• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My firewall? Remove the foam insulation and recover with what? Dynamat?

aLpHaSuRf

Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Okay the foam insulation on my firewall has seen better days in my 95 Suburban 6.5. Looks ugly and old as hell and I'm wanting to remove it and if I do remove it for a cleaner look.. Do I have to put some type of insulation such as dynamat there. Is dynamat even going to withstand the heat? Has anyone else with a 6.5 done this before? Can I just remove it and leave it or does some type of insulation have to be there for a sound barrier or to block out heat?

Here are some pics of my engine bay I just took earlier tonight.

Okay well the pictures are above my text. So what I would like to do is clean up my engine bay and make it look cleaner. Any suggestions on where to start and what I can remove and clean polish that sort of stuff to make it look cleaner?

got the same exact problem, please someone help us..................or we can start a support group

Step 1: rip it out and throw in trash can. Test drive truck to see if you think step 2 is needed. Most people don't. It will make it a tad noisier, and warm up the cab noticeably if you do not have carpet.

Step 2: Pull the seats and carpet, put in hushmat, then put back your interior. Hushmat is the best. Otherwise the cheap out version is peel and seal roofing material from Home Depot or lowes.

Living in Vegas heat I never noticed a difference in my pickups when I ripped it off the firewall, and iirc WarWagon said same thing in Az.

If you feel you have to have the best in the world insulation and have the engine out already...Morgan Thermal Ceramics Inc. No one in he world makes a better insulation you can buy (until Obama scraps out the space shuttles for parts). They have roll pads that are for interior furnace linings. They insulate the insane stuff at Timet (where they make titanium). It's not insane pricing, but I won't be buying a lot of it for myself.

I used DEI Tunnel Shield on my firewall. It is quieter than the stock firewall mat. I had the engine out so it wasn't so bad to install, I can't imagine the fun it would be with the engine in :eek:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I think Bobbie Martin got the last GM NOS available for his recently dead 1995 repower project.

With the straight through glass pack muffler I have noise is not a concern. Yeah you hear the truck 2 blocks away...

With the insulation completely removed from both sides of the firewall it will warm up your feet on an extreme grade even with the AC bumped to the floor vents. If I recall I had also removed the insulation from in the cab due to a hydrobooster leak. This is in sub 50 degree weather. The worst area is where the down pipe comes close to the cab as it will turn the paint brown from extreme EGT's. (No insulation in that area to begin with.)

The in cab insulation is the easiest to find and replace.

If you are not pushing your 6.5 as hard as I do it's not needed. You have to weigh the fire danger from the old oil soaked insulation after blowing an engine up to none at all.

Mine has been gone so long the underhood firewall pics above look unusually clean to me...

Last edited:
Heep in mind anyone hating the exhaust drone, you can add the morgan thermal stuff directly to the pipe just like a turbo blanket does. it will trap heat and noise. I don't just because I take mine swimming often.
Sounds like interesting stuff, I'll have to look in to it further. Thanks for the info.

Ok all i finally got the garage clean and now have both my 95 burban 6.5 and 99 6.5 2hoe(2 door hoe...lol not a 4hoe!) in there. Its pretty tight in there between the two of em but at least they have a nice shelter from the elements of moma nature! I will be starting a new thread for all you pro's to help me with..

When I did the re-assembly on my heater core replacement project. I lined the interior with RAAMat BXTII. See Post 58 .

Currently doing the firewall with the same material.
When I was researching firewall insulation I called RAAM Audio about their products. They told me their RAAMat wasn't rated for use outside of the interior. That being said, I think their products are really good and I bet it will hold up fine. I can't wait to start using some of it in the interior of the truck.

I've had the hood lined with RAAMat for years without any issues from the heat of the motor or effects from weather induction through the vents (rain, snow, wind etc.). I'll have to run up there with the truck once it's done to show them what a great product they got.DSC00758.JPG IMG_1129s.JPG

I've had the hood lined with RAAMat for years without any issues from the heat of the motor or effects from weather induction through the vents (rain, snow, wind etc.). I'll have to run up there with the truck once it's done to show them what a great product they got.View attachment 47296 View attachment 47298
Nice!! Thanks for the info!

Heep in mind anyone hating the exhaust drone, you can add the morgan thermal stuff directly to the pipe just like a turbo blanket does. it will trap heat and noise. I don't just because I take mine swimming often.

Good to know. Looks like I have now a mini project in the works :D

Back