• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My trip, the lil 6.2 that could!

Gmornin Paul ! About 8 miles south of Eatonton Ga. I am at Lake Sinclaire Recreation Campground. Its in a national forest with one of those indian names a foot long! LOL Say hello to the wife n family for me. Truck is fine, she just cant do real mountains without "driving her".

Morning Bill,
Oconee National Forest, South of the Chattahoochee National Forest. Yeah, the names can get long and the annunciations even worse at times. Seems all roads lead through there but, there are plenty of little back roads to get you around it to get you to Meridian and on to Pepperidge's place.

I take it you've all ready made it to Meridian MS or will do so today (Sunday, 24 JUN 12) and then Slidell LA on Monday, 25 JUN or Tuesday, 26 JUN if I guess right?

Some thoughts for you to put into your trip. Not sure what your schedule is looking like but if you're getting on towards winter before getting out west, and it seems that with the progress you're making, it may take that long, you might consider hitting Quartz Site AZ after October. Largest Mobile Home/Trailer Park in the world it would seem. At least the largest flea market from mid October to Mid March. All retirees hanging out on the desert to save money, enjoy the warmer or milder winters and everyone, it would seem, a rock hound. Gems and polished stuff all over the place from cheap tourist stuff to locally procured. Beware the naked book salesman! He's got a great store, but there's not much in the way of a uniform for the owner. His wife runs the Goodwill/Salvation Army store. Lots of desert rats living off the grid with their solar collectors re-charging batteries by day and hanging with the local campfire club at night. They get their septic tanks drained, fresh water, propane replaced etc. on site by guys who drive around their camp sites on the desert. I think a public use permit used to cost about $100 per month to 'camp' on the desert. Commercial places in town with power, water, cable, internet etc are available.

When you get up here, I have a couple of places lined up that will provide some WVO and we can set up your 'still' here and get you replenished. Once I get a better idea of your ETA, I'll have them stop disposing and I'll start collecting.

Not sure if Bill still want to come my way...unless he is feeling adventurous LOL...Looks like Debby will be a hurricane and we will be taking a direct hit on the bad side of the storm Wednesday night...We're meeting Monday evening so he does have time to pick up the can and maybe see the DDay museum on tuesday and then get the heck out of Dodge...

attachment.php

IMAG0428.jpg

Last edited:
Meridian, MS? There's some damn good Mississippi Delta Blues music around there. I have a good friend who's from Greenville, MS originally and is my neighbor here in Lincoln. Old school blues man by the name of Magic Slim.

the map link to the forecast picture auto updated at 4 p.m.(***and will do every so many hours so sometimes the posts on weather may not make sense***) and it looks a lot better for Bills visit down this way...but our camping trip to gulf shores may be delayed a day until Thursday after the storm passes that way...

***note***This Map will Auto update***
220751W5_NL_sm.gif

Last edited:
Just turn his camper into a houseboat! All the WVO in barrels would make great pontoons!

the map link to the forecast picture auto updated at 4 p.m.(***and will do every so many hours so sometimes the posts on weather may not make sense***) and it looks a lot better for Bills visit down this way...but our camping trip to gulf shores may be delayed a day until Thursday after the storm passes that way...
220751W5_NL_sm.gif

Here's to a weakening storm. Stay safe all.

Husker. I knew the people who started New Belguim brewery before they got so big. I was in a local home brew club and Jeff and Kim were in it with me. Neat people. I also have to like that Fat Tire. I live in Loveland now but was in Ft Collins the first 10 yrs I lived here. Hot is not the word. But my first wife was from Lincoln so I have 9 yrs there as well. Good luck on your trip out here.

Hot was the drive out to Denver yesterday! Watched the thermometer in the rearview mirror of the '98 K2500 'Burb slowly climb out of the 70's as we crossed into CO on I-76 into the 80's, 90's and finally to 104 as we entered Denver. Drove 81 mph on the cruise control, and with the stock fan and clutch (put them back on the night before instead of the D-Max fan and lo-temp HD clutch) a pair of 195 thermostats and the two bottles of Water Wetter in the 60/40 anti-freeze never went above 202* on the temp gauge and usually stayed between 190-197! Couldn't see the mountains till almost to Denver because of the smoke haze being so thick from all the wildfires, usually I can see Long's Peak from I-76 on the way in! The two youngest are headed up to Mt. Evans to go to summer camp for two weeks today, and I'll be driving back to Lincoln. Got decent mileage yesterday, 503 miles and sitting right at 1/4 tank when I got to my dad's in Aurora. Not bad for needing new injectors and IP and just running a dry flow filter in a lidless K-47 box and a stock exhaust and "up hill" all the way with a 30 mph quartering/head wind. I figure I got a little better than 16 mpg, should do better going home today as I drop 4000' in altitude and with a tail wind! Can't wait til I put on the 4" exhaust and new injectors/IP, hope to get at least 20 mpg on the highway then.

