• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Low Temp

pipelinetrash89

Reaction score
Ok guys, I've got all of my cooling upgrades done now with the addition of a new radiator also. I took it for about a 30 minute drive, and I can't get it to warm up. It takes about 15 minutes for it to warm at all, and it only come up to the first mark above 160 on the gauge. I've taken it and opened the bleeder on top of the thermostat housing and all that comes out is coolant. So I'm stumped now, what do ya'll think I should try next?

What all did you do to it? If this all sarted after changing a water pump I would suspect you got one that spins the wrong way. Otherwise your T-stat is probably not fully closing.

Yea, I changed water pump, radiator, thermostat, fan, and upper and lower hoses. I got the spin on water pump and fan clutch and a d-max fan. Everything was Acdelco but the water pump, and it was a bosch. I didn't think the water pump would spin the other way?

Check your belt routing, not long ago someone put it on the wrong way.

Yea, that somebody was me :rolleyes5: But I've checked it 3 times, and it all seems right now me. I've taken the vac pump off when I was in there so a shorter belt was added. I'll go re-check again, but I'm 99% sure it the correct was around. If I run the crap out of it is the only time it will get above 160, anything else and the gauge never moves.

No, I got it put in there. I didn't really like the way it fit, but it's there. I don't have a work bench, I used the old radiator sitting on 5 gallon buckets as a work bench :thumbsup:

No, I got it put in there. I didn't really like the way it fit, but it's there. I don't have a work bench, I used the old radiator sitting on 5 gallon buckets as a work bench :thumbsup:

Did you put the t-stat in the right way? The pointy end should be facing up and they just drop right in.

yea, I put it in the way you said. I'm wondering if it isn't getting a good enough seal? Cause you could turn it upside down with it sitting there.

You're fine. The seal your worried about would be the entire housing joint. If it's bad, you leak coolant.

What's your ambient temps there now?

its between 60-65 outside. Yes, you could set it down in the base and push on one side and it would flip completely over. I don't have any leaks at all that I can tell, but I've only driven it yesterday for about 30 minutes. I want to take it for a good little romp, but I'm worried now that there might be something out of place so its just setting.

If it was mine I would go out and pull the heater hose off at the t-stat housing. Have somebody start it for a few seconds and see if it is sprays coolant out or not. Make sure it doesn't come out from the heater core side as this would indicate that the water pump is pumping backwards. And when it was running and not getting up to temp, was the upper radiator hose getting warm or staying cold? If it was getting warm this would mean that it is not sealing at teh t-stat and allowing coolant to get by which would not let it get up to temp.

Yes, the upper radiator hose was getting warm. I guess I'll take the thermostat out again tomorrow and check it again.

Sounds like your T-stat is getting bypassed. Does your t-stat look like this one? 131-91.jpg You did put it in so that the pointed end is up and the disc goes down correct? How tighhtly did the t-stat fit into the housing? Some housings I believe use a rubber seal around the t-stat and the gasket for the neck.

It didn't have the spring on the bottom. Looked the same other then that, and mine had a rubber seal around the disc part. It didn't fit tight at all, I could push on one side of it and it would flip upside down.

Well hell... I'll have to take it out and look tomorrow. I was also think about something. I have the hayden sevre duty fan clutch and did the mod on it to about 1/8th or 5/32. Could the fan be on ALL the time and keeping it from warming up? I guess while I'm tinkering I'll pull the fan back off to see if that helps out first

That's what I was thinking, but between the straight exhaust and the mud tires, you can't really hear much inside the cab. I had a 09 ford 6.4L that would scare you when the fan came on on it!

Back