• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My trip, the lil 6.2 that could!

info on fans and drives, all GMT400s are serpentine, so as long as his truck is factory, it is serpentine.

IIRC, the spin on was 99.5+ and wasnt limited to the big HDs. my 99 chassis cab 3500 has it, and the motor out of a DRW pickup 3500 has it.

I think bills 4.10s will come in handy. I have faith he will make it over most any pass, just slowly.

I think the cooling problems arose when bill forgot to crack a bottle of homemade liquor on the bumper to christen the rig!

since horsepower is not plentiful which fan will take the least amount of power for a good job? wont the d-max fan cool the best, but pull fairly hard? I would think a 9 blade steel would do good, while not pulling too hard.

Thank goodness for the Eisenhower Tunnel! Could you imagine trying that on the old (still there) US 6? On the way back from L.A. back in '90 in my '82 Audi 5000 turbo diesel (5 cyl 2.2L IDI) I went charging up to Eisenhower at full boost of 8 psi and 58 mph. I passed a Corvette struggling along at about 35mph like it was going backwards. Wish I still had that car, Teutonic ride and handling sedan that got 32-38 mpg hiway. Unfortunately they were notorious for undersized/inefficient cooling systems in the diesel configuration (because of the length of the straight five engine in gas and diesel models, the radiator was off along side the engine on the driver's side at an angle, with a duct bringing air over. The diesel had a small12"x8"x1 1/4" auxiliary radiator in front of the engine behind the grill. Hot weather with A/C was the death of most of the turbo and N/A 5000 diesels, as the engine would over heat and cause the rings to lose their temper and thus their ability to seal against the cylinder wall. The result would be that it would start to burn oil (from the crankcase, not the fuel tank :) ) at an ever increasing rate and lose compression due to blowby at the same time. Mine succumbed to that fate on a run down to K.C. on I-29 at 80 mph with the A/C on on a nice balmy 104* July 4th day. Got into stop and go traffic in town and the temp gauge started climbing into the red and the head temp overheat warning light kept coming on. I was fast idling it while stopped in traffic to keep coolant flowing, with the A/C off, heater on and sunroof open all while the electric fan was running non-stop on the radiator. When I got to where I was going, I sat in the parking lot letting the engine idle down for almost 30 minutes and the damn temp gauge still stayed just into the red zone and the head temp lamp would flick on and off and the cooling fan never shut off on the radiator. Not to be late, I finally shut the engine off, figuring the cooling fan would shut off once the radiator cooled down. Came back five hours later and the 1000 amp battery was deader than a door nail - the electric fan never shut off and ran the battery dead! The heat soak was that bad! That started the end of the motor, as it began using oil at an ever greater rate, from a quart every 1,000 miles to the point a year later it would use two quarts just to run up to Omaha and back (120 mi round trip) and finally wouldn't start one summer day, even cycling the glowplugs three or four times, because the compression was so low.

That was back in '93. Cost to re-ring it back then was over $2K, it was $500 just for the head gasket and another $600 for the rings and that's IF it didn't need an over bore and next size up pistons due to the cylinder walls being smooth!!! Pistons would have added another $1200!!! For FIVE pistons!!! Hell of it was the car had only 68,000 miles on it, 50,000 of it easy motoring in L.A. when my grandfather owned it. Wish I still had that car now, and would have fixed the motor back then.

We won't go into the '74 Peugeot 504 diesel 4-speed stick I had back in college back in '80-81. N/A and a whole whopping 48 hp in a 4,000 lb car. The lead pig, but it got 25-28 mpg city and 34 on the hiway back when diesel was $0.30/gal. Great on a cheap college student's budget - left way more money for beer:thumbsup: when it cost me only $8 a month for fuel:shocked:!

2012-06-18 14.54.26.jpg2012-06-18 17.18.16.jpg2012-06-18 14.54.38.jpg2012-06-18 15.08.39.jpgHEY I MADE It !!!!!!!!! Anybody wants to know if The Lil 6.2 needs more cooling the answer is YES !!!!!! Had to do the heater thing to get over Cumberland Gap, kept it just a tad over 210. Hit a mountain right before Franklin that Billy Goat Gruff would a had a hard time with, the big rigs were going 15 mph n blocked me. Climbed the first half in second gear, the temp went to 220 so I pulled into a old motel n circled the parking lot 4 times to shed the heat n then let her idle down to 190 while I ate lunch. Then I turned the heater on and gave full rein to eat the road up, 35mph in third n topped out about 215 with a long 7% downgrade. turned on the ac, poor mans jake brake n never touched the brakes but twice very briefly. Arrived in Franklin at 210 n she made two rounds around Walmart n went to 190. Let sit n idle down for a bit in went shopping at Wally World.

Then toured Franklin, I am Scottish so checked out the Scottish Tartan museum n also the Gem museum. Then went to Cowee Mountain Ruby mine n watched some folks wash out their paydirt in the flume n learned, hopefully what to do and what to look for. Going to Rose Creek Ruby mine n Sheffields Ruby mine tomoro n try my luck! Here are some pics!

