• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Plow Truck

So I recently bought a powermaster alternator for this truck. I had also upgraded the battery cables not too long ago but I hadn't done anything to the charge wire. I ended up putting a 4 gauge wire on it. I also added a 150A fuse right at the alternator. I've been kinda disappointed with the powermaster tech guys. They looked it up for me and thealternator I ordered was the wrong one, so I looked it up myself and got one that would work. I was originally thinking I could get one that would be the same for both my 94 and my 99 but that's not the case. If I had to do it over again I would have gotten the cs130 instead of the cs130d, same charging specs. Also when I asked powermaster tech guys about the fusible link wire they tried to tell me mine didn't have one from the OEM, which it did, and that they don't use any kind of fusible link or wire.

So the interior is pretty much back together. Ended up having to rework some of the door lock wiring. Turns out there's quite a bit of difference in the door wiring between the suburban/crewcabs and a 2 door pickup. But now I have power heated mirrors and I really disliked the window switches being in the vertical position all together with the door lock switch. Never could find the right one in the dark, which is most of the time I use it. Fixed the interior lights while I was at it. Seems really freshened up now. Oh if anyone has or comes across the suburban switch panel that is in blue and in really good shape I'd be interested.View attachment 55173View attachment 55174View attachment 55175View attachment 55176
I agree, this style is much better. I got all the parts to do it on my old truck and then sold prior to repainting and installing.

So plow season is upon us so it's time for a little love for the plow truck. I bought another set of batteries from batteries plus, I really like the ones in my other truck so far. After the batteries it just the usual check fluids etc.

IMG_20201105_143942.jpgIMG_20201105_143935.jpg

I have a fisher but I think any of the major brands are fine. I would upgrade the alternator on your burb if you use it. Need one with plenty of amps at idle to handle the electrical needs

I have a fisher but I think any of the major brands are fine. I would upgrade the alternator on your burb if you use it. Need one with plenty of amps at idle to handle the electrical needs

How many amps are needed? I did not have good luck the last time I went with a high amp alternator.

I would want 100+ amps at idle. Alot of the so called high output one put out very little at idle. What kind of plowing are you going to be doing? If your mainly just angling the blade and pushing off to the side a regular straight blade would be fine, if your clearing a semi large area there's quite a few options available but the price and weight go up accordingly

I would want 100+ amps at idle. Alot of the so called high output one put out very little at idle. What kind of plowing are you going to be doing? If your mainly just angling the blade and pushing off to the side a regular straight blade would be fine, if your clearing a semi large area there's quite a few options available but the price and weight go up accordingly

Just need a straight angle blade. Was looking at the Myers Home Plow. We don't get too much accumulation here, but have a 1/4 mile long driveway.

Some of the homeowner plows are pretty light duty but as long as you don't run into anything you should be fine.

Just went back through this thread to see how old my batteries were, the first post has a picture with them in there, 2010. No complaints there, hopefully these will do at least as well.

Oh well. Do you have a battery maintainer that you keep on them during the off-season to keep them charged?

Should invest in one. Not that expensive and keeps a controlled trickle charge on the batteries so that they're fully charged at all times. Really extends the life of a battery when it's not discharging down to nearly dead and then recharged back to full multiple times.

“If it aint broke, don’t fix it.”

10 years from that battery without a charger on it- don’t alter what worked. The amount you used it and cost of battery and lack of baby sitting it- got your money’s worth and then some. Add the cost of a charger why? Maybe get an extra year or two? Or maybe shorten it a year or two. When you experiment with something and get a great result, repeat it, don’t add a new variable.

There are some Batteries plus stores here, but all independently operated and they don’t do warranty for each other. I’ve used them for personal and professional needs, but won’t buy vehicle batteries where warranty is stuck on one supplier. I wonder what company actually manufactures that battery.

If someone has a battery not getting good lifespan, then yes add one - play with the variables. Just remember to start with the basics: Dirt across the top often has conductive minerals which discharge across them so keep it clean & Ensure no constant electrical draw. Keep connections clean & secure.

Back