• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My new truck

dealer ran the vin and said it was 3.42 . a friend of mine and I jacked it up and counted the revolutions and came with the same 3.42

same as Don, other than I'm getting really busy I'd check it out a little closer but I'm thinking 4.10s and I must not have done the turn the wheel thing right

The rpm should tell the story, assuming you are running stock size tires. My 4.10 6.5's have run about 2,000 rpm at 60 like Don said, about 2,350 at 70, a bit over 2,500 at 75 mph.

If you want to have a bit of fun with numbers .........

4th gear in a 4L80 is .75:1 ratio. Stock 245/75-16 tires have a circumference of 95.8".

60 mph / 60 = 1 mile/min x 5,280 ft./mile x 12 in./ft. = 63,360 in./min
63,360 / 95.8 in. = 661.4 x 4.10 gears x .75 4th gear = 2,034 rpm

Not sure anyone really wanted to see that, but I think it's fun to see how the drive ratios work out.

Also, Dave's brain works at 187% the rate of mine. So it took him 1/3 the time to recognize the application, do the math, and type it than it did for me to just read it. Now I have to go back and do the math to learn it...
;)

Really I just keep seeing all these low rpm numbers and remember my pickups had them nice and low too. And I think to myself, how nervous would these guys be riding around in my Hummer at 3,000 rpm all day?

Will, took me a while the first time to get it right, first did it with my Suburban just to see if it all worked out like it should. The "what gears do I have" question comes up a lot, and since most all these trucks had the same tranny, you can look at wheel size, and you have a speedo and tach, it's a good way to prove out the gears if you aren't sure.

I've always thought I'd enjoy a 3.73 or even taller gear truck for the quiet cruising at lower rpm, but all my trucks have been 4.10 and so I put the bigger tires on to get highway rpm down a bit. I don't think I'd like that 3,000 rpm you are running for very long!

Yes it does.
I have had similar happen, By pulling on the tube and bending it back to originl position, it might be okay.
Unless it cracked.

Back