• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My trip, the lil 6.2 that could!

Ok 635 tha sounds way good! I also want to see a desert. Without getting stranded and dieing of thirst and exposure! LOL Is there anybody out there that lives in a desert or right beside a desert? Wonder how the lil 6.2 will do huffing and puffing thru the desert? How about bugs in the condenser while traveling? I have heard stories about the bugs completely jamming the air flow. Can u put or get a screen of some kind?

Well, it ain't a desert, per se, but the Sandhills of Nebraska was an active dune field 8,000 years ago and now is hundreds of square miles of rolling grasslands. Was the buffalo grazing grounds, along the Oregon, Mormon and Pony Express Trails and their history and the area is just east of Carhenge. If you make it to Lincoln, NE, you're more than welcome to park in the shade at my house, plug in, use the shower, etc. Nebraska Hwy 2 out of Lincoln will take you across the state, through the Sandhills, by Carhenge and into Wyoming near Devils Tower.

Advance has to order from factory, how long does rock auto take to ship? Advance has Imperial. Rock auto is Hayden. Any difference, both r severe duty.

I like hayden, but can't comment either way on Imperial..... haven't had any experience with them. Rock auto will ship "overnight" but it's going to be expensive and you probably won't get it till tuesday or wednesday now anyway. The order would go through Monday, ship tuesday, then you get it wednesday. I know it doesn't make much sense, but I ordered stuff overnight from them one time and went through the same thing. Is there a napa around there? Usually they can get stuff the next day. Probably worth checking into.

Well, it ain't a desert, per se, but the Sandhills of Nebraska was an active dune field 8,000 years ago and now is hundreds of square miles of rolling grasslands. Was the buffalo grazing grounds, along the Oregon, Mormon and Pony Express Trails and their history and the area is just east of Carhenge. If you make it to Lincoln, NE, you're more than welcome to park in the shade at my house, plug in, use the shower, etc. Nebraska Hwy 2 out of Lincoln will take you across the state, through the Sandhills, by Carhenge and into Wyoming near Devils Tower.

good to see you around here again neighbor. if he dose make it to NE we shuld all meet up somewhere im only 30min from lincoln

Day of Departure

Here's a self portrate of our happy wanderer...before the fan clutch crapped out anyway. :eek5:
0608120800b.jpg

Glad you made it there safe.

0608121334a.jpg0608121947a.jpg0608121334a.jpg0608121947a.jpgOk that was the wrong button. Pulled Fancy Gap, the worst grade east of the Miss river with a fan clutch kicking in n out, mostly out the last half mile! Its a seven mile long pull. Go ahead, talk sh!t about "These trucks not towing"!!!!! I like to see a powerstroke with no turbo and a crapped out fan do that n live to tell about it!!!!!! I LUV MY TRUCK Gonna try to attach a pic of me n the lil 6.2 grinding out Fancy Gap. Also went to the Alison Gap Jamboree tonite n listened to some fine old time country n bluegrass! Was mighty fine! Guess I will order a fan clutch tomoro from Advance. Allright I did it double, so I am learning! LOL The guy sitting down playing the guitar is Mac Davidson , he is part of my clan, the Davidsons. His son is Clay Davidson a famous star singer till he wrecked n his daughter died. Now the Dabidson family performs n Clsy is "retired". Thanks everone for the info on fan clutches.

Wow 3500 GMC u can read n write!

Hey Red n Raleigh I be to c yall, not gonna let a lil fan clutch bother me! Fan all covered n snot from the thing leaking. Worked good for the first half of the trip. Just had to keep her above 60 to run with a bad clutch.

Chevycowboy I fixing to check oriellys online.

Bison I be there next summer, I want a skull with horns.

Hey Husker6.5 carhenge is on the list I be there after while!

Chief I gonna get a Advance they say it be there Tuesday.

Paul look I did pics, they aint got much for car parts here but the 3g service for my tablet is great!

Just thought of something (isn't that amazing!). Somebody that has the skills needs to put together an album of Bills' trip in pictures, and maybe a map showing his route and stops.

Don

Just thought of something (isn't that amazing!). Somebody that has the skills needs to put together an album of Bills' trip in pictures, and maybe a map showing his route and stops.

Don

I tried to upload a KMZ file from Google but need more edumacation. Not permitted or recognized file type.

This BMP will have to do I guess.Bill Orrum Travel.jpg

We should trade some painting for AC work... Shout out when you are nearing AZ.

