• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Ted's engine, finally

Yes. It was driving me crazy because like yours it sounded like valvetrain noise and would clear up when air cleared. It would stay quiet for a day and come back. Like I said before the FFM heater element had hole in it and leaked out wire. Then there were the injector lines that one needed retorquing. The noise still was there but took a day to reappear. I finally noticed the cloth on the return hose was darker than others and put clamps on that one. If this happened on the passenger side behind turbo, I would still be looking. The clear line on the return out of IP confirmed no air along with no noise. The other thing is that setting time at -1.94 makes it alarmingly noisy and still worries me, except for the part where it goes like a scalded cat. Good luck, it took me a good month of testing and driving to work out all the plumbing leaks. All minor weaping, but the list of what didn't need retightening was way shorter than what did. My install took place outside in cold winter though.

If you are sure it is #8, but not sure if injector or valve train, pull the injector and swap it with one easy to get to. If the noise moves to the new cylinder...

It would be better than a possible peeing injector burning one of those nice/pretty/new pistons. A 4hr job to dig out one injector is better than a rebuild because you didnt.

Were these injecors new/rebuilt from a shop or did they come in the engine?

Maybe the injector line got missed at tightening time? (it happens, dont ask how I know)

I am just throwing out ideas. It seems to me if there was air the fuel that more than 1 injector would tick.

I had not time yet to dig inside this engine..., not even hunting potential air leaks : too much to do... and still having to fight with rainy days...

The little update is that the tic is not coming from passenger side but from driver side... That should make things easier

She tics when cold, usually gets more quiet when growing hotter, and when hot, sometimes she tics, sometimes not...

AAArgh. The lifter has quit. It is stuck and now the engine knocks as hell and smokes white a lot (unburnt fuel)...

Sure I'm cursed. I bought the Ted's to replace a clanky and oil eater engine with lifter troubles, and now, again, I have to face a lifter problem on my new engine...
I start to get tired of all this, it seems that whatever you do, these 6.5l are money pits...:mad2:

That being said, I was told that you don't need to remove the head to replace lifters? All you need is a magnet, 10 inches extension+ # 13 magnetic socket and a long screwdriver?

Have you ever done that? :???:

Try this first, drop the oil and add 3 quarts of trans fluid along with 3 quarts of 15-40. Let it run and see if the trans fluid will make the lifter clear up. The lifter insides could just have a small ridge.

The head can stay on, did enough cam swaps to know that. If not, then remove all necessary parts to get to the valve cover. When installing the lifters, they can only go in the bore a certain way, the important part is to make sure the bar holding the 2 lifters together is set correct, or it will break and little pieces of metal go everywhere.

You will also need a very bright flashlight and a dental mirror, if it is #5 or #7 cylinder. Make sure your magnet is strong with a narrow tip.

These roller lifters are not 6.2 and 6.5 specific either, 6.9 and 7.3 use the same lifters.

Hope this helps!

You can change them with the heads on, but it can be a bit of a challenge. Just some long needle-nose pliers, extra long screw driver and a lot of patience.

Pheeew, I feel better.

Till the beginning, there's a ticking lifter in this engine.

Yesterday, when suddenly the things worsen and the tick turned to a huge knock + smoke, I though "Oh no, lifter seized..."
Even though I saw the knock went away when I disabled the injector with the scanner, I still thought about this lifter.

This morning, after a good coffee, light suddenly comes on in my brain: What about the injector?

I rushed to the old engine and picked up a good Bosch reman I left on it. Pulled the one on Cyl#1, replaced it with the "old" one, glow, key on, and...Bingo!

Now I'm back with this "little" lifter tick, and no more huge knock.

I had just experienced one of the most noisy stuck opened injector I've ever heard...

So, I have now to find which lifter is spoiling my joy. Waiting for the electronic sthetoscope to narrow it.

I heard people had some luck flushing the engine and putting oil additive to shut the mouth of noisy lifters? Any opinion?

I once had an injector line rubbing the valve cover,and it made a ticking sound. I would not be very quick to suspect a lifter,they have plenty of preload from factory. No doubt another injector is just leaking slightly,but that usually is more of a knock.

An old mechanic told me to use about 1 ounce of methanol in the oil to free a sticky lifter. It has worked well for me.

Since the beginning with this engine, I'm focusing on a failed lifter because of ticking/knocking noise, exactely the same as if it is a rocker running with a too wide a gap...

Noisy at start-up, then after several seconds, ... less noisy but still there. While driving/cruising, it does make noise only when i release accelerator pedal, no noise while cruising.

Last week, I had injector #1 failing and knocking as hell. I succeed runnig the engine by disconnecting injector 1 using the injector balance (GMDTScantech). While running without injector 1, the engine was not so bad, though I was still able to hear the tick/knock that is annoying me.

Changing injector and everything was OK on cylinder 1.

Then, today, I did an injector balance, thinking about what 6.2 says, disconnecting each injector one by one.

Still tick/knock....untill I disconnect #8... #8 out : no more tick/knock...

I will try to take some time this week-end to replace this injector... cross fingers for me mates ;)

I put 8 brand new BOSCH injectors. Started 1st by the ones on passenger side. Drove the truck like that, the ticking was still there but at a really low level.
Next week, put the 4 driver side injectors...., and ticking comes back :eek: :WTF:

This will stay as is once I get time enough to fight with the roller lifters :mad2:... or may be I'll try flushing the oil circuit, once I find which flushing fluid to use

Back