Well here is a couple of Pictures of Bill Tim and I with "the can"

Tim Gave Bill a ride in a real 6.5and I gave Bill a boosted launch in the dmax... we had lunch and Bill had his first Po'Boy sandwich...Bill came back to the house where he plugged up the camper relaxed a while and then he had dinner with the family with traditional Monday fare for New Orleans "Red Beans and Rice"

IMAG0436.jpg

Bill Signing the "Oil Can"

IMAG0435.jpg

Great to see Bill meeting up with you guys and it looks like the storm is going east. Hope the guys in Florida don't have any problems from it.

Good to hear he's safe and sound. Red beans and Rice sounds almost as good as that sandwich. That sounds great that the storm is leaving you all alone. Hope it weakens and just brings the areas that need it, a lot of rain.

Just caught up on the news and I apologize for my uninformed comment earlier.

Best wishes to those getting far too much rain.

Just caught up on the news and I apologize for my uninformed comment earlier.

Best wishes to those getting far too much rain.

Too bad some of those places out west missed out on the storm, they could use alot of rain about now. Thing about most of the gulf tropical storms they cut up through the gulf or along the east coast.

I'm enjoying this travelogue!!! Keep posting updates and pics.

I'm finding that my curiosity is getting the better of me and I've been using the computer and looking up many of the places you get to Bill. See, it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks!!

Which way are you planning to go next?

Don

Gmornin! WHAT A GRAND DAY I HAD YESTERDAY!!!!!! Turbine Doc, Tim and Pepperridge, Paul r great guys and THEY BOTH HAVE CRAZY INSANE TRUCKS!!!! We went for a ride with Paul leading the way and Tim n I following in his truck......Shezam we went too!!!! Tims truck is a turbo 6.5 that has been souped up n it is WICKED quick with no topend, I had to say whoa but it did no good cause Paul was rolling n we were going too! I have been in the chevy hotrods of the seventies n nothing like those trucks, the diesel just keeps on gettin it. Then we ate lunch, I had a Po Boy..........its not a sub.....I luv food, this was a new experience and that sandwich alone makes the trip worthwhile! PLUS Tim paid for our lunch!!! THANKS AGAIN TIM!!!!

After lunch I rode in Pauls truck and we did a boosted launch.....WHAT A TAKEOFF!!!!! First gear pushes back into the seat and then it hits second and slams u back and holds u there, I mean holds u there!!!! His truck outruns the dragsters when he goes to the dragstrip! Incredible....

Then I signed the can and we took pics and crawled under and thru the trucks. Tims truck is so balanced in its mods and is really a marvel because it has I believe 400 hp verdus stock is maybe 135 to the rear wheels.
Then sadly Tim had to go home but Paul invited me to supper and to meet his family.

Supper was incredible, red beans n rice with fried, yes wonderfull tender juicy fried porkchops! His wife, Mimi, what a beeutiiful woman, by the way she and Paul have two very polite children, a matched set, boy n girl. The daughter is crazy over horses so u know she made my day! I took the pic of my stallion in to show her and wore one of my trophy silver and gold belt buckles for her to see, u know they r big license plates of a thing.

So supper over and time to say goodnite, Paul gets up for work at one in the morning, I corrected him that was not early in the mornin, THATS THE MIDDLE OF THE NITE!!!! At that time Paul had another surprize for me from The Truck Stop staff, yall gave me a $50 Visa thingy to use for fuel etc on the trip!!!!! JThanks guys yall r a great family.

Then after I went into the camper Paul sent me a text saying to check my backdoor tgere was a box of goodies there, he owns a Pepperridge Farm cookie distributorship!!!! Its a huge box of those deliscious, very expensive cookies!!!! He said if I couldnt eat em all to give them to members as I meet up with them.....hmmmm do yall really think those cookies r gonna last that long?????? LOL

WELL THATS IT FOR Slidell La.

Note for Paveltolz, spent the nite in Laurel La. At Walmart. Sorry could not update u guys after leaving Oconnee but bad service. Next stop New Orleans and then New Iberia then Galveston n Hiuston or vice versa. Paul I luved the thing about the desert rsts on the desert living off the grid, dont think I am that tough!

2012-06-25 14.31.23.jpg2012-06-25 14.21.55.jpg2012-06-25 14.26.20.jpg2012-06-25 14.35.38.jpgForgot the pics. Thats Paul doing a boosted launch. Then tats Tim in his 98 6.5. Also Tims gauge cluster. Those trucks are so quick off the line, no spinning just grad traction n go,go,go gone.........

Back