• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My original OEM batteries just failed. Not bad for a 2006 AC Delco

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Well. I knew I would be replacing them soon, as I was on borrowed time. I really just wanted to get through the winter. It was actually kind of my fault, as I came out in the morning, and noticed that my hard wired rear back up lights were on. My keyless entry would not work. I used the key to open the door. I shut off the lights. I tried to start it and just a little turn from the starter and then the clicks. I tried to charge it with a small charger that I had. I eventually jumped it and it started up. I let it run for a good hour and a half. I put the charger back on it over night. It started the next day. Last night I did not put the charger on it, and it did start this morning, but just barely, as I could tell the batteries had no juice left in them.
I did a lot of research and I after calling several places and getting prices, I decided to go with the Sears Platinum P4 AGM (Odyssey AGM) batteries. I paid $380 out the door for the pair. (The Odyssey's from a local dealer with my discount were $270 each) I asked the sales person at Sears to give me the newest matched pair that he had. He went in the back room and came out with these 2 with a March 2013 date on them. He stated they just got them in this week. I was happy for that. They have 850 CCA's which is more than the OEM batteries had. They spin the motor very quickly. Now, only time will tell if they last as long as my OEM's did. 7 years from the original AC Delco's is not bad at all. I took out the passenger side battery looking for signs of leakage, and found none. I was happy for that. I snapped a few photos.
I took off the rubber padding from the OEM batteries and put them on the new batteries. I thought it may give a little extra protection from heat inside the engine compartment.

Attachments

• DSCN9853.jpg
    DSCN9853.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN9857.jpg
    DSCN9857.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN9858.jpg
    DSCN9858.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN9863.jpg
    DSCN9863.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN9864.jpg
    DSCN9864.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN9867.jpg
    DSCN9867.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 3
I looked into them 3 years ago and at that time they were having problems with the side posts going out. I'm pretty limited on batteries as I have to use a group 75 in the drivers side on mine, and there aren't many group 75 AGM style batteries.

Good for you Jeff. I went with Interstate 85 mo Megatron Plus when my OEMs died 16 months ago simply because the truck was in my shop and the guys with batteries just happen to be 1/2 mile away across the corn field...:hihi: I only put the rubber cover on the pass side because the other one was torn up. Probably from the bodywork when I drilled the deer a few years ago.

I sold my 06 truck after 4.5 years with the originals on it. I could tell they would need replacing by winter but not bad at all.

7 years, wow. The originals in my 06 made it about 2 years before the passenger side started leaking and made a mess. I think the summer heat down here kills them faster.

Those look good and the price wasn't too bad either!

I think the batteries would have still been usable if I did not leave the rear backup lights on. I think the heavy voltage drain of the batteries did them in. They would not come back after being charged. The Sears Platinum P4 battery is made by Odyssey. These are real stout and put together very well. I think the side terminal design could be a little better, but time will tell. 4 year free replacement with a 100 month prorated warranty.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/batteries.html

Jeff,

You sure did get the use out of those for sure, especially being in a cold climate.

I hate to say much about mine, you know sometimes you talk about something lasting and it goes bad the next day or so.

Ok, here goes. Knock on wood my truck still has the original AC Delco Batteries. I bought my truck new on December 7, 2005 so I would guess my batteries are older than December of 2005. I have not looked at the date on them. There thats done, I guess they will now go bad, but I sure have got the use out of them.

I think our trucks are very similar in production dates. Mine was also a very early 2006. My batteries were fine, but I accidentally left on a set of 55W fog lights that I wired as backup lights. They basically drained the batteries so low, that I could not bring them back, even after charging. They worked fine prior to that. I figured that I got my money's worth out of them, so I had to replace. I have about 96K on the truck so far.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :D

I replaced the original in my '05 this past winter. More for peace of mind than anything. After sitting 2-3 weeks at a time it was slow to turn over. Never had to jump start it, but I didn't want to wait until then. Knowing my luck it would be at a time when I needed the truck ASAP.

I just replaced batteries on my '99. The PO had just put in some Durastart batteries prior to my buying the truck in January 2010. The starter started turning over slower, so I took them in to be load tested and they were substandard.

I also took in the Diehards from my son's wrecked '95. One battery was broken internally, the other was substandard under load. One was still under 100% replacement warranty, the other was pro rated at $40. So for $95 I walked out with two Diehard Golds that retail for $254. They offered the AGMs, but I passed on them. Truck is back to cranking over fast.

Now I need to find out if Autozone has a warranty on their Durastart batteries.

BigT yes they have a warranty, in december I exchanged mine in my 01 burb (6.0) that was in there for almost 3 years.
My oem batt int that lasted 7 yrs.
RI Chevy got 6-7 yrs
BT Farm got 5-6 yrs
Boostn got 4.5-5 yrs (expected sold truck)
Saratoga only 2 yrs (presumably under warranty I hope!)
Dad's got 6yrs
BigR got 7 yrs
Trouttrooper got 6yrs.
6 years seems to be ok to expect. How long do you guys get out of the others? I run dry cell because I abuse my truck. over 3 tons, being airborne, muddy water submerge, horrible places offroad. The battery tray is designed to tear off in a bad roll over and if I do it I dont want liquid acid added into the mix.

Just an update. My AGM batteries just crapped out. It seems like they just fall off a cliff when they go bad. I guess I shouldn't complain, as I got 6 years and 8 months out of the 4 year batteries.
I went with WALMART branded EVERSTART 78N batteries. 5 year warranty batteries. 800CCA.
We will see how these do...
$93.26 each...
The AGM batteries are much more difficult to maintain, as you must use the snoflake setting on chargers. They are also much more expensive then lead acid batteries. SO hopefully I get another 7 years or so from these batteries. If the truck doesn't rot in half. 😐

Back