• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Missy goes full retro

The big issue with the larger tires especially is the amount of "sidewall" flex.

This creates large amounts of heat in the casing which breaks down the rubber/fabric bond as well as fatigues the fabric/belts

The larger tires on a 15" wheel are more sensitive to this than say a low profile 18-20 inch tire like those that have become popular in the last few years.

A 35" tall tire on a 15 inch wheel has a large sidewall section which if underinflated can flex a bunch.

I have never practiced dropping the air pressure while in the boonies. Its far too easy to knock one off the wheel once the pressure is down low.

I normally run about 40 PSI in the 35/12.50 X 15 (light loaded Blazer or Burb)

Heavier loads could see the pressure on up to 45 PSI

These tires are a load range C which is not a heavy service tire. For the DaHooooley I always run Load range E.

On occasion I drop 2 tons on DaHoooleys back and boogie off down the boulevard, so the heavier range tires can take that with no sweat.

So many of the "Off Road" tires are designed to get large amounts of ground clearance (Large diameter) and very agressive tread for getting though the goooop but, the contruction of the tire is not designed for carrying heavy loads.

Now this said, there are many tires available that can do both jobs.

For a light truck like the 1500 Burb or the K Blazer the C rated tire is quite adequate for the job. 1500 Burb 4x4 weighs about #5800 where the DaHoooley wieghs in at a hefty #7000

Ride characteristics (Creature comfort) is also a major consideration too.

Heavy tires that are rated in the E load range are much stiffer and can take away from the ride quality, and quite noticeably on a light vehicle.

Another point with the "traction type" large tires is that the extra flex will allow the tire to work better in the rough stuff as it can grab an uneven surface better.

Just some thoughts.

Missy

Good day today.

Got a few more $$$$ in my truck fund, so tomorrow I will head over to Costco and order the 4 new 35/12.50's for the Burb.

BFG's Mud terrain T/A KM2 Good looking set of diggers.

I just hope they don't HOWL like all get out.

WE Shall see.

If anyone has had some experience with these tires please chime in here.

Missy

That is comforting to know.

I have had many different sorts of traction tires over the years from the Old Firestone Super Alltrac, Ground Hawgs, Boggers,Swampers and such.

When I spent a lot of winter weekends in the Snow with the Snowmobiles the Ground Hawgs were great in deep snow as were the Old firestones.

All these severe duty diggers were horrible on the pavement though when it came to noise.

Just looking for a good all around tire for my "LAST HOOOORAHHH"

Getting to an age now that I really don't need all this stuff.
Heck I could "Get By" for most of what I drive and go with a "Smart Car" YUK.

Just want to outfit my little Burb up with all the goodies I remember from Childhood. :smile5:

Big tire, a lift kit, a winch, a rack of lights up on top to anoy those who really deserve it :D

Not that I even need it anymore, but, because I can is as good an excuse as I can come up with right off.

Missy is not ready to hang up the chain drive wallet and the double clutching boots just quite yet. :thumbsup:

Missy

Etended family Hmmmmm now there is a thought.

OK Now for the latest GOOD NEWS.

Was already to head out to Costco to buy a set of 35/12.50 Goodrich diggers.

Decided to cruise craigs list one last time to see if anything shook out of the trees.

BINGO

Just ready to step out of craigs and stumbled across a simple ad "Toyo M/T's"
and a phone number.

Called the dude up and asked some ?????

(4) 35/13.50/15 Open country M/T 's on 15X10 alloy wheels 6 bolt chevy pattern

Tires had been used only to roll a modified "Jeep" Project with chevy axles around the barn.

Never run on the road. :thumbsup:

Like new with some spiders and dirt for free. ):h

The fellow did not like the shiny wheels so he painted them black. :confused:

Tires are for all purposes NEW.

The best part, all 4 for $650 and they were only 15 miles away.

Missy sits happily with her new tires.

Here is a pix.

Called the local Toyo dealer on the way back from getting the tires.

These critters sell for about $1600 the tires and wheels.

Oh yesssssssss

MGW

Attachments

• toyo 13.50's.jpg
    toyo 13.50's.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1
The local 4x4 shop by me who build alot of stuff said he didn't hear good things about the new generation of BF MT's so you maybe better off. I have not personally had any experience with the new gen.

My brother runs those on his Cummins, I used to pull him out of the mud several times each spring before he got those. I don't anymore, well, not with a truck anyway.:D

I do hope these Toyos work well.

The right ups and reviews all sound great.

There are always some clowns that have no luck with any tires.

For what I am needing these will probably workl sweeeeeeet.

For the Little $$$ invested I dont think the deal was beatable.

Missy

John

I just managed to score the find on the ad about 10 minutes after he posted it.

He described the tires/wheels and I told him I would take them and was on my way.
Took off like a mad bull was on my A$$ .

Just plain lucky.

Got the new "Rubas" out of the Burb and washed them all up good with soap and water.

Aired them up to 40 PSI and parked then in the shop to dry off.

I got to find some good jelly type paint remover to get the black paint off them shiny wheels.

Can't believe anyone would paint a set of Pollished alloy wheels ?????????

Once that black paint of off I can probably run over them with a pollishing ball on the drill motor and get the finish back up nice again.

Oh well, for the price, I can take the little time required to shine them suckers back up.

Missy

Oh yess Craigs is the BEST place around.

Just gotta be careful though as there are scammers out there trying to screw folks if they can.

Big tip off is when you post something for sale and you get an email "I will Like to buy"

Wording like that is an automatic tip off, SCAMMMMMMMMMMER.

Or worse yet, my shipping company will stop by and pay you with a check tomorrow.

Holly crap Frank. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Thanks

Bought and sold lots of stuff on Craigs.

Beats the news paper all to pieces. Freeeeeeeee too.

Missy

Nothing much new at the present.

Getting cold now so any outside work thats not absolutely necessary is not gonna happen.

25F last night and the weather man says teens this weekend with possible SNOW

ARRRRRRRRRRRRG, getting to a point in life that I dont care for the white stuff all that much.

Pretty to watch but it makes life around here a mess.

Missy contemplates going down and turning in the hubs (Warn no less) on the Burb.

Gawd I love the idea of not having to worry about "IF THE 4X4 is gonna engage"

Sits by the fire with a cup of coffee

Missy

I just fired the second pellet stove up.

This one burns ground up hazel nut shells.

$50 for a dump truck load.

Heat the house all winter too on that much.

The stuff is a tad more of a hastle than pellets in that I have to screen it to make sure there are no big sticks and such that will foul the stove workings.

Heats great.

Pellets are too spendy to run a bag and a half a day in the cold.

The shells are just plain cheap.

Missy

Back