I would check the cooling system on startup for sudden hard hoses and for any increase in blowby from the cooling fan failure. I have been down that fan failure road, but, the engine was worth another 7000 miles with a cracked piston before it died. The cracked head on the 1988 from a heater plug falling out was 6 months and lots of water added before I changed the head...

This does not apply to v-belts: If you have a serpentine belt see if they have a fan clutch for a 1998 in stock and get a 9 blade (1998) 4 bolt steel fan from a Chevy dealer. I am thinking you have the 6 bolt fan clutch and 6 blade fan. May have parts quicker. NA may not need the cooling upgrade. (Both clutches are 4 bolt to the water pump.) The 2002 Duramax fan is overkill and may require you to trim the shroud. But that fan likely is in stock at the dealer.

Hey, I just drove Fancy Gap last month. Was in a rental car on the way to pick up my boss's new GT-R. Did it both climbing and descending. That was a fun climb. Better than some of the hills I've climbed out here in Utah.

here are few of my tricks that I use, and think are helpful. some may not be, but I havent had negative results for sure (havent gained any blowby or blew anything up using these tips) may have some repeats from earlier, but figured I would condense:

1A) if you find yourself going over 210 with plenty of hill left, heater on, blower on medium. low doesnt dump enough heat, and hi, the air doesnt seem to pick up enough heat to dump.
1B) you can use defrost if the a/c doesnt work, but if it does, avoid defrost, as this runs the a/c system to remove moisture. this will add heat to the stack.

2A) once you crest the summit, kill the heater, going back to full cool vent. this tries to moderate the temp, allowing it to cool more slowly.
2B) if the guage starts dropping, kick on the a/c to try and retain some heat in the cooling stack for a period of time. (and act as a poor mans jake brake! :D )

properly working t-stats should make the downhill part unneccesary, but I feel that cooling off metal too quickly, and dissimilar temps (cold coolant intake on a still very hot motor) is cause for warping and cracking, so I try to modulate temps whenever I can.

of course kick off the a/c going up hill, it diverts all main engine power to warp drive. :)

in the end, the info is worth what you paid, and the cost to use it comes with the purchase price! :)

good luck!

btw, is this a whole summer long expedition? if so, when might you be in Idaho?

good to see you around here again neighbor. if he dose make it to NE we shuld all meet up somewhere im only 30min from lincoln

I'm up in Omaha half the time each week, up here now. Spend weekends Fri-Mon up here, rest of the week at home in Lincoln.

I've got a brand new HD fan clutch with the composite Duramax blade on it sitting on the center seat of my '98 Burb waiting to be put on. My fan clutch seems to be going out, made the run back from Omaha the other day and on a light hill doing 75 the damn thing was smoking to beat hell and downshifted to 3rd, AND when I start it up and am driving around town the thing sounds like a turbo prop plane when I accelerate, is down on power and smokes way too easy, plus at idle it has this nasty vibration now that shakes the front end pretty good. I'm assuming that the clutch is locking up on the fan, I can see some staining on the shaft coming out of the back of the clutch. Must be something in the air making fan clutches fail this week.

Hey Husker6.5 carhenge is on the list I be there after while!

Chief I gonna get a Advance they say it be there Tuesday.

Paul look I did pics, they aint got much for car parts here but the 3g service for my tablet is great!

Get your Rand McNally out and drop south from Carhenge to Alliance, then catch Nebraska Hwy 2 down through the Sandhills. Gorgeous drive and country. You'll drive through the little town of Cairo, you gotta check out the names of the town's streets (somebody had a sense of humor back then).

Gmornin War Wagon, great info I will check the hoses n I already know the blowby is ok, I took the dipstick out when I got here n no discernable difference. Used no oil on the trip to amount to anything, I am gonna change the oil tho in case I cooked it. I have a serpentine belt. Oriellys says they can have a hayden nexr day. If I find a 98 fan on the trip I will buy another clutch n put it on. Hint ,find, Free!

Orionthade its was a tough hill, glad to hear u tbink its like Utah, since those western mtns scare me.

GM GUY Thanks I did the heater thing but had it on high, next time I use medium n the rest of ur tricks. Duh how bout no next time :-D Yes its all summer n yes I will be thru Kansas n visit with u, gotta see the Wizard, I need a new leg!!!! ROFLMAO

Does the ac really work like a jake brake? U shouldnt make fun of the handicapped GM Guy! Seriously I did not need to brake going down the mountain, it was in OD n held itself back, I never drove a older model truck that did that. DO NOT TELL ME THATS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN N THE TRANNY IS SHOT! LOL

Back