• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My LBZ Rebuild Has Started

ripmf666

Reaction score
Here's some pic's of what we have done going slow with other things getting done this weekend.
motorpics001.jpg

motorpics002.jpg

motorpics003.jpg

motorpics004.jpg

motorpics005.jpg

motorpics006.jpg

motorpics007.jpg

motorpics008.jpg

motorpics009.jpg

motorpics010.jpg

motorpics011.jpg

motorpics012.jpg

motorpics013.jpg

motorpics014.jpg

motorpics015.jpg

motorpics016.jpg

motorpics017.jpg

motorpics018.jpg

motorpics019.jpg

motorpics020.jpg

motorpics021.jpg

motorpics022.jpg

motorpics023.jpg

motorpics025.jpg

motorpics026.jpg

motorpics028.jpg

motorpics029.jpg

motorpics030.jpg

motorpics031.jpg

motorpics032.jpg

motorpics033.jpg

motorpics034.jpg

Wow... looks good! I always wondered what the piston cooling jets looked like.

Was the block damaged or something? Looks like everything has been freshly machined. And how did you snap pics while operating the torque angle meter???:D

Keep us posted on the progress!

Wow... looks good! I always wondered what the piston cooling jets looked like.

Was the block damaged or something? Looks like everything has been freshly machined. And how did you snap pics while operating the torque angle meter???:D

Keep us posted on the progress!

Block was fine just had to be finished honed and block cleaned.LOL didnt have time to take pics doing tq angle so that was a general pic with gauge set and friend just holding it there for the pic,Makes it nice for othere to see what they would see and do if they end up doing something like this later on.

Looks good, nice and clean. I had no idea that the DMax had cross bolted Main caps.

Found a mix up on part #97209622 there the main cap bolts but there for the older motors you must check the tops of your main cap bolts before getting new one from dealer,the older bolts are flat on th ehead the newer ones have a 0 in the head. I ordered mine from dealer and the gave me the #97209622, The LBZ is #98019464 there longer.

Well ran in to another snag other then the wrong main bolts, but they will be here in a few days other then that I can still go on with the build, Now we got to the #5 and #6 rods and do not have enough clearance rod cap to rod cap, So waiting to call machinist in the am for the fix.

Damn those motors are monsters, built like a brick shit house. Good Ole GM Engineering paired with the High Tech Isuzu pieces made the meanest diesel in existance.

Wow...these really are beefy. Is that one of those cranks that has been milled for a key instead of that POS pin?

Wow...these really are beefy. Is that one of those cranks that has been milled for a key instead of that POS pin?

IIRC that is -or- was a Cummins thing where the crank pin would shear off. Pretty sure they've rectified that design in the newer engines. Never heard of problems with that in the Dmaxes (but I could be 100% wrong).

So are you looking for bigger power numbers then from stock when you are all done? I know you said the block was fine, you were just getting it finished honed and block cleaned, but I'm not the smartest when it comes to an engine rebuild. Your not boreing it out are? It will still be a 6.6L?

BTW, pics look good and keep us updated too.

IIRC that is -or- was a Cummins thing where the crank pin would shear off. Pretty sure they've rectified that design in the newer engines. Never heard of problems with that in the Dmaxes (but I could be 100% wrong).

Unfortunately it was on the Duramaxes as well, at least the LB7 and LLY. Pretty sure it was Eric who found them shearing and developed the method to mill out the crank and put a hardened keystock in it. I hope he doesn't mind, but I delved into the archives...

The first pic is from someone's build, the latter are all from Eric's site.

IMG_4903Custom.jpg

goodpin.jpg

wornpin.jpg

shearedpin.jpg

campina.jpg

campinc.jpg

campind.jpg

In a thread Eric mentions he found the problem on 06s as well, so that includes the updated LLY and LBZ.:nonod:

So are you looking for bigger power numbers then from stock when you are all done? I know you said the block was fine, you were just getting it finished honed and block cleaned, but I'm not the smartest when it comes to an engine rebuild. Your not boreing it out are? It will still be a 6.6L?

BTW, pics look good and keep us updated too.

It will still be a 6.6.Before we were holding back some afraid of breaking it with adding more fuel, Now with the rods, and pistons cut down to 15.8 to 1,and adding 30% over injectors and dual cp3's, the gt4094 is going to be under sized to make the power it could make, So with the gt4094 should make in the 650 are with a gt4202 800 rwhp area.

Wow, lots of work and lots of cash! Thanks for sharing your progress with us guys who only want to see this on the web!!

Your truck is going to be REAL serious when your done. Will it still be PPE tuned and is your trans going to be up to the task? Is any head work necessary?

Good luck with your build man!!

Unfortunately it was on the Duramaxes as well, at least the LB7 and LLY. Pretty sure it was Eric who found them shearing and developed the method to mill out the crank and put a hardened keystock in it. I hope he doesn't mind, but I delved into the archives...

The first pic is from someone's build, the latter are all from Eric's site.

IMG_4903Custom.jpg

that picture is a 2001 LB7 that I tore down. 300k miles and stopped running due to the crank pin shearing (ecm gets a miscalc'd reference on the CKP signal)

that 300k mile block is in my truck now.

ben

Wow it looks like your rebuild is going great so far! Keep up the good work. Hope to see it runnin soon! :hurray:

Back