• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Ted's engine, finally

this is the chain from the hoist attached to forklift. I'll take a pic of the "sytem" tomorrow ;)

And yes, it goes pretty easy & fast. My father in law (my wife step father), best friend and also my mechanic knows what to do, step by step, to pull an engine and put back the new one in 2-3 days. So, I'm pretty confident the Ted's engine will be close to run tomorrow evening ...

There's just something which spoil my joy : I just realise I made a wrong choice in paint quality. The yellow one does resist to heat up to 800 °C, but doesn't resist to solvant like gasoline :mad2::mad2:

I hope it does to engine degreaser at least...

Looks great Matuva. Congratulations. You are an inspiration to a 'newbie' like me who is planning a job like this in September. I am eager to see the Chain Hoist setup. Sorry about the yellow paint. The color choice looks great however.

Thanks guys :D

Here's the hoist setup ;)

IMG_20130701_084917.jpg

the fresh reman low stall converter

IMG_20130701_083411.jpg

on the way

IMG_20130701_084930.jpg IMG_20130701_084909.jpg

inside, at 9 AM

IMG_20130701_132802.jpg

At this point, I was expecting to have the engine running at the end of the day...

but a :cussing: chinese brand new motor mount made us loosing 2 hours... then starter bolts too found we were going to fast and easy... and we lost an extra hour before understanding that, if the threads of the bolts are just fine, their body is too thick, and we had to grind them...

So, we still need to connect the TC, mount starter and turbo, air filter, batteries, and finish some goodies before I can hear this engine roar...

as long as weather allow us to work. Weather forecast say it will rain tomorrow :eek:10:

Looks great. There will be bumps in the road on these installs, and you are getting it done way faster than I did. One of the bumps on my install was the girlfriend hanging a birdfeeder near my truck. Over the course of the weekend away from the truck, a mouse filled the turbo with birdseed. I then bought the ATT. Hope the weather holds out for you.

Looks great. There will be bumps in the road on these installs, and you are getting it done way faster than I did. One of the bumps on my install was the girlfriend hanging a birdfeeder near my truck. Over the course of the weekend away from the truck, a mouse filled the turbo with birdseed. I then bought the ATT. Hope the weather holds out for you.

@Hookedup50 - that is a lesson to be learned for sure. Thanks for sharing that - reminds me to keep my guard up.

Been dodging the pesky storms here too for about two weeks now... Last oil change took 4 hours, can't get the dump truck in the garage.

Best of luck with the build. Looking good. :thumbsup:

Went to see the Blazer today.

We just go out of 2 full days of heavy rains and storms. Flash flooding every where, lot of damages...

Today, my father in law continue working on the truck. She is almost finished. Tomorrow friday, and saturday morning we will be busy caring customer's trucks, but hopefully we will have time enough to complete the install of the new engine and have it running by saturday evening...

cross fingers :cool:

Good luck with the weather. I have had similar weather here with squalls and flooding and shear, which has resulted in nothing getting done. Metal prep and welding seems to be a bad idea in the rain. It was a very exciting day when I fired up back in March, particularly cause it went smoothly.

She's alive!!!

Job finished today! We then just had to bleed IP by cranking with driver side glow plugs removed, and the engine does even fire on the 4 cylinders of passenger side :hihi:

IMG_20130706_102958.jpg

A friend passing by had a good idea ;)

IMG_20130706_161944.jpg

The rest of the settings were trouble free, easy IP timing, and so, and so...

The engine runs really smooth and strong. Worth every penny :agreed:

Just one thing that make me anxious is my reman torque converter: This is said to be a low stall one. We filled the trans, make the engine running and check levels. After we finish celebrating the end of job, I took the Blazer back home.
Bad surprise, it seems the TC doesn't enggae, I had tor rev engine around 1500-2000 rpms to move.
While cruising, it is fine, but if I release the acelerator to slow down and re-accelerate, the engine rev free before the TC engages...

Should I have done something special to bleed the TC? Did I make something wrong? :skep:

Excellent work. The paint color looks sweet. So happy to see an economical 6.5 solution work for you down in New Caledonia. Celebrate big time. If it were me, I'd go throw poppers for GTs.

It seems I have a rocker ticking, especially at iddle.

Oh there's nothing critical, just a tick, but this engine is soooo smooth that this tick annoys me :D

A friend called me a fussy meticulous :hihi: though, I just wonder why it ticks, as I thought that this can't happen with hydraulic roller lifters :???:

Will this 'tick' go away with the isolation of an injector fitting cracked open.. Process of elimination?

Or maybe your fuel system is able to be disabled one by one electronically...

I had a road test this evening. Yes, now I'm rather wondering about an injector instead of a rocker.
If I remember correctely, it wasn't ticking when we first run the engine.
This have appeared after few kilometers, and the engine runs smooth, but not as it should IMHO: there's a tiny "hiccup" cycling.

I will do injector balance with GMTDscantech when I'll have more time this week-end to narrow things...

I fought injector noise from air for a month after Teds install. Air got in the ffm from hole in fuel heater element. Then a new source would spring up, ending with a push on return hose weeping. I always could get a slight wiff of diesel, but never easy to find source.

Love the engine color!

Looking good...and i know the feeling of working around the rain. My current shop is big enough to nose the truck into and thats it.

-Nick

I tried to do injector balance tuesday evening (your time), but she did not tic.

Wenesday morning she was quiet too, and wenesday evening she was ticking again :skep: :???:

This morning, she is quiet again... :wtf:

I'm a bit at lost... injector? lifter?

And of course, the tic seems to come from the #8 cylinder... If from #1, it would have been to simple...

Back