• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lucas Oil

KeystoneKid

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone on here has Used/Uses or knows someone who Used/Uses LUCAS oil in their LLY engines?,
I have been using Rotella 15W-40 but I'm tempted to try the LUCAS 15W-40 Magnum CJ-4 Full Synthetic oil.
I found a place that sells it in 5 Gal Pails for $109.00 which is a little cheaper then the Royal Purple in the 15W-40 weight.
For what its worth I did use the Rotella 5W-40 Full Synthetic once when I made a long trip and even though I gained about 2.4 MPG on the Interstate I wasn't to happy about the noise that was coming from under the hood which I assume was due to the Lighter grade of oil (5W vrs 15W), plus the fact that Synthetic's tend to have a little more slickness to them vrs the Dino based oils, but I'm thinking that a 15W-40 weight Full Synthetic oil may run better in the hot area I live in since its a heaver grade .

Haven't used synthetic in my LBZ but I was using about a quart in 3000 miles with Rotella and changed to Delvac 15w40 about 200k ago. Since then I only use a very small amount. I don't think you can go wrong with synthetic no matter which you choose.

I run rotella 5w40 in mine. It makes my engine run the quietest of any oil I've tried. And the 1st number is the cold viscosity. If you look at the breakdowns, at 100C, 5w40 and 15w40 have nearly identical viscosities of right around 39-42 from all the msds I've read. But when cold, the 5w40 has a big advantage that lets the engine wheel around quicker. That being said, once I use up all my 5w40 synthetic, I'll be going back to 15w40 dino oil as I'm starting to notice some oil leaks with the synthetic. I'm also considering trying the 10w30 rotella regular dino oil.

Haven't used synthetic in my LBZ but I was using about a quart in 3000 miles with Rotella and changed to Delvac 15w40 about 200k ago. Since then I only use a very small amount. I don't think you can go wrong with synthetic no matter which you choose.
I was also look over the Delvac 15W-40.
I like Mobil Oils and have used their Full Synthetic 5W-20 in the wife's 2005 Accord since it was new and its still running like a Top and uses no oil what so ever, I think I will try the Delvac this time and see how nit runs.

I run rotella 5w40 in mine. It makes my engine run the quietest of any oil I've tried. And the 1st number is the cold viscosity. If you look at the breakdowns, at 100C, 5w40 and 15w40 have nearly identical viscosities of right around 39-42 from all the msds I've read. But when cold, the 5w40 has a big advantage that lets the engine wheel around quicker. That being said, once I use up all my 5w40 synthetic, I'll be going back to 15w40 dino oil as I'm starting to notice some oil leaks with the synthetic. I'm also considering trying the 10w30 rotella regular dino oil.
I did notice that when I used the Rotella 5W-40 Full Synthetic the one time it did use more oil then the regular Dino oil which is why I went back to the regular 15W-40 oil, the only thing I was hoping to gain out of using the Full Synthetic 15W-40 was better protection when towing and maybe help keep the EGR valve cleaner, but I noticed that the Newer Rotella oils are now saying that using them will help keep the EGR from getting Plugged up with soot.

Total first impressions of thread Lucas is just a brand name not really better or worse than others of the same api classification - again IMO (in the same class of oil synthetic vs dino oil and relatively same price point). My personal preference is amsoil as it was an earlier players in synthetics but I like others compete and competition drives performance and economy.

My thought is if you want more soot dispersal properties I say run a quart of 2 of the older amsoil oil with higher TBN? rating. Newer oil is rated for cleaner burning engines but it lubes the same initially. If you follow a normal maintenance recommendation or do oil analysis you should be fine. Worse thing you can do is run oil hotter and/or longer than recommendations. Otherwise it works pretty good.

The soot treatment in the new oils are for emissions purposes. Right now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon for it. I put no stock in it because it doesn't say it wont keep soot from being in your oil, it is not keeping the soot in suspension in the oil. So that means to me it is leaving the soot on the metal components in the engine. Better for the environment does not mean better for your engine. Think crappy fuels compared to what we used to have- better for environment and worse for engine, power, and mpg.

Worried about soot and all the other crap ruining your oil- you need to figure out the same thing on my mind half the time. Put on a centrifuge, and figure out how we are going to get up to 90psi on the 1/4" inlet. That will remove 100% of the soot.

Have since 4/10/2004 LLY Duramax been running AMSOIL AME 15/40 128200 miles on truck uses no oil . Use AMSOIL injecter clean & cetane boost every fill up, 4oz. each truck runs like new.

Back