BigR great job on the directions! Thanks How bout getting me lined out for Meridian Miss. next please sir?

Glad you made it Bill, you've cleaned your rad out good if I remember? A better fan should help.

Bill,

I am glad you made it with no big issues other just a little heat. That Billy Goat Mountain before Franklin was Cowee Mountain and it has a mean curve or two on it as you probably saw. Franklin is a nice little town that has grown in the past few years. It has been a few years since I have been in that area, but my cousin was the school superintendent in that County (Macon) until recently. He took a job in Catawba County, NC as the superintendent.

I would have met up with you today, but due to my schedule it was impossible. I was in Waynesville yesterday, but came back home last night.

I suppose you are thinking about dropping down 441 / 23 South into the state of Georgia. Were you trying to avoid Interstates and Atlanta? According to Map quest there are two major routes involving interstates. One is right down US 441 / 23 south to I-285, then to I-20 west to I-59 near Birmingham, AL. The other route runs 64 West from Franklin across the big mountain to Hayesville, NC then to Murphy, NC towards Copper Hill, TN. From there on to Chattanooga, Tn. where you would hit I-59 South towards Bama. Of course there are a ton of back roads down in Georgia that some of those guys down that way could put you on. I have run I-59 south a bunch of times from Chattanooga to Birmingham and it is a pretty good road.

I didn't know if you wanted to go west of Franklin on US 64 West. On 64 West of Franklin there is a big mountain known as Winding Stair Gap. It is 7 to 8 miles to the top and the elevation at the top is 3,820 feet. I once saw a Ford pick up that was towing a trailer with firewood burn to the ground on that climb.

If you go 441 & 23 South into Georgia, most of your traveling is flatland and rolling hills. I have not been too far down that route except to Dillard , GA. where I ate at the Dillard House in Dillard, GA.

You mentioned you are going to Meridian, MS. I have an uncle down there, but he has recently been diagnosed with dementia. He did a crazy thing a few months ago. He left Meridian, MS. and drove to NC to see his sisters and brother. I had no clue about his condition or even that he was on the road. My mom called me and told me that he had been here and was trying to drive back to Meridian. We were lucky enough to talk him back home and he had the help of some good citzens along the way. Since then I think his wife has taken the car keys away.

Good luck and enjoy Franklin.

Good mornin BigR! I dont like the name of that mountain "big mtn " so 441 south with rolling hills sounds just right! LOL

So Nvw the rad is new and cleaned and new clutch, tsta and cap. Guess I could drop the antifreeze n run straight water. Wonder how much that would help?

I am over in jasper, ga. I work way too much, but love hearing you are passing through. My driveway sucks for parking, but you could sure park in the field if you want... Granted I am only a half mile from the walmart!

Holler at me if you come down through nw georgia. I am home evenings most days and with warning would cook you a meal!

Mike

Hey Chefmike I thank u for the invite but not going close to u. Gonna drop straight down 441 n go west after I have cleared Atlanta, no dedire to go thru there! LOL I dont mind camping in a field, I can use my generator then, cant use it in Walmart.

You said it Dieselslug! LOL Seen enough mountains tho for a while. Smooth sailing now, the locals say just foothills n then FLAT LAND!!!!!! Lil 6.2 roll on sweet heart!!!!

Camping at Rose Creek Campground tonite, there is a ruby mine on site here. They actually have a big trackhoe up on the hill digging down 20 feet to the placer deposits. U then shovel ur bucket full n go to the flume to wash n sort it. Got here to late to do any today but will hit them hard tomoro. Went to Cherokee mine and Sheffield mine today. Cherokee I got three small sapphires, one super nice moonstone, three nice rutile, bunch of garnet chips, no ruby. Sheffield was a con, scam ripoff. LOL

Got a pool here, gonna get in that thing tomoro! Its a lil hot out in the sun here. Probably stay here tomoro nite n pull out early for somewhere I Ga. Layover for the nite n then on to Meridian.

since horsepower is not plentiful which fan will take the least amount of power for a good job? wont the d-max fan cool the best, but pull fairly hard? I would think a 9 blade steel would do good, while not pulling too hard.

I'd rather have the D Max fan and stay cool and slow........To the steel 20" 9 blade, the D Max blade is Night and day.

Slow and steady wins this race......
JMO

Bill,
Sounds like you are having a pretty good time in Franklin. Enjoy that cool weather tonight. It will probably be one of the last cool nights for a while until you get back on some mountain on your trip. As you already know the further south you go the hotter its gonna be.

I would say that route of travel south down 441 / 23 will get you out of them there hills quicker than any other route.

Stay safe and remember there might be some bears in that area where you are camping.

Yep the weather is great BigR. Headin out tomoro into the muggy humid south! LOL Gonna clean up n eat n then post todays activity, cant seem to load pics here so maybe try the campground wifi.

