• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mechanical pump Dmax!

scottm

Reaction score
I saw this today for the first time, and I love the way it looks and sounds. But I don't get it.. Did they make it IDI? Or does it's mechanical pump produce enough pressure for direct injection? If so then what is the point of IDI? I know people have talked about making a DI 6.5, but I don't know if anyone has done it.

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
Looks like they totally threw out the Common-Rail system and rigged up mechanical injectors. It's Direct-Injection, but it's like a Cummins or old Cat, where it's not a high pressure common rail with electronic timing.

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
It's still DI(direct injection). The 6.5L is IDI or indirect injection where the fuel is injected into a precup before it goes into the combustion chamber, DI is directly injected into the combustion chamber. They just used an old school mechanical pump capable of probably 20-22K PSI(which is less than a common rail injection system can do). It was more or less a novelty setup as that pump I doubt can supply what a stock injection system can do. Fuel amounts of around 200-220MM3 of fuel per injection event are easily obtainable with stock injection system, and I bet thats more than what that pump can probably do. There are a few people with mechanical injection systems on the DURAMAX pushing SERIOUS fuel, but they have common rail injectors now of 400% oversize and larger now that can push enough fuel to hydrolock an engine if you aren't careful with the tuning. 4 CP3's with a set of 400% oversized LBZ injectors can push some SERIOUS fuel.

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
It's still DI(direct injection). The 6.5L is IDI or indirect injection where the fuel is injected into a precup before it goes into the combustion chamber, DI is directly injected into the combustion chamber. They just used an old school mechanical pump capable of probably 20-22K PSI(which is less than a common rail injection system can do). It was more or less a novelty setup as that pump I doubt can supply what a stock injection system can do. Fuel amounts of around 200-220MM3 of fuel per injection event are easily obtainable with stock injection system, and I bet thats more than what that pump can probably do. There are a few people with mechanical injection systems on the DURAMAX pushing SERIOUS fuel, but they have common rail injectors now of 400% oversize and larger now that can push enough fuel to hydrolock an engine if you aren't careful with the tuning. 4 CP3's with a set of 400% oversized LBZ injectors can push some SERIOUS fuel.
Good god, drain the OEM fuel tank in a run down the sled track! lol

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
The ability to is there. Then again, it takes some SERIOUS fuel to make 2,000+ HP at the wheels.