• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Major LBZ Issues

funny you should ask i just picked my truck up today, from getting them fixed with the updated lines. Hopefully these wont leak but i already know a couple people that have the updated ones that leak:doh:

they do have some problems with the pistons but you would need a **** load of power to crack them idahorob is running twins with stock internals. I havent heard of one story of a stock truck cracking pistons i know gasout cracked one on his kodiak which has been through alot of stress running the ppe hot+2et with alot of other mods.

I Know Gasuout... He runs that truck like he is running the BAJA 1000 all the time. He was pushing his EGT's to 2k all day at the dunes and finally blew the motor and had to be towed home. :doh:

To add to that, I'm pretty sure he's got an LLY not an LBZ

I Know Gasuout... He runs that truck like he is running the BAJA 1000 all the time. He was pushing his EGT's to 2k all day at the dunes and finally blew the motor and had to be towed home. :doh:

To add to that, I'm pretty sure he's got an LLY not an LBZ

you are right he is running an lly :doh: lol this is what he has going on for his truck. i quoted this from him. looks like he is going to have a real nice setup!!!

I have 2 different motors going together .

One with a short block from Tony Burkhart that I will put together myself and get into truck as soon as it gets here and I can get heads back on it .

And a short block with PPE that will be going to machine shop in the near future as soon as motor lb7 gets here from Kansas for me to tear down , and then some serious hard parts . Will be a while for this one to get done.

I plan on putting PPE GT40-94 kit on truck and interested in trying one of these bigger VVT's to see what set-up delivers best drivability vs. lowest egt's .

:flame: motor breaker here :pound:

Hello Boys ,

Finally thought id come around and check this site out . Had already registered , but not come and looked around . Duramaxxx told me there was some good talk over here and I had been mentioned . So I thought Id come and play .

Yes Im LLY and yes I broke the truck out at the dunes . Cracked #1 piston and gouged the bore . You guys have already seen my post on what Ive got going on for motors .

I push over 500+ to the wheels and hold the egt's for longer than most .

Not really sure why it cracked the piston , I wasnt at 2k when it broke . I was on it hard but briefly . The real culprit in cracked pistons is said to be cylinder pressure . I have been torturing my motors for 3 yrs and had 45k on first motor doing this and pushed a head gasket last year at track on a EFI tune with reasonable egt's but timing coming in to quick . But really to much cylinder pressure once again . I had 15K on this motor and was bummed to have this failure . Funny thing is the cylinder that broke is the same cylinder that I set the injector harness on fire at Glamis dunes on New Years.

So Im thinking that I might have hurt it a bit getting it hot . Water temp was at 260++ and motor shut off as I crested hill and set harness on fire over #1 cylinder . Egt's , cylinder pressure , overheated it , really no way to tell exactly what caused it. Could have been just a flawed piston .

We all take this risk when we play hard and go for the big power . Im sure this wont be the last motor I take out of kodiak .Really it could have stuck #1 injector or even vaporised the fuel and got top of piston hot . Funny thing was , all the pistons looked great and even the cracked one .

As far as erosion around bowl of piston .... None . For what I do to it you would think they would have been melted . Last motor looked flawless also .

Still think it was just random piston crack and will be going back at it soon .

With even more power , keep an eye out for some new vids :eyebrows:

Johnny

Glad to have you Johnny. Good luck with the next build man!

The only problem I've had is the rattling in the steering wheel. The dealership says its not the shaft though. I haven't taken it back yet to let them look at it again.

Back