• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My trip, the lil 6.2 that could!

Bill,

I had to go to Franklin today and passed some of those gem mines. I was thinking about you as I took the trip across the mountain. Dang that south side of the mountain has some tough curves.

Sorry to hear about your health problems, but you are doing the right thing by heading back to the Tar Heel State. Your health is of the up most importance. Go home get the foot taken care of and you will be good to go.

Even though your trip has been cut way short, you have had the experience of a lifetime meeting some of those guys way down south.

Drive safely and be careful, you have plenty of time to get back for the doctors appointment.

The Journey actually continues. You'll be home and others that have wished they could have met you from around your area will now be able to do so.
Safe travels home and prayers for a speedy recovery.

This event may be over but the rodeo goes on in another location.

Well assuming he left around 6:30-7:00 he is probaly just getting through Houston again about now to get to I-10. Might make LA before stopping?
I hope you get to do a simular trip again.

What a bummer Bill. But, I totally agree with all the others, your health is of the most importance.

Drive safe going home and may God be with you.

Don

Health ALWAYS comes first, Bill. But look at the bright side, you've got a great "Plan B" in the works already. There's nothing like a drive down through New England as the trees turn their fall colors! I drove from Portland, ME back to Colorado to drop my dad's truck off back in early October of '08, man that drive through Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York and Pennsylvania was gorgeous!

Well assuming he left around 6:30-7:00 he is probaly just getting through Houston again about now to get to I-10. Might make LA before stopping?
I hope you get to do a simular trip again.

I remember when I picked up my '94 C2500 6.5TD in Houston. Left the owner's place in west-central Houston mid-afternoon and drove for an hour and a half on the freeways at 75 MPH and was just to the edge of the greater metropolitan Houston area. Thirty minutes after that, I was hitting the very southeast edge of the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metro. I can believe it when friends tell me it takes 3-4 hours to drive across Houston north/south WITHOUT rush hour traffic!

Hello my friends. Did not go back the way I came, sorta angle northeast on as usual non interstate roads. Wanted to see different stiff on the way home. Cant afford to use time stopping and prowling but I am getting to see it thru the windshield. I made it to Fairfield Lake State Park campground about 5. Have showered and changed dressing on foot, toe looks hood, no funky colors etc. Had campbells chicken noodle soup for supper, hey its a cure right? LOL I am beat, did not want to go home this way, sorta feel defeated but there is next year and with luck maybe I get to do the New England fall colors thing. Hey I finally ate a Whataburger today! Been seeing them and hearing their ads on the radio so splurged and ate there instead of fixing a sandwich in the truck camper. Its actually a very good burger, not a poboy tho! LOL Paul, Paveltolz I am most disappointed that ]

Oops. Most dissapointed that I did not get to Utah. Paul, Pepperridge I really would of liked camping with yall n meeting The Fermanator but need to get home and get patched up. Hey all you guys I am very unhappy that I did not get yo meet yall...... Anyway gonna call it a nite, its raining and this camper sleeps great with the rain on the metal roof.

Our rain must have gone your way. We're finally getting summer weather here. It was in the high 80s over the weekend and has cooled to the low 80s yesterday and today, cooling down to the low 60s at night.

Nothing like being INSIDE the camper and hearing the rain splattering on the metal exterior. Cools things down nice and makes the air smell clean. Much better than being in a tent!! Been there too many times and not fun.

Don

Health items need addressed first so you are able to continue on your journey. If you dont, then you will have problems all the time and nobody likes that. Take care of YOU first and get well.

Hello, it rained me out today plus had a bad detour into cowpath Texas!!!! LOL Was on 84 in Texas heading sorta northeast and got road closed ahead follow detour sogns. Was on some serious cowpaths and deer trails!!!! Not sorry tho cause The Lil 6.2 can do them hills n log trucks!!!! Had the pleasure of going thru Bugtousel Texas, its unincorporated, has no electricity or any other public utilities. It consists of a lil wooden leaning over store with a porch, Bud from Tx avatar should be on that porch!!!! LOL Sodas are kept in a cooler with ice, want gas? No problem they will fire up the generator and pump you some! The hilite of my trip! Anyway that detour ate up a bunch of time n then it RAINED! So I quit and went to ground here at Lake Clairbourne State Park Campground in La. Only covered 230 miles today n probably 50 of that made no progress other than sightseeing in Bugtousel! Will do better tomoro. Am gonna give up the secondary road thing n get on interstate 20 and head it into the home place.

Get well soon!
This trip got the bugs worked out so you will know how to travel better with it later.

Besides it isn't a dry heat out here anymore. Was humid and 111 today plus raining now. Will really be humid tomorrow...

U r very correct WarWagon, I cruised at 60mph all day today n never crossed 200 degrees. U just gotta drive it n pay attention to the details. Got to Auburn Alabama today, gonna make it home tomoro or bust ! LOL 450 miles to Orrum nc. Gotta get arrangements made before doc appt on Monday, might have to go in hospital. The Lil 6.2 is gonna make it!!!!! More than 4000 miles n she is still strong !

sorry you had to cut your trip short but your health is more important than a road trip and their is allways next year..
If you ever make it down to north florida I75/I10 area hit me up i allways have room for one more chevy and have plenty of flat land for you to park and camp on.

Get well soon!
This trip got the bugs worked out so you will know how to travel better with it later.

Besides it isn't a dry heat out here anymore. Was humid and 111 today plus raining now. Will really be humid tomorrow...
Visions of the clouds building to 50,000' over Four Peaks and the McDowell mountains to the East until about 6pm and then watching them move over the valley as the sun begins to set and the "FLUSH"...repeat for a week. Seems early for that pattern though. Normally happened in mid to late August and then SRP opened the dams into the Salt River....memories.

Home safe! The Lil 6.2 made it for a 4200 mile trip!!!! So proud of her, she had to get with it this morning in those north Alabama an Georgia foothills. It was one long steep hill after thd other! Went to 210 n then never went any farther but did not back off until I was well into South Carolina. Was doing 60 mph downhill n would fall to 45 upgrades to keep the rpms where she likes it. Afraid to push it any harder. Made 457 miles in 10.5 hours with two fuel stops to add veggie n diesel. That aint bad. Got 14 mpg for the trip average. Thought I would of got better. Got 30 gal veggie left in camper and 100 gal in Va in the horse trailer. Next time gonna take a very small lite weight trailer for the veggie and strip the camper down. I hauled a bunch of stuff that I never used. Ok gone to bed, its calling me! LOL

Back