• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My trip, the lil 6.2 that could!

So went rock hunting, with the wheelchair of course, no walking u know. Found a few nice reddish, and even two greenish ones. Also found a bunch of really nice chocolate brown flint n a few small pieces of jasper! Was four wheeling thru a washout with the wheel chair n hit something, blew the drivers rear inner tube! LOL Its got speacial low pressure tires to get traction in sand and grass! So now laoding up to find a tire shop in Mathis. Not a boring moment folks! LOL No problems, just opportunities. Its had a slow leak for a long time, better to happen within sight of the camper, sometimes I get miles away on the motorcycle!

You'll love Mesquite, Bill! That's all I'll smoke over anymore. Built me my own smoker, 12 hours nice and slow with smoke < 190* and the bones just pull out of the slab of ribs so clean. Not to mention what a nice brisket is like slow smoked like that. Damn, now I'm getting hungry! And, today's my birthday on top of that. Shiner Bock and mesquite BBQ, what a combo!
Chuckled when I read about the Mesquite and I dont want to make a huge flame war of it but my uncle in Wichita Falls said that wood is just like a noxious weed, they pay the people to cut it down every few years to clean up the ground. He laughed at me when I said you see a lot of it coming up here to Colorado for smoking and such. He said hell yeah, we can send a truck load up to you, get paid and we dont have to pay to bury it in the dump or burn it here. His wood of choice was apple and hickory and it was gooooood!

Also I meant to ask u what is that avatar? A gas mask?

sorry Bill, don't get here that much anymore. yes, an African rebal with a mask on his head and a rifle in his hands. i think he looks silly. reminds me of what i need to look out for.

Well, Radar, one man's "weed" is another man's delicacy. I've used apple, pear and hickory to smoke with, and I just happen to prefer the flavor of mesquite with my dry rub and sauces. To each his own, that's the joy of BBQ cookoffs. Speaking or which, orrum, if you time it right towards the end of the month (I'll get the dates posted here later) you'll be here in time for the Capital City Ribfest sponsored by the Nebraska Pork Producers. We get major competitors in here from all over the nation and world for it. About a dozen each year. Live music on stage, great Que to sample, beer, fixin's, damn, now I've gone and done it, I'm gonna have to fire up my smoker tomorrow!

leroy if it works out at the podiatrist and I can leave I am headed straight to Marty, Diesel Cash from here.

I have eaten apple wood smoked ham, its very good. Mesquite does not give the heat of oak, I like that.

What I have really noticed is the best wood or grill to cook with is one you dont own and are not sweating over!!! LOL The other man grillin or smoking is the best way to do it, tastes mighty fine that way and u usually get a different flavor that u cant predict! Yum!

Motorcycle is fixed, tube patched @ Hernandez Tire, fine folks there! Very cheap and nice used tires there! I fell in love with a set of six 235/85R16 that he had for $35 each mounted n balanced!

I know I promised pics but just got the camper leveled n the ac cranking n we had one of those steam bath quicky humidity showers n I ain goin outside!!!! LOL Tomoro for sure.

U know Leroy,Burning Oil jokes with me about being in heaven here in Texas.....There are several points in his favor.....1-Food n stuff is cheap. 2-Never freezes down here. 3-Best Mexican food I ever ATE BROTHER!!!!! 4-Always a nice breeze, not really hot like in NC. 5-Can buy a shotgun house for $12000-15000. 6-Very friendly helpful people 7-They have H-E-B grocery stores, never seen them before but I am here to tell u its a whole new level of reasonable priced FRESH, REALLY FRESH veggies, fruit and meats etc!!!! 8-Free mesquite wood!

Allright could not see out in the sun where the free wifi is so loaded the pics n now tell you what they are. The first is Leroy, Burning Oil signing the TTS Oil, that is Saffy his poodle, he is a certified bear dawg, very good at keeping the bruins away too! I was there for two days and never saw the first bear!!!! LOL Thats his 96 truck. The next is Leroys brother signing the can, he helped me with a electric problem way back when I first got on the forum, I am having a mental moment n cant remember his name, help Leroy! Thats his blue diesel truck, both he n Leroy converted them to mechanical db2 systems. He burns veggie oil in his, about a 100,000 miles now. The third is Deejaaa, Dave signing the TTS can, I would not let him sign it on his VW tdi! LOL He is a cell phone iphone genius with searches on the net! The last one is Dave n his girls, really polite, smart young ladies!

So the Kingsville n King Ranch photos r pretty self explanatory. The ranch makes their cowboys saddles that will hold up in that brushy country n are capable of roping n draging mack trucks for years !!!! LOL Then the red brick building is the museum, really woth going thru, cost $2.50. The last ones is a full size longhorn steer stuffed in the Saddle Shop. The King Ranch brand is the running w, they keep saying they dont know why he chose that brand. Well I know! LOL Its because when he was getting started u could brand mavericks and they became ur own then. A maverick is a unbranded calf or cow, steer bull etc that is not nursing a branded mother. The old land baron ranchers mostly started and continued to add to their herd this way. All a man needed was a long rope n a small mesquite fire n a old horse shoe, after the shoe or saddle cinch ring got hot u ran two green mesquite limbs thru it and ran a brand on the roped down bovine. The running w was very easy to make with a make do iron. Tended to cover up some other brands too! LOL Did not get to see the actual ranch house/mansion. Tours were over for the day. U got 50 men riding for u its too costly to keep them in real branding irons back then.

The old pic of a racehorse is the King Ranches Triple Crown winner Assault. He was known as The club footed comet! Blinding fast at all distances, little skinny scrawny thouroughbred! Hurt his foot as a colt and it grew a club footed hoof back, he limped bad at a walk and a trot but break him out of a starting gate n he was all heart n bottom, never took a bad stride at racing speed! Took a brave jockey to ride a crippled horse, you never know when that foot is gonna give way. Assaults never gave way n he went on to race after the winning of the triple crown! He stood at stud after the crown n proved to shoot blanks! I have a theory that the club foot was genetic and the injury story was a coverup, you be amazed how many times I heard that one when I was raising horses! LOL Then they stood him to stud back at the ranch n I figure he threw a bunch of club footed foals so best to just keep him out the breeding shed. Still doesnt matter he won the triple crown! Today the track steward n vet would rule him unsound n not let him run. Not fair, its like Nascar, they dont let em race anymore, cant go fast, cant use a lotta gas, etc.

Next is the Caddilac Girls Club, I did not have the nerve to go in later that day when they opened!

Thats my fish I caught at the lake! Its about 12-14 inches long. I caught a bunch just like him on salt mullet chunks, the lake must be stuffed with them. The limit is 15 inches and above. U better laeve ur reel bale open, I caught a much larger blue catfish and he hit and was dragging my nice new pole across the sand. Lot of gar too, something hits ur bait n u set the hook and feel them a second and then ur line is cut! Nedd a steel leader.

The last one is the actual saddle shop, the stuff in there was all good using cowboy gear and reasonable priced! Now the tourist stuff here n there n the shop was outrageous! $50 tshirts etc!

Back