I had read this was going to happen and just now got a chance to read the WHOLE thing and it sounds so neat to be that adventourous. I live in Loveland Co, an hour north of Denver and I-70 or 45 mnutes south of Cheyenne WY and I-80. I grew up in western Neb and many of the sights given by the people in Lincoln will take you to some nice places all over the state.I know people say Nebraska is flat and boring but I think several of the states to the south are worse. If you get to this area, I have plenty of room to park and not sure I would recomment Trail RIdge road for you as it is over 12K ft but is know as the highest continous mountain road in the country. You can go up on the4th of July and have snow. But if you are this way, I can certainly take some vacation and show you around. I need to still burn 2 wks vacation and I love giving tours..LOL I will now also keep up on this and see what is going on.

I know that if the truck holds up, you will only want to do this again, when I drove over the road, I loved the mid & western part of the US....

I hope that when me & the missis take a mind to head west that Y'all offer up some places for us & the horses, dog,& pet piggy to visit..... it will be a few years tho.....

Have fun Bill and keep my phone # in case ya need anything....

Short update, the reason I could not connect to the campground wifi was they dont have wifi! LOL Musta been using another camper n they pulled out. Anyway I am in Conowee National Forest camping out, only $4.50 per nite with my new Golden Pass for handicapped! Truck ran like a champ coming down here, long rolling hill upgrades no problem. Yall r right the fan clutch kicks in to late, I would hear it kick in n the temp would climb to 210 before it dropped, the fan clutch mod might be the ticket. Still only have 1x service on the tablet so cant send pics but will go into town tomoro n use a fast food wifi to catch yall up.

Raliegh I only have the factory gauge.

Thanks Silveradoman, maybe go to new england states next year.

Radar have to see how the truck does with the mountains out west plus had to leave half my veggie oil fuel behind so money for fuel will limit what I do. Just have to play it by ear pardner.

I got ur number Sctrailrider, will call u if I need relay help! Thanks!

Plan is to pan for gold tomoro and search for fairy stones! Lolo True, they are stone crystals formed into crosses! Spent a week in Fairy Stone State Park in Va as a kid lookin n never found one then. Its the state stone of Ga. Then a old horse show buddy of mine lives somewhere around here n gonna get up with him n his family and do the weekend ranch thing n then to Meridian Miss. Then Slidell n Pepperridges house. Paul if u r listening I will call u this wknd n set up a meet to get The TTS Oil Can. Expect to be at Pepperridge on Tues. Cutting it close since he is leaving that week on his own vacation! On a roll now tho, The Lil 6.2 is purring like a kitten n keeping that red hot temper of hers in check!!!!!

Short update, the reason I could not connect to the campground wifi was they dont have wifi! LOL Musta been using another camper n they pulled out. Anyway I am in Conowee National Forest camping out, only $4.50 per nite with my new Golden Pass for handicapped! Truck ran like a champ coming down here, long rolling hill upgrades no problem. Yall r right the fan clutch kicks in to late, I would hear it kick in n the temp would climb to 210 before it dropped, the fan clutch mod might be the ticket. Still only have 1x service on the tablet so cant send pics but will go into town tomoro n use a fast food wifi to catch yall up.

Raliegh I only have the factory gauge.

Thanks Silveradoman, maybe go to new england states next year.

Radar have to see how the truck does with the mountains out west plus had to leave half my veggie oil fuel behind so money for fuel will limit what I do. Just have to play it by ear pardner.

I got ur number Sctrailrider, will call u if I need relay help! Thanks!

Plan is to pan for gold tomoro and search for fairy stones! Lolo True, they are stone crystals formed into crosses! Spent a week in Fairy Stone State Park in Va as a kid lookin n never found one then. Its the state stone of Ga. Then a old horse show buddy of mine lives somewhere around here n gonna get up with him n his family and do the weekend ranch thing n then to Meridian Miss. Then Slidell n Pepperridges house. Paul if u r listening I will call u this wknd n set up a meet to get The TTS Oil Can. Expect to be at Pepperridge on Tues. Cutting it close since he is leaving that week on his own vacation! On a roll now tho, The Lil 6.2 is purring like a kitten n keeping that red hot temper of hers in check!!!!!

very close...I work Tuesday morning but will be done by 10a.m....we can meet for lunch and I'll pass you the can...

I'm rolling out Wed. morning...if you run late, I will figure out a place to leave the can for you to pick up.

Uh oh lets make it monday Paul. I will pull out of here on Sunday n layover in Alabama n get to you on monday n get out of ur way so u can pack etc without me interfering.

Uh oh lets make it monday Paul. I will pull out of here on Sunday n layover in Alabama n get to you on monday n get out of ur way so u can pack etc without me interfering.
We've been getting things ready little by little...Tuesday is fine Bill...I'm actually whooped after a 12 hour day on Mondays anyway...

you still have to stop in Meridian I believe, and I'm not sure if you have a meeting planned with Tim(TD) yet, but factor that into your plans...

It's your call what you ultimately end up doing, but just wanted you to know you didn't have to push it up a day sooner...

Back