• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My trip, the lil 6.2 that could!

Guess I could drop the antifreeze n run straight water. Wonder how much that would help?

Oh hell no! If you're pushing 210-215 with a 50/50 mix of anti freeze and water, you'll definitely run the risk of boil over on straight water, as the boiling point would be lowered to 212* unpressurized. Are you running Water Wetter in the cooling system? I run two bottles in my Burb, and last summer, with stock fan/clutch and 195 dual stats, would run Intestate at 82 MPH in 100*+ temps and barely get the temp gauge up to 200*! In fact, I could watch the needle swing about 10* as the rad cooled down to about 190 and the stats closed, then warm back up and open, then cycle and cool down again. A LOT better than before I added Water Wetter and the temp gauge would climb to 200-205 and just sit there all day.

as long as you run a pressurized system you should be fine

Attachments

• water-pressure-boiling-temperature-2.jpg
    water-pressure-boiling-temperature-2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 6
True enough from a theoretical laboratory stand point, AK, but as the Molly Hatchet song goes, he'd be "Flirtin' with disaster" running straight water as hot as he's been getting, 15 psi rad cap or not. That's the whole reason anti-freeze was developed, not only to prevent freezing, but to also raise the boiling point in a vehicle's cooling system to help prevent boil over.

Orrum, have you considered running a small auxiliary radiator mounted behind/below the bumper?

Where is the "Conowee National Forest" near? Not having a lot of luck finding it to pinpoint the location on the tracker.

Conecuh maybe?:???:

Gmornin Paul ! About 8 miles south of Eatonton Ga. I am at Lake Sinclaire Recreation Campground. Its in a national forest with one of those indian names a foot long! LOL Say hello to the wife n family for me. Truck is fine, she just cant do real mountains without "driving her".

Ak I have a friend in Oklahoma that says they drop the antofreeze every summer in the farm trucks n putt watter n watter wetter in, its for lubrication n rust inhibitor.

Husker I think I am ok in flat land and rolling hills but the real solution I think is to do as u suggested n get someone along the way to help me switch the clutch out to a 98 n put ur fan blade on it. So anyone with a Oriellys close by to exchange the clutch that wants to let me camp and help fix the clutch let me know and we can get Husker to ship the fan to you.

Paul, Pepp I really want to GTG with Doc n you so I would like to get there on Monday evening espeacially if I can camp there or at a local Walmart.

Ak I have a friend in Oklahoma that says they drop the antofreeze every summer in the farm trucks n putt watter n watter wetter in, its for lubrication n rust inhibitor.

Husker I think I am ok in flat land and rolling hills but the real solution I think is to do as u suggested n get someone along the way to help me switch the clutch out to a 98 n put ur fan blade on it. So anyone with a Oriellys close by to exchange the clutch that wants to let me camp and help fix the clutch let me know and we can get Husker to ship the fan to you.

Paul, Pepp I really want to GTG with Doc n you so I would like to get there on Monday evening espeacially if I can camp there or at a local Walmart.

Have you talked to Tim(TD) lately to see if he can do a Monday or Tuesday? it maybe difficult to gtg with him on a weekday...or you may have to meet him separate from me...

2012-06-19 18.34.17.jpg2012-06-22 08.42.18.jpgHere goes! I hope! The first pic is the Ruby Creek Mine and Campground . The next one is The Lil 6.2 sitting in the campground as I make breakfast here at Lake Sinclair Ga. The last is my precious gems found at Ruby Creek!

Attachments

• 2012-06-22 10.51.06.jpg
    2012-06-22 10.51.06.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 10
Y'all can do what you feel is best as to the water, if it were me, I would run 2 bottles of water wetter AND work on the new clutch and make it come on sooner...

The outside temps & hills are only going to get worse the farther west you go....

Ok lets discuss water wetter? Does it still work with antifreeze in the water? I thought it was 4 bottles for our trucks?

I aint a mechanic but the heater core radiator behind the bumper add on sounds plausible to me?

Found GOLD!!!!! Its mixed with pyrite, mica n very black dirt/sand but the expert assures me theres gold in there! Fairy stones dont exist, I am stickin with the theory that some lil man in Indonesia is grinding them out n selling them to the tourist shops! LOL On the good side while cooking supper I dropped my glasses n when I picked them up I saw a very nice two inch chunk of dark smoky quartz! Best I have found! Aint gotta be good if u r lucky! Will take pics but gems dont look like we expect until they are polished.

Radar I dont think the ambient temps in the rolling hills are gonna be a problem. My weight is just under 11000 n that will go down by 1500 as I burn the fuel up n use up supplies. That should help, plus I can handle lil mtns n long upgrades as long as they r not a 7% grade thats miles long. The climb out of the Pigeon River Gorge is about 20 miles. I did it in third gear at 40-45 mph with the heater on n never crossed 210 but its a slight upgrade with very short steep sections n the occasional flat stretch.

straight water would dissapate the heat better/faster

Aside from the fact that straight water would also boil at a much lower temperature than a 50/50 mix with ethylene glycol based antifreeze which negates any heat transference advantage (that's why a person uses Water Wetter or a similar product in combination with antifreeze), and the inherent risk of steam pockets in the heads and resultant head cracking, antifreeze also contains corrosion inhibitors to prevent the motor from rusting from the inside out or from dissimilar metals such as the iron block and heads from having an electrolytic reaction with an aluminum water pump and also contains lubricants for the water pump, neither of which straight water contains. There is a reason why the manufacturers stopped using straight water in their vehicles about 75 years ago. Again, Orrum, I would NOT use straight water in your rig as a way to try to control overheating/high temps. Risking your motor is NOT worth it, I certainly wouldn't run mine that way, diesel or gas.

That is the truth, here in Colorado we were at 100 today with about 8-10% humidity and the fire west of Ft Collins has taken off again and is burning like devil.

Been following that wild fire closely. Got an email picture from a friend of the family of the fire on the other side of the ridge from their front porch outside Ft. Collins/Laporte. Hope it doesn't affect the New Belgium Brewery, I love my Fat Tire Ale!:eek::cheers2::friday: I've white water rafted the Cache La Poudre River through Poudre Canyon outside of Laporte, CO with my son's Scout Troop. I'm leaving in 10 hours to drive out to Denver/Aurora. Dad said it was 106 in Denver yesterday! Well, the climb up and down the hills on I-76 on the way out will tell me if the 180* fan clutch and the Duramax fan help things any, I'm still running the 195* stats in it at the present time. My main worry is that the fan clutch will engage prior to the stats opening up, and will not disengage because the temp through the radiator will be too high with the stats open, causing the fan to run constantly and inducing a lot of drag, HP loss and decreased fuel mileage. I may just swap back in the old fan/clutch tonight.

Back