• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Merry Xmas Me!

I put mine in on the weekend. H- cow it works good. You will feel scared something is wrong as the engine just fires after a .5 second howl/screech of the starter.

Inspiration^^^^^^right there. How hard was the install.

Well his was harder than yours will be because he had to remove a direct drive starter that weighs more than twice as much, and is so long it almost hits the engine mount!

Literally the #2 injury causing job for hmmwv mechanics. And if anyone whines about the price of a Powermaster, search Prestolite starter for hummer/hmmwv:greedy:

@Sand Just making sure you did install the small support bracket opposite end of 2 mounting bolts...

Good healing, my friend. You get that fish in Baja? Looks like one that cut and ran on me. Been doing Baja since '70something.

Wheelchairs can be fun, by the way. Crutches suck. They helped with my lower back, though.

East Cape blue marlin, my trailer boat. Did about 12 trips trailering down in my younger days. Pretty much always good fishing.

Mine was a bit odd. My tag on the stud out the back tore off leaving me wondering which one was the neg terminal. The instructions said ground to the block but I still had this orpaned tag suggesting it should go to the starter...I was just being over cautious. Its a 500 Dollar CAD starter and I didnt want to short it out or strain it by grounding through something as conductive as a windsheild wiper...
Answer is easy - back stud to brace - to block. Ground on the nut of the stud or the bolt of the brace. They are the same.
Like everyone says trim the positive stud a quarter or 3/8 ". Its way too long. Don't overtighten the tiny solenoid stud.
My battery cables were massive but upgrade yours if they are not heavy enough. I picked up some ARP starter bolts as mine were too long (prestolite Hummer starter) and the knurling that centers it was a bit worn down.
An easy swap if you already had a pickup starter and not the prestolite.
Will - I built the rear brace out of angle iron. That point was not missed.
It used to go rararararaaraaraaaaGrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Now it says Yelp! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Glowplugs seem optional at 0 deg celcius.

Ok, seeing how this thread has gone off the tracks . . .

Hey Big T. Am sensing a life lesson here: It is far less painful and much more satisfying to express one's displeasure with a single finger salute, as opposed to a series of swift kicks to . . . :D

Was bored, so I took on the starter replacement job. Got the old one out. What a bitch. Had to take the bracket off the back of the starter to get clearance. That will be a bitch on the install.

Attachments

• 040132C9-1DE8-4D40-A72B-A07D8EE1CAA5.jpeg
    040132C9-1DE8-4D40-A72B-A07D8EE1CAA5.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 14
Yeah, now you get why people leave it off- haha. Then when they need a new engine they wish they hadn’t.

Examine the 2 big mounting bolts closely. If there is any stretching on he threads or the knurled area is worn down, repalce them. The $10 is not worth future issues.

Now, does the boss Lady know what you are doing? No breaking Dr. rules here pal!

Yeah, now you get why people leave it off- haha. Then when they need a new engine they wish they hadn’t.

Examine the 2 big mounting bolts closely. If there is any stretching on he threads or the knurled area is worn down, repalce them. The $10 is not worth future issues.

Now, does the boss Lady know what you are doing? No breaking Dr. rules here pal!

How do I tell if the bolts are stretched?

I had my wife handing me tools so I didn’t have to slide in and out from the truck.

Attachments

• EE85D405-6962-4543-ADCA-CFB1AE08B4A4.jpeg
    EE85D405-6962-4543-ADCA-CFB1AE08B4A4.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 18
Those look okay, what is the shiny looking fleck in the threads of the bolt on the right side ?
threads dont look stretched and distorted.

Yeah, bolts looked good. Stolen google pics below for way bad examples of stretched. Just put against a straight edge. Bolts don’t usually stretch this bad, these examples make it obvious what to look for. Also make sure the knurled area (checker board stamped area) is slightly raised above shaft height. Yours looked good there too. Kinda info for next time or next reader.

AEA844CC-F0CC-460C-B609-FE1DAC878C8C.png

Can't here buzzing in video you mention but yes that old starter was dragging hard core.

How long did the bracket take to install for first timer?

Yeah, bolts looked good. Stolen google pics below for way bad examples of stretched. Just put against a straight edge. Bolts don’t usually stretch this bad, these examples make it obvious what to look for. Also make sure the knurled area (checker board stamped area) is slightly raised above shaft height. Yours looked good there too. Kinda info for next time or next reader.

View attachment 51355

Can't here buzzing in video you mention but yes that old starter was dragging hard core.

How long did the bracket take to install for first timer?

Bracket was a bitch. Like an hour. Ran out of daylight, so will the fender well tomorrow.

I can hear the buzz. I’ll get another recording from the fender well tomorrow.

An hour doesn’t surprise me. Don’t worry, next time will be like nothing- cuz you just have to say “Son, I did mine- you do yours!” Haha. They still suck to me too, even though I have done one or two before.

And uh yeah... that passanger side inner fender well trim. Not all those got put back in our fleet. I swear every day I wasn’t there the guys threw another one or two away.

Nice. I put new bolts on to be sure. My knurling was a bit smoothed down. Mine makes an almighty screech if i keep it engaged a part second after the truck starts. Like an old friend used to say "ahh, that just means its working".
Ive done clean starts at 4 deg below freezing after sitting all night not plugged in. Its a winner.

Nice. I put new bolts on to be sure. My knurling was a bit smoothed down. Mine makes an almighty screech if i keep it engaged a part second after the truck starts. Like an old friend used to say "ahh, that just means its working".
Ive done clean starts at 4 deg below freezing after sitting all night not plugged in. Its a winner.

Yes I was getting that screech. Today after a couple starts, it's gone away. Everything back in place. Truck is mo betta. Thanks all for the suggestion to get a Powermaster and help on install. I donated the old core to my neighborhood NAPA.

Back