• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Making a tube header for the turbo side

You got to split your R&D cost out for the three that would be ordered... Not all in the 1st part.

And then I just need a distribution network....you know, someone deeply involved and knowledgable in 6.5s, with a good reputation and nice website. Maybe even located toward the middle of the country, like in Texas? Gosh, if only such a person existed.....:D

Its okay, I think I can put $2k to better use lol. I wanna do center mount one day. Thats gonna be tricky.

Its okay, I think I can put $2k to better use lol. I wanna do center mount one day. Thats gonna be tricky.
Yeah I want to do center mount too. In some ways I think it could be easier, especially in regards to manifolds and up pipes, but then the intake plumbing gets trickier. And then packaging it all under a reasonable hood. I think it's all doable and a fun project to be sure, but I need to get some other stuff done first.

The hummer n/a intake is just the truck lower intake without the ffm mounting tabs. I tried to figure using the gm6 center mount and the lower intake to no avail. Maybe there's room in the pickups. Fingers crossed.

Center mount is possible on the gmt400. The turbonators have done it.
I saw their install and it was sweet, however they cut out the firewall to do it and for my truck I'm not interested in going that route. Those guys are an inspiration to be sure.

Every time I look at the engine valley and the hump in the firewall it looks to me like a place a turbo would fit nicely (with the proper heat shielding around it). To make it right though I think it will take a custom intake. I'd like to fit it all under the stock hood, but a normal cowl induction hood wouldn't be bad either (just more money). Probably a year or 2 until I could act on any of this anyway, so I nee to just concentrate on getting this sidewinder setup working first.

I am going to be running a setup fairly close to Leroydiesels, which in my mind flows 95% as good as centermount and 1000% better than stock. I got the parts. Just needing the time. I got lots of data to compare before and after too when I do it. I have logged a lot of data in spread sheets

I am going to be running a setup fairly close to Leroydiesels, which in my mind flows 95% as good as centermount and 1000% better than stock. I got the parts. Just needing the time. I got lots of data to compare before and after too when I do it. I have logged a lot of data in spread sheets
You do a great job documenting your work, so it will be great to see when you do that. I can't wait to see your results!

Nice indeed, I suspect your final results will be awesome.

Quick thought, I soak header wrap after install w/high temp silicone and semi-cure it with a torch so when it is put into service it offers lots of protection from corrosion to headers.

Last edited:

Quick thought, I soak header wrap after install w/high temp silicone and semi-cure it with a torch so when it is put into service it offers lots of protection from corrosion to headers.
I used the high temp silicone spray on mine, but hadn't thought about the semi-curing idea. Interesting idea.

I used the high temp silicone spray on mine, but hadn't thought about the semi-curing idea. Interesting idea.
Man I wish I lived near you because I would jump in and help you turn out some much needed enhancements of the 6.5 even knowing the market is slim.

Use the header wrap paint designed just for this purpose.

I saw their install and it was sweet, however they cut out the firewall to do it and for my truck I'm not interested in going that route. Those guys are an inspiration to be sure.

Every time I look at the engine valley and the hump in the firewall it looks to me like a place a turbo would fit nicely (with the proper heat shielding around it). To make it right though I think it will take a custom intake. I'd like to fit it all under the stock hood, but a normal cowl induction hood wouldn't be bad either (just more money). Probably a year or 2 until I could act on any of this anyway, so I nee to just concentrate on getting this sidewinder setup working first.
As you know I've been out of pocket so my late response I like the idea of a functional cowl induction hood with a massive panel filter box or big block type cowl air filter housing on the 6.5td.

Does anybody know if the 80s trucks have more room near the firewall for a center mount setup?
Btw nice job on the fab work!

Back