• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mechanical pump Dmax!

scottm

Reaction score
I saw this today for the first time, and I love the way it looks and sounds. But I don't get it.. Did they make it IDI? Or does it's mechanical pump produce enough pressure for direct injection? If so then what is the point of IDI? I know people have talked about making a DI 6.5, but I don't know if anyone has done it.

Looks like they totally threw out the Common-Rail system and rigged up mechanical injectors. It's Direct-Injection, but it's like a Cummins or old Cat, where it's not a high pressure common rail with electronic timing.

It's still DI(direct injection). The 6.5L is IDI or indirect injection where the fuel is injected into a precup before it goes into the combustion chamber, DI is directly injected into the combustion chamber. They just used an old school mechanical pump capable of probably 20-22K PSI(which is less than a common rail injection system can do). It was more or less a novelty setup as that pump I doubt can supply what a stock injection system can do. Fuel amounts of around 200-220MM3 of fuel per injection event are easily obtainable with stock injection system, and I bet thats more than what that pump can probably do. There are a few people with mechanical injection systems on the DURAMAX pushing SERIOUS fuel, but they have common rail injectors now of 400% oversize and larger now that can push enough fuel to hydrolock an engine if you aren't careful with the tuning. 4 CP3's with a set of 400% oversized LBZ injectors can push some SERIOUS fuel.

It's still DI(direct injection). The 6.5L is IDI or indirect injection where the fuel is injected into a precup before it goes into the combustion chamber, DI is directly injected into the combustion chamber. They just used an old school mechanical pump capable of probably 20-22K PSI(which is less than a common rail injection system can do). It was more or less a novelty setup as that pump I doubt can supply what a stock injection system can do. Fuel amounts of around 200-220MM3 of fuel per injection event are easily obtainable with stock injection system, and I bet thats more than what that pump can probably do. There are a few people with mechanical injection systems on the DURAMAX pushing SERIOUS fuel, but they have common rail injectors now of 400% oversize and larger now that can push enough fuel to hydrolock an engine if you aren't careful with the tuning. 4 CP3's with a set of 400% oversized LBZ injectors can push some SERIOUS fuel.
Good god, drain the OEM fuel tank in a run down the sled track! lol

The ability to is there. Then again, it takes some SERIOUS fuel to make 2,000+ HP at the wheels.

Back