• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My 98 build up

NVW

Reaction score
I bought the truck three years ago from a member of the Place as a non running truck. He had put on new heads from a good friend of Jim's:rolleyes5:, called Teds something or other in Calgary. There was a coolant in oil issue IIRC.

I hauled the truck home and got it running, oil pressure was 40 psi at idle until it warmed up with a slight knock, after it got warm the knock increased and oil pressure fell.

A comp. test showed 7 cylinders at about 360-400 psi, # 3 was about 225 psi.

Earlier in the week I pulled the engine.

Attachments

• SA400290.jpg
    SA400290.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 201104261551.jpg
    201104261551.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 14
  • 201104261548.jpg
    201104261548.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 201104261550.jpg
    201104261550.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 15
  • SA400286.jpg
    SA400286.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 15
The truck had a grey smoke while running in videos from the previous owner, I had hoped for a valve train issue or a bad piston ring.

Even with a missing starter sol bolt it turned over good.

Attachments

• SA400323.jpg
    SA400323.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 23
  • SA400328.jpg
    SA400328.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 26
  • SA400324.jpg
    SA400324.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 30
  • SA400295.jpg
    SA400295.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 23
  • SA400326.jpg
    SA400326.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 24
Then Kenny dropped by:rolleyes5::D

The # 3 rod journal has seen better days and 6 & 8 cylinders won't quite clean up with a hone.

Attachments

• SA400329.jpg
    SA400329.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 31
  • SA400332.jpg
    SA400332.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 32
  • SA400331.jpg
    SA400331.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 31
  • SA400327.jpg
    SA400327.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 27
must have run it quite awhile to get that rod journal that bad

My thoughts too, I just went over the previous owners threads at the Place. It must have been knocking like crazy. Oh well, I bought it as a non running truck.

I should have had you pull your engine and had it delivered instead of working on this thing.:D Then you could have helped me pull wrenches too.:)

A few more pics.

One of two push rods that were worn, probably due to collapsed lifters during low oil pressure. A retaining clip on a lifter that's not where it belongs, and no honing marks on the cylinders.

One thing I noticed is none of the push rods had a brass or bronze end.

Attachments

• SA400312.jpg
    SA400312.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 17
  • SA400310.jpg
    SA400310.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 17
  • SA400320.jpg
    SA400320.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 20
Then Kenny dropped by:rolleyes5::D

The # 3 rod journal has seen better days and 6 & 8 cylinders won't quite clean up with a hone.
Oh oh,its now blame it on Kenny is it?,is he now a substitute for Ol'murphy :hihi:

Looks like my 98 when i bought it non running.cracked block too,but a good crank;)

Oh oh,its now blame it on Kenny is it?,is he now a substitute for Ol'murphy :hihi:

Looks like my 98 when i bought it non running.cracked block too,but a good crank;)

Well, the women have "Aunty Kathy" why can't we have "Kenny"?:hihi:

A few more pics.

One of two push rods that were worn, probably due to collapsed lifters during low oil pressure. A retaining clip on a lifter that's not where it belongs, and no honing marks on the cylinders.

One thing I noticed is none of the push rods had a brass or bronze end.

I've had several like that. I use twist ties to mark the top ends now as I disassemble.
According to the GM manual you can bore just one cylinder. The oversize pistons are suppose to weigh the same as stock. [I don't know that I would do that]
I'd be hunting for another engine.

I've had several like that. I use twist ties to mark the top ends now as I disassemble.
According to the GM manual you can bore just one cylinder. The oversize pistons are suppose to weigh the same as stock. [I don't know that I would do that]
I'd be hunting for another engine.

This block is scrap, no boring can fix it.

I agree on not boring just one cyl.

I don't think I've ever seen a journal gone that bad before!

That block looks darn near split in two!

These 6.5's have got to be some of the worst castings I've ever seen. I mean, I've seen cracked blocks and such before, but never as many or to the extent as these old GM's.

That the engine even ran at all is testament to the basic solidity in the concept of the design, and at the same time evidence of that concept being ruined be a "cheap/poor" execution by GM corporate bean counters.

Just further reinforces the fact that I'm just going to "bite the bullet" and spend the 7-10,000 for a brand new optimizer or P400 when the time comes......

;)

So whats your next move Leo......Maybe a "Teds Trucks" engine?

Not sure Louis, I don't think they ship to Canada. If they did UPS would rape me.

I still have the 97 parts truck, I'll pull the engine in it and have a look. It won't happen anytime soon though I don't think. I was hoping to get in and out of it fairly quickly.

my experience with any used engine is dismal at best.
If i where you i would have a look see if that 97 mill is any good and if not, pick up a China block from that outfit in Red deer and build a fresh engine.
You might be able to plunk it together with parts from both engines you have on hand.

my experience with any used engine is dismal at best.
If i where you i would have a look see if that 97 mill is any good and if not, pick up a China block from that outfit in Red deer and build a fresh engine.
You might be able to plunk it together with parts from both engines you have on hand.

Yeah, I already decided to try my other engine first, I have enough junk around here already. Nothing saying a good running engine won't have web cracks or worse.:agreed:

I agree with Simon if yo're into a DIY project... you have lots of parts to work with.

If you want to save some work, with a warranty, then try...

Rebuilt:
http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com/...49111072817.cd
New:
http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com/65dieselengine.html

Ship it to Great Falls. shorter drive, less fuel and time

Of course, Ted's Trucks has been pretty good to people, too.
My problem is I wanted quick and easy, no go.:)

I looked on Teds website and it looks like he might be out.

Back