• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Water to Air intercooler install

You should just mount a CAC in that location and cut the middleman of the water exchanger out.

You should just mount a CAC in that location and cut the middleman of the water exchanger out.

I never liked the idea of that long column of air between the turbo and the intake manifold - it just seemed like lag waiting to happen.

I work with wood a lot. "We do it nice, because we do it twice" (or sometimes thrice) is the real life motto. I like this project. A intercooler is on my list of interests. Seeing yours as liquid cooled opens new options for me as Im tight for space and dislike adding to my existing cooling stack as well.
Any guide on what you spent on parts so far?

I work with wood a lot. "We do it nice, because we do it twice" (or sometimes thrice) is the real life motto. I like this project. A intercooler is on my list of interests. Seeing yours as liquid cooled opens new options for me as Im tight for space and dislike adding to my existing cooling stack as well.
Any guide on what you spent on parts so far?
Hi Sand. Maybe when I grow up I'll have the patience to work with wood. :)

Yeah I forgot that was one of the other criteria that made me go water/air - not adding additional heat to the cooling stack. I will say though: the subject of intercooling was brought up when I was at the dyno last time - he said that an air/air system is much more efficient and that you should never see IATs more than 20* higher than ambient. I see IATs hotter than that with my water/air system, but then I have a super short air column between the turbo and the intake....so you just have to pick your poison I guess.

Anyway....I got the stuff from Frozen Boost. I don't remember exactly what I spent, but I recall it being somewhere around $6-700 when all was said and done. I looked up the intercooler and the heat exchanger and those 2 items came to a subtotal of $330. But then you have to add a pump, hoses, coolant, fan(s) (optional), a filler neck and intake connections...so I can see that $600-ish value being right. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Just tuned in again. Looking good.
Ive been playing with the idea of a o2 to air cooler that mounts inside the intake. Been done on several cars, would be really cool on a 6.5 though.

Just tuned in again. Looking good.
Ive been playing with the idea of a o2 to air cooler that mounts inside the intake. Been done on several cars, would be really cool on a 6.5 though.
Thanks Leroy. Yeah an integrated cooler in the intake would be nice. Keep things nice and tidy.

I was just going to make the grill flat in the opening, but since the rest of it was turning out well I decided to get a little fancy......and I'm pretty darn pleased with the results!! :D:D:D

Now I just need to trim the ends so it fits down in the opening.
IMG_7668.JPG IMG_7669.JPG IMG_7667.JPG

Back