• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

more power than a good running power stroke?

qak

Reaction score
Lately ive been wondering about something, i know our 6.5s arent really power monsters but ive driven my brothers ps and it runs really good. Feels more powerful than mine just driving around. Today we loaded up the trucks with wood and we got after it on the interstate from 70-80 mph. limit is 75 so not much over. Anyway i pulled 1-1/2 truck lengths on him. I have an 8 foot bed and he has a 6.5 foot bed. But he has quad cab so i figure were about the same. So lets have it, do ours have as much as or more power than the power stroke?

A stock 1997 powerstroke has 235 at the flywheel, so 188 auto or 211 manual at the wheels. A 1996 has 20 less for an auto and 10 less for a manual.

They have a few ponies up on us but, we can compete with the older trucks.

I took out a 2011 powerastroke and I'll tell you it'll stomp on our trucks. The salesman dialed down the traction control as much as it's computer would allow and when I stepped on it you could feel the tires losing their grip. He said if he could shut the traction control off it would boil the tires. It honestly has one heck of a lot of power.

I took out a 2011 powerastroke and I'll tell you it'll stomp on our trucks. The salesman dialed down the traction control as much as it's computer would allow and when I stepped on it you could feel the tires losing their grip. He said if he could shut the traction control off it would boil the tires. It honestly has one heck of a lot of power.

You're comparing Apples to Oranges. I think the OP meant the 7.3, 6.9's, etc. Non Common Rail Injection.

My 1500 with custom tune, K47 intake & 4" exhaust and new injectors pop set at 2350 will outrun most any stock 90's PS.

Where my 6.5 looses the battle is how long I can hold the go pedal to the floor without overheating when pulling a load, no issue running mt :(

The 6.5's utilize there HP better than most other diesels of there generation. I know my 6.5 even mostly stock(exhaust, intake, and a #9 resistor) would flat out run circles around any other 95 diesel out there empty, and towing would beat em in a drag race up to 45 or so. Where it fell flat was holding speed in the upper MPH where the torque really shined through of the other trucks. And most any IDI diesel suffers from the overheating problem on long grades more so than other designs, it is just the nature of an IDI diesel and the extra heat that is contained inside of teh pre-cup VS a DI's diesel design of keeping the heat contained in the piston bowl. This is why the same radiator used for a 6.5 can keep a DMAX cool at 400+HP, yet the 6.5 can be overheated at stock power levels. the 6.5 always has been a snappy diesel per say, and they do run really good considering there basic engine design was from the 70's.

With some basic modifications you can best any of the trucks of our generation, I've even bested early 2000s in stock trim, problem with the 6.5 even if you make it a strong runner, it tops out performance wise just due to differences IDI vs DI, where the basic mods on "modern" EFI's trucks begin their performance building.

Well, I should be able to give a comparison soon. so far the psd is much stronger. Although it has only been a grocery getter so far.
I am still using my 6.5 for my workhorse. once the summer gets here the psd will be pulling the 5th wheel and we will see it work. it is a DI.

Remember that guy with the other, other diesel site? Remember how he built a 6.5 then tested it against a brand new(at the time) '99 Powerstroke and Cummins? That told me all I needed to know! Been a 6.5 guy ever since. I know he went pretty crazy with the engine work, but I think today the same results are possible with less effort. I've never seen a stock-to-stock comparison of a 6.5 vs 1st Gen PSD, but I'm kind of suprised it would be competitive. Not that I doubt what you guys are saying. I'm quite interested in the idea!

Ford IDI 7.3 build..

Full build is on PSN, but IIRC its a .030 over with shaved pistons and a .020 deck on the heads..

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108058

the tow rig project:

92 F350 CC DRW

DSC00266.jpg

What used to reside in it:
IMG_2774.jpg

How it currently sits tonight:
IMG_2833.jpg

Yes Ballistic sucks ass, but I like the skull, and had one laying around.

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

It would of been running and driving this weekend but sadly my Grandfather passed away last night. I am signing out on emergency leave thursday to go to the service then fly out for his burial. I should still have it done this month though!

Ok definitely not my best looking creation ever, but it truly is a work of art!

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3055.jpg

got my boost gauge rigged up in it, just to see whats happening. 21psi currently. Intended boost is 30-32psi. Right now it feels like its in the 350-375rwhp range, another 10psi plus my water/meth is going to be awesome!

Not that heath didnt already prove it, But it just go's to show that an IDI can make power...

Love the sound of that but I'd get pretty tired if it in no time. I put a PJ gear drive on a sbc motor and it sounded really cool for a day or 2. Then it was just annoying...

Really like the sound of it as well, but I could see how after the first couple weeks, it could get to you. Plus having to say "What?" whenever someone in the truck with you says something. Nonetheless, it's got a pretty mean sound to it. Actually makes my truck sound quiet. :hihi:

Yep not so sure I could handle the noise either, but its nice to see somebody else building an IDI..

Truck sounds just like the 6.0 PS that the guy who runs our land used to have. He had like a 6" exhaust on it, sounded like a freaking jet.

i'd be more than happy to deal with the noise. I love the sound of an IDI with a turbo, hell i own two. The whistle is addicting. :D

Too bad GM skimped on the block/crank on the 6.2. I'd love to get mine to put out 350-400 hp, but the bottom end wouldn't make it to 250.

Back