• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking for a Duramax... Selling my 6.5 - Looking for opinions

BigArt

In for the long haul
Reaction score
Hi all, I also posted this in in the 6.5 section, but wanted to post in the Duramax section as well. I hope that is OK.

We are thinking of selling the truck in my sig. Here's a pic http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/alb...chmentid=20039 and there is more in my album. It runs great, and has only about 60,000 KMs on the new long block. We just need a stronger pulling truck for the RV (about 15,000 lbs+) we want to get. We want to be snowbirds! :)

Q1: What do you think I could sell it for? Anyone interested on TTS first? Remember that we live in Canada and everything seems to be more expensive up here...

Q2: I am partial to Chev/GMC. My dream truck would be a K3500 Duramax dually crew cab. I don't want and can't afford a new one. I'm thinking 2007/8 or older. What year Duramax seems to be the best choice?

Thanks in advance. TTS is a great website and the members have kept me on the right path for years now.

Art​

look at '06 and '07 LBZ classics...but you will still be ok with '07.5, '08 & '09 LMM (new body style)

honestly you'd be ok with an '04.5 & '05 LLY as well...

I concur. 06 or 07 would be the best, 04.5-05 being the next best, and 08+ being great too. Being in Canada, you can strip the DPF off of the 08+ with no worries about emissions laws, etc.

What's your budget?

If you aren't looking for the most comfy interior on long trips it would be fine. Needs the better tow mirrors. The power extend ones on the '05 work great when you don't need them to extend.

The 2006's seem to be about $10,000 more expensive...

That's the price you pay for 6th gear/manual select, big air box and better factory tune.

I was wondering why it was so cheap, then I noticed it was 2WD...

Mike, the Cloth interior is surprisingly comfy. Our 05 is just an LS with cloth.

Mike, the Cloth interior is surprisingly comfy. Our 05 is just an LS with cloth.
I know it's pretty good. I had that in my '05 but then there was a big jump up in comfort with the '06 and the full out heated 7 way leather seats.

new to you truck

i sold my 99 crew cab dually,6.5 and bought a 2006and one half,so its a lbz,you need to watch vin #buy between a 2006and a half to 2007 and a half you can't go wrong and the pulling power difference is unreal ,just put the keys in it and drive,you do not need any upgrades,tunes and wathever else it pulls, the difference is hard to believe till you try it.the lbz gives you 360hp and 650 torque in those years ,i just rolled into 200,00 km with no powertrain failures and one set of rotors and pads,and of course all the oil services good luck

There are SRW 3500s but certainly not near as many as DRW but I believe they are all long beds. Not 100% sure about the bed.

All 3500's are long beds, but yes there are SRW 3500's. Also note that SRW 3500's often times actually have the same and sometimes lower GCVWR than the 2500 short bed due to the extra weight. Also 3500 SRW trucks come stock with 265/75/16's for the extra weight rating of 9600 I believe VS the 9200 for 2500HD's which come with 245/75/16's. The 3500 SRW is the same truck as the 2500HD, but with heavier rear spring packs under it. Dually's I believe also use the same frame as SRW, but have a much heavier rear spring pack and overloads. And the rear axle is the same for all DURAMAX trucks except for the width of it(duallys use a wider rear axle than the SRW unless it's a cab and chassis model which uses the same rear axle as the 3500 SRW but with duals on it). And cab and chassis models can be easily identified by the factory dual tanks as only cab and chassis models got dual tanks. And short beds got 25 gallon tanks whereas long beds got 34 gallon tanks.

All 2011+ Duramax (pickups) get the 36 gallon tank. Short and Long bed.

3500cc dually

All 2011+ Duramax (pickups) get the 36 gallon tank. Short and Long bed.
i think they are long beds ,but since weave purchased of the dually long bed we never use my wifes suv anymore the dually on the road is so nice to drive even if its empty,and my wifes suv even has air ride,now watch your gvwr as in ontario canada they are aggresively going after trucks pulling anything even me with my fifth wheel camper my gvwr on my dually is 11,400lbs so i now need a commercial sticker,but if you go with one at 9200lbs there is alot of fifth wheels that will put you over on your gross and they will park your truck two of my friends had to leave their camper in toronto that's about 8hr drive from where we live,so 2006,5 to 2007.5 gives you a better buy,the eight digit in the vin # must be a "d", this identifies your lbz,it gives you a glow system upgrade,faster acting shorter cycle,lly rating is 300hp 600 torque,lbz is 360hp,650 torque,the other advantage there is less emission controls on that year,there is another posting that said yo can eliminate the dpf filter it can't be done in ontario my friend has a shop that does e test and even if the truck passes the test you will get a fine for removing any emission controls, he learned this the hard way the mto are not always nice guys,of course all of this is my opinion,i am a mecanic by trade good luck mike

Back