• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Low Temp

Well things have gotten alittle hecktick around here, and I finally gotten around to pulling the thermostat back out of my truck. It doesn't have a spring on the bottom, all it has is a brass button like ak had said. So I'm guessing I have the wrong stat in it? I ordered one for a 94, but they also sent me the wrong radiator the first time. They sent me one that had no tranny cooler :mad2: So I guess I'll order me a new t-stat, and see if it changes anthing.

Well, I kinda already threw it away :eek: But it wasn't working just right I don't think. It was from autozone ( PO told me that's where he bought ALL his parts from) so I went with an acdelco one.

Sounds like they you sent you a 97+ stat which would explain why it was bypassing coolant as it is a smaller diameter than the 94 uses. Best place to buy a T-stat for the early single stat trucks is the dealer as teh aftermarket ones have the wrong spring tension for teh bypass and has resulted in overheating. I believe HEATH sells the correct T-stat for them as well.

Sounds like they you sent you a 97+ stat which would explain why it was bypassing coolant as it is a smaller diameter than the 94 uses. Best place to buy a T-stat for the early single stat trucks is the dealer as teh aftermarket ones have the wrong spring tension for teh bypass and has resulted in overheating. I believe HEATH sells the correct T-stat for them as well.

Sounds reasonable since the 97+ is a dual stat. Good info on incorrect spring tension.

Sorry guys, no update as of yet. Me and my wife are having our first baby this Wednesday, so time is spent doing other things for now. I will order a new t-stat for it, and put it in asap, and see if it changes anything. I'm hoping that's all the problem is with this thing.

Thanks Dave, I've called all the dealers around. The closest one to us is in Dallas. They said it would take 2 days to get here, not much longer and I can order one from rockauto. And the Stealer wants $67 for one, and rockauto was $23

Sorry guys, no update as of yet. Me and my wife are having our first baby this Wednesday, . . .

With the time sensitivity, might end up ahead by just paying the dealer price rather than the cycle of a 'close-but-not-quite-right' parts. This was what I had to do for my calipers as I got tired of losing two days to go to Auto store 1 which sold me a 'good' caliper, mechanic called to say no-go, return to Auto store 1 for a return, go to 'Auto' store 2 and so on . . . Gave up after the second cycle and called Mama GM.

At this point, probably best just to call one of the parts departments to get the process under way as your better time right now is to stop by Wally-World (or some other big-box) and stock up on a few boxes of baby muffler/absorbers. Enjoy your last good night of sleep for a while :hihi:

And Congratulations (in advance)!

Thanks Jay, the new stat will be here tomorrow. I just won't have any time till atleast Friday to put it on. I'll get it slapped on and see if it helps anything, I'm sure that's the only problem with it all. I'm going to go ahead and order a new A Team tonight too :thumbsup:

Wow, a new baby AND a new turbo; a very ambitious man.

I seem to remember ToysRus sold diapers and formula at cost to get people into the store. I don't know if they still do.

The first 40 days is a good time for a project....
Better for all concerned.
First baby is the one that breaks Y'all in. Enjoy the voyage, there's no end to it.

Wow, a new baby AND a new turbo; a very ambitious man.

I am thinking more along the lines of a very brave man for thinking that getting elbows deep in the engine compartment two days after first baby arrives is workable :D Lets see what happens when the Missus notices him missing for more than 20 minutes :hihi:

Yea Jay, we've been looking at babysrus and other places, and they still do those promotions sometimes... :mad2: Jay, I will have to say, I have the BEST wife in the world. She understands the way I work, I might be home oneday, get a call and have to leave for the other side of the country and be gone for 6+ months at a time. :nonod: Now granted, she used to come with me before we got pregnant. But I was only home for 2 weeks out of the 9 months she was pregnant. She also understands that I need my truck to be able to make it wherever the job is. And if it wasn't for all the soreness, and the new baby she would be laying right beside me in the dirt turning wrenches to get it all done :thumbsup:
Oh and BTW little Brittany Ann was born at 11:24 am, 7lbs 4oz and 20 1/2" long, and this is the proudest guy in the world right now :willynilly:

Thanks guys, I'm going to go and try to put in the new t-stat this afternoon after my parents show up for a visit. We'll see how the old girl runs now :thumbsup:

Ok guys, I got alittle break while the baby was taking a nap. I finally got out there and put in the new t-stat in, and took it for a spin. The temp was perfect! It would get up to 190, then drop like a rock to about 170. I couldn't tell if it was the fan, or my a/c compressor but something is making some noise. It really sounded like a fan rubbing on the shroud, but I checked it out and I can't find any sign of the fan rubbing anywhere. I'll take it for another ride when my dad isn't in the truck telling me it's to loud :rolleyes5:

Back