• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My new truck

Everything is back together. Turns out the manifold is enough different I couldn't use the setup on my milling machine.
Next up change out a hub assembly and turn a rotor.
Might wait til tomorrow I have a pinewood Derby car to work on tonight.

Pinewood Derby. Now that brings back memories of building cars with my two boys as they came up through Scouting, as well as building my own when I was a Cub Scout (but the kits were so much different, and better, back then) and giving my boys tips on techniques for building them.

Got the hub changed and the rotor turned. I was to turn it myself but in the middle of making the adapter I discovered I needed to buy some more tooling. So I went to my buddies shop and used his brake lathe.

Well I did manage to get it pressure washed. But that's about it. Spent the rest of the day working on a pinewood Derby car. I have to take my wife to the airport tonight (her grandpa died) and then the Derby is tomorrow. So maybe I can get started tomorrow afternoon.

So I got the oil cooler lines replaced it's an older style kit without all the fancy new fittings, It was a dirty PIA job. Should stay cleaner now though :).
Truck runs smoother with the new injectors but..... I'm going to have to replace the IP now. Evidently the IP can't handle the higher pop pressure when warm. Have to douse the IP with water to get it to start. Got another used one I'll try out for now but when I get some money coming in I guess I'll be talking to Leroy about a new one.

I ran my Suburban for something like 8 months with a failing IP that needed to have cold water poured on it for warm starts. I had 4 water bottles I kept refilling, pop the hood and pour and away I went. I actually considered using a window washer pump and bottle to be able to push a button and have water squirt on the IP. Ran perfectly otherwise and I had a lift pump so the IP didn't seem to be getting any worse. Finally just got tired of it and replaced the IP, but it kind of amazed me how it ran perfectly in every way except warm starting.

So I got a different pump installed and when I go to set TDCO it dies. This is with car code anyone have any ideas? I'm tempted to try my other PCM.
I've always felt that something hasn't been right as my TDCO has changed by itself several times. So if I change out this PCM I'll have to do security relearn, I'm assuming.

So got the PCM changed but still died when I tried to set TDCO. Turns out it was out of range. You know I've timed quite a few of these 6.5s but never had this issue before. Also seemed like it was super sensitive to any movement at all. I went all the way from +2.46- -2.56 in just what seemed like a couple of MMs. All done now and Leroy will be proud I finally put the pmd in the bumper. Never had one there before.:)

Soo... I went out this morning and started my truck (about 25*). It popped right off (best it's ever started) but still has white smoke and at least 1 cylinder that doesn't cut in for a few seconds. So I'm pretty much down to air at this point. No visible leaks so I'm thinking pre lift pump. the fuel line where it hooked to the IP was looser than I'd like so I might throw a clamp on there and see if it helps. Also time to break out the clear line on the IP return.

I'd think if you were sucking air pre lift pump you'd have problems while running, air constantly being introduced. You're absolutely sure no glow issue on that cylinder?

PMD in the bumper? You're supposed to mount it directly on the exhaust manifold where it can stay warm! :)

I'm actually not sure you could buy a K3500 dually with anything but the 4.10 gears.

Back