• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Muffler

mattthebrat

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Well...... I posted this same thing over at DP and not much, so hopefully I have better luck here.
Now that I have my military exhaust manifolds and the snow is melting off, I am getting itchy to do some work on the truck. After I get done with the manifolds, I am going to get a muffler put on it. Last summer I got a ticket for "no muffler" and I put in a glass pack to get by and I hated the way it sounded, so I am looking for something different. I am wondering if I should go with a gasser muffler since it is a N/A or go with an actual Diesel muffler. I have been considering a couple of options: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/44_super.html and
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/40_super.html
Give me some feed back on what you guys like and what you know works, any videos or soundclips would be great!

Well...as always, I'm gonna recommend the Corsa. Because you'll have 0 Drone inside the Cab, it'll Sound WICKED Outside, and they sell JUST the Mufflers now, so you can DIY your own System.

I'd try the Folwmaster 70 series!! I run them on the burban with the 408 sounded good and interior levels where almost nill. Don't know if they make a 4" ?? pretty sure they make a 3.5

The thing is I want to hear it inside, I like em loud. Lets put it this way, a glasspack was too quiet for me, if it doesn't drown out the radio off of a stop light, it's too quiet.

Allllriiiighty then. I think you'll LOVE the Spintech Pro Shootout then.

I had it on my Avalanche. Z06 Cam, Long Tubes, No Cats, 3" Exhaust with the Pro Shootout. Sounded like nothing no ones ever Heard before. They have a Unique Sound to them.

...and yes, it was LOUD.

then this is what you need

Flowmaster
Outlaw Series
Race Mufflers

The Outlaw Series mufflers are specifically designed for racing. the round case allows for installation in limited space applications. The design incorporates sound attenuation rings without the need for packing materials.

Suitable for some turbo diesel applications.
Note: These mufflers provide minimal sound reduction and are intended primary for situations where a muffler rule is in effect with no specific decibel requirements

And it comes in sizes from 3" right up to 5"

Allllriiiighty then. I think you'll LOVE the Spintech Pro Shootout then.

I had it on my Avalanche. Z06 Cam, Long Tubes, No Cats, 3" Exhaust with the Pro Shootout. Sounded like nothing no ones ever Heard before. They have a Unique Sound to them.

...and yes, it was LOUD.

How much is it, I really don't want to spend over $80 on a muffler.

@ summit

Flowmaster 15440

$89.95
Estimated Ship Date: Tomorrow

Brand: Flowmaster
Product Line: Flowmaster Outlaw Series Race Mufflers
Part Type: Mufflers
Part Number: FLO-15440
Case Shape: Round
Inlet Diameter (in): 4.000 in.
Inlet Quantity: Single
Inlet Location: Center
Outlet Diameter (in): 4.000 in.
Outlet Quantity: Single
Outlet Location: Center
Internal Construction: Sound attenuation rings
Muffler Material: Steel
Muffler Finish: Aluminized
Case Outside Diameter (in): 5.000 in.
Overall Length (in): 16.750 in.
Quantity: Sold individually.

Muffler, Outlaw, Steel, Aluminized, 4 in. Inlet Diameter, 4 in. Outlet Diameter, Each

You can get a dynomax 4" race muffler from summit for 89 dollars. I love the way dynomax mufflers sound on diesels. IMO, the make the best sounding powerstroke exhaust i have ever heard and that is saying something. I think that is the muffler that i will run with my turbo 6.2 when i get it done.

You got a ticket for no muffler, but want to get a loud one. Thats awesome. Is that going to be louder than a glasspak? Is the 6.2 N/A louder than a 6.5TD, because dont a lot of people go with no muffler?

You got a ticket for no muffler, but want to get a loud one. Thats awesome. Is that going to be louder than a glasspak? Is the 6.2 N/A louder than a 6.5TD, because dont a lot of people go with no muffler?

the ticket wasn't for loud exhaust, it was just for having no muffler, and that was before the glasspack. And, yes the N/As are alot louder than turbos, but still quieter than a gasser.

Take a look at hearthrob exhaust. My 4" on 2 of my 6.5s are a little on the loud side for me. should be real loud on a n/a. They make all their own muffelers in mn.

Take a look at hearthrob exhaust. My 4" on 2 of my 6.5s are a little on the loud side for me. should be real loud on a n/a. They make all their own muffelers in mn.

I have the same exhaust bk95td. I think it is too quiet. Especially compared to the straight pipe or my old 350 gas with with flowmasters. I would like something in between the volume of the straight pipe and the muffler. I have now. I agree that the turbo makes a major difference. Keeps it relatively quiet at lower RPMs.

Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers, I've heard people complain that they are too loud on gassers, sounds like they're up your alley at $50 from Jegs for 3.5" or $100 for 3.5" stainless.

I used to have a 305 chevy with stock manifolds and y-pipe, going into a 4" stack from a transport wired up under my '87 GMC, I literally got a headache just driving it around, and had to change it, although it sounded really good.

Your next ticket could be for modified exhaust that is too loud...... don't ask me how I know about this. Latest thing around here is ticketing turbo trucks with straight pipes and more is coming.

I don't think it is going to be a problem, the new muffler is going to be alot quieter than straight piped, and the last ticket was from a state trooper at midnight on the 4th of July, the local cops really don't give a shit.

Back