? That @#$%! is leaking also! Now i am going to pull it back out and go try to find another one. With a good light I can see the fuel slightly bubbling right at the two mating surfaces. PITA!

So went to a different parts store and got another injector no leaks but a nice loud injector knock at idle WTF ok so this injector says Bosch but the country says India. I am gonna drive it today and see if some hwy driving and injector cleaner will clear it out if not I get to take it all back apart tomorrow. The mix of injector cleaner I used worked last time I had a injector knock so lets see if it works again. I did notice the injector hole is just big enough for a small stick of dynamite!

Oh and by the way a 30mm axle nut socket for a front wheel drive is perfect for removing injectors. I found alot of people asking what socket to get when I was searching injectors. Just thought I would add that. If not its GM specialty tool J-29873. Trust me the axle socket is much cheaper.

The guy i used to get them from kicked the bucket last year.

I believe Rock Auto has the bosch nozzles,aparently for less than $15 ,not sure though.

Either that or your local rebuild shop for the nozzles.

Hmm is Kenny gonna buy a tester? :D

Cheers
Nobby

Fred Kevek at Badger Diesel: 262-515-1569. Good prices (I got mine for $225 for a set) on rebuilt injectors with a core charge. 1-year warranty. Been pleased with our purchase.

Last edited:
Back