• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

looking for newer truck

I live in NE Ohio so I know about rust and snow. We are the salt capital of the USA so things really rust around here.

As far as the RAM lasting vs a GM. I'd say it will last longer in our environment. Gm does a horrible job coating there frames from the factory. I've seen them rust out and break back by the fuel tank and up by the control arm mounts. Especially on truck used for plowing. Gm brake lines and ABS module location is a joke as well. Personally I won't ever buy a newer gm car or truck. Their quality has gone way down. I feel like I'm putting motors and transmission in GMs constantly at work. That why I bought my wife a newer honda. They are the best CAR manufacturer in the world in my opinion.

As far as front ends, the GM will ride better with the IFS. But, there are less moving parts in a solid axle. I do countless front end repairs on all the big 3. So really they're all the same in this department. The newer GMs eat ball joints just as bad as the Fords and Rams.

The 12v is a great engine, but he wants a newer truck so we should be talking about the 6.7 cummins. Which has proven itself to be the best common rail diesel engine on the market.

My vote is still for the RAM if you want a newer diesel truck.

Here is my view on all 3.

Ford- best chassis, worst engine, decent transmission
Gm- worst chassis, decent engine, best transmission
RAM- decent chassis, best engine, worst transmission.

Although the aftermarket has really help the 68 transmission in the RAM alot. So with some mods, they are lasting much longer

the front end on my gm is original and still passes an mto inspection,i change one axle and only because the cv boot was cracked and i was far from home and couldn't get the boot, no stock anywhere,the funny part was aftermerket cost 140.00+taxes, gm original 1200.00 +taxes just ridiculous,the location of the abs module is really dumb move,i forgot about that i did replace one in my truck, it had killed both batteries,another idiot price ,module and pump plus reprogram was 2,000.00 i found one off a wreck for 500.00,i will go out and test drive some this week and post my results

i also forgot to mention that many companies are starting to charge subscrition fees now' gm has announced that starting mid 2022 onstar will be manditory for the life of the vehicle,ford and cadillac has backdown for now,toyota had done it also. but because of u.s costomer pushback also backed down,tesla is charging fees, can you believe them charging you more per month to get more miles per charge,bmw now charges 18.00 per month for heated seats and 12 for heated steering wheel wow, we will never own a vehicle,i know everyone will keep there old ones but at some point and time this won't be possible,this is outragious and we must band together and say no,we will not pay orpay a hacker to stop them

The governments want the unlimited ability to track your every movement, tax you by the mile driven, track and control your speed, listen in on your conversations while driving, and if they decide, stop your vehicle. We MUST not allow any of that shit.

The governments want the unlimited ability to track your every movement, tax you by the mile driven, track and control your speed, listen in on your conversations while driving, and if they decide, stop your vehicle. We MUST not allow any of that shit.
I agree. Unfortunately we have already allowed it, and it may be too late to stop this crap now, this has been slowly creeping in to our lives from all sides for many many years, just so slowly and gradually we never noticed till now.

That’s my off topic rant for today lol.

unfortunately its on topic,when i find a good truck i keep it,my 06 was purchsed in 09 why take the chance to get newer one and get junk and there is no way i will pay a fee every month to drive ,after truck is paid,so for me that has taken out 2022 gm or chev trucks,ford and ram for now have backed down but that could change tomorrow

BMW is going to start charging $18 a month to use their heated seats. Pretty soon you will have to pay a fee to even drive your own truck. Hell eventually you wont own a vehicle and you will pay a fee to have access to a vehicle. That's what the manufactures want and they aren't hiding it from us.

Debit/credit card. E-payment. Venmo. Bitcoin. Well, I think you see that I disagree that we aren’t almost already in a cashless society.

Digital id is just electronic form of your analog id- your drivers license, social security card, birth certificate, etc.
Precisely, we’re already a long jump past that “line in the sand”, but they pushed us across it slowly so we wouldn’t catch on lol

now if youre a canadian,starting oct 6 your cellphone company may charge you a surplus for paying with your credit card,it looks like telus is getting the ok from the crtc,and of course all other cards and bussiness will jump all over this,so please check your bills to make sure that its not being added to the bill,it could add up fast

now if youre a canadian,starting oct 6 your cellphone company may charge you a surplus for paying with your credit card,it looks like telus is getting the ok from the crtc,and of course all other cards and bussiness will jump all over this,so please check your bills to make sure that its not being added to the bill,it could add up fast
Good to know, I wasn’t aware of that. Thanks!

Got some bad news. That line was crossed. And not a single shot was fired.

Despite a driver's license physically sitting in your wallet, RealID turned it into a digital ID complete with facial recognition ability, fingerprint(s) and financial account information. Oh, and it is RFID readable too, so all it takes is simply driving or walking past a scanner or facial recognition capable camera and that Gobment employee knows exactly who you are. And who you sleep with. And who your next of kin is. And...

So the US is already into the digital ID class, but the population simply wants to live in its bliss of thinking it aint so.

Sorry...

Got some bad news. That line was crossed. And not a single shot was fired.

Despite a driver's license physically sitting in your wallet, RealID turned it into a digital ID complete with facial recognition ability, fingerprint(s) and financial account information. Oh, and it is RFID readable too, so all it takes is simply driving or walking past a scanner or facial recognition capable camera and that Gobment employee knows exactly who you are. And who you sleep with. And who your next of kin is. And...

So the US is already into the digital ID class, but the population simply wants to live in its bliss of thinking it aint so.

Sorry...
Well you hit the nail with that one

Funny thing about the facial recognition system...
My son got a learners permit 4 years ago and it was with the facial recognition picture.

Went and took the test, but had lost the permit that day. They had to retake the picture.
The computer didn’t accept him as same person. The gal working there had to take his picture several times trying to say things like “smile bigger, maybe only smile half, as big try raising your eyebrows”. I asked how weird this was- She said it happens all the time.

That’s a good system. Ha ha Ha

Funny thing about the facial recognition system...
My son got a learners permit 4 years ago and it was with the facial recognition picture.

Went and took the test, but had lost the permit that day. They had to retake the picture.
The computer didn’t accept him as same person. The gal working there had to take his picture several times trying to say things like “smile bigger, maybe only smile half, as big try raising your eyebrows”. I asked how weird this was- She said it happens all the time.

That’s a good system. Ha ha Ha
Think it’s a joke? Check out the tech in places like China, they literally can spot you anywhere.

Think it’s a joke? Check out the tech in places like China, they literally can spot you anywhere.
I grew up in Vegas, family working the most advanced security systems - including the original facial recognition system. Remember the gubmint went to Steve Wynn for help on facial recognition systems in the first place. Chinese govt got their tech from the gaming businesses that went there.
I know it isn’t a joke- my point is the systems that the local level US government is currently using is not exactly impressive. Heck, the DMV here still uses fax machines!

The system of recognition still just says - hey there is an 87.351% chance that this guy is Mr. Joe Q. Public. Then a person looks at the subject and decides if ot is that individual.

Hell, 10% of people can’t decide if Joe Biden is the “real” Joe Biden or not. Same issue was there for Hillary Clinton. Funny how there wasn’t a big stink that Trump was a fake Trump.

It is a mess- and long term it is something that could get mighty accurate. Retina scans is a far better tech, just need more time/cameras up everywhere before they can use that.

Back