• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Shop

Definitely making some progress. The filler hole hasn't had vinegar on it much. Three or four times I dipped my finger in and rub it around, and periodically when I would check it it was trying to overflow because of gas building up in the tank. I took a small wire brush to the lip and it cleaned up pretty good. I'm thinking of tumbling it too and trying to decide what to use. Definitely want it to be magnetic so I can get everything out.IMG_20200716_120516.jpg

So I drained the vinegar out and rinsed it out. Then I put a gallon of hot water with baking soda in it to neutralize it. Then I rinsed it out with acetone and dried it. Looked so much better inside.IMG_20200717_140510.jpg
Then I put the redkote in and swirled it around. The worst part of all of it was having to siphon the last cup or so out each time I changed fluids. Kinda interesting I used a piece of clear tubing to siphon with, I discovered I could jiggle the hose and get it to suck out the rusty bits too. I could see them going through the hose so I knew when I had most of it out.IMG_20200717_150609.jpgIMG_20200717_150622.jpg

It actually had 2 leaks, both were in the pinch weld at the low spot of the tank on both sides. Couldn't find any actual holes, seemed to be leaking between the layers. I expected alot worse. But yes the redkote is supposed to fill pinholes

Probably will take a week or more to dry, got a hair dryer blowing into it now. Even with it set on cool the tank is slightly warm to the touch. Part of the reason it will take so long is it was hard to get the excess out.

I made a tumbler from a BBQ roticerrie thingabob. Used a length of shafting and mounted it in a frame work I made up. Used a pillow block bearing on the one end of the shaft and the roticerie thing on the other. Drilled a hole for a bolt about 1/2 way between the legs. Made a bracket to bolt to the tank mounts that had one hole for that shaft bolt. That way I could pivot the tank so every bot of the inside could get pounded by the dry wall screws.
I’ll get a pic of it when I get back home.
That roticerie motor/gear box lasted about five days tumbling then the gears stripped. If I would have made a counter weight it probably would still be going.

Thats why ya watch for $20 or free stove when people upgrade to a fancy one.
OR if ya know the wife would like that new model, you show up with it and install for her.
Win-win. Now you have a parts oven for welding rod, curing paint like this or get addicted to coatings like Chris. Also could double as a heater winter.

Started putting it back together. I'm missing a bolt that holds the rectifier and radiator overflow tank on, it's on order. On of the few parts I can still get. The seat is stained/dirty if anyone has any suggestions for cleaning it I'm all ears.IMG_20200718_120613.jpg

Started putting it back together. I'm missing a bolt that holds the rectifier and radiator overflow tank on, it's on order. On of the few parts I can still get. The seat is stained/dirty if anyone has any suggestions for cleaning it I'm all ears.View attachment 61422
Might try a little rub of some brake and parts cleaner, in an out of sight area. Be sure it dont make the vinyl gooey and color transfer from rag to make it worser.
Usually removes most stains.
Another solution is some baking soda and water it to a paste. Use a softer scrub brush and scrub it around. I know it sure worked good for removing rust stains from fabric.

I had a V Max. It was too tame sounding stock so I drilled holes in the ends of the factory mufflers and it gave it a tough sound. I miss that bike, though I’m probably alive now because I sold it back then. That thing was too much engine for that frame, but fun as hell.

In 84 when this bike first came out in europe it was the fastest production bike in the world. Specs were 150 mph top speed, 0-60 in 4.2. I ran it at the strip one time and had the rear tire slip out and had to restart and still did low 11s. I had alot of fun on this bike :)
Mirrors would fold in at about 120. The school is about 1/2-3/4 mile away from my driveway I could hit 140 and still turn in there

Back