• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lift pumps

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So I was thinking about getting a raptor LP. Then I started reading online about quite a few raptor issues. Is it a good pump? Seems like the prices for better pumps goes up exponentially.

From what I've seen and experienced, I would pass on a raptor. And I know the specs on the carter pumps is good, but you couldn't pay me to run one of those noisy pumps again after I had so many fail we ended up putting a spare in the jeep. I would run dual stock pumps or look into the dodge lift pump.

I had a friend who did the Raptor and didn't like it because it gave trouble. I have a Walbro which I did along with Leroy's wiring harness which I really like. Leroy is saying a lot of good things about the Carter which he is replacing the FRC10 with, which looks like a much easier unit to install. I may try that if mine ever quits.

I do want to say that I installed the wiring harness before I changed to the Walbro pump. With just the harness install the stock pump gained 2 PSI, that factory harness is a bad setup and is probly why the stock pump went out 2 weeks later, the result of the poor conductivity on the old harness causing the unit to run hot.

Part of the reason for another LP is to give me the option to run higher pressure if I decide to do an HP IP. What's the Dodge LP specs?

I've read decent things on the Raptor actually. I got one for my injection pump I had made and am going to give it a try. I can let you know how it does.

I keep wondering how an airdog would do. Their air removal is impressive, but such low pressure required by our pumps that idk if the cost could be justified. If I were back into the overbuilt db running 25-35, then yes.

Read up how greenmeanie did his electriconic to control pressure on the fly- way cool. Got to be best controlled fueling on any 6.5

I'll say this, Ive never had a bad report or warranty issue at all with the Raptor.
The Carter is a great pump also. Its quite and for the price range its in is excellent value at $145.
Are there better pumps out there? Yes but entry to those are $249 for just a pump.
If I can help I can get pretty much anything even if its not on my site.
http://leroydiesel.com/products/walbro-frc-10-lift-pump/

I'm just seeing this, so sorry about the late reply. I've been running a Raptor for almost 2-1/2 years with no problems - about half of that with my DS4 setup. Now that I have the hot DB2 pump, I have reached the limits of this lift pump. It will carry 25psi of pressure fine at idle, but anything beyond idle and the pressure drops. During a full throttle run it will drop down to 18psi. For most 6.5 applications, the Raptor is more than adequate, but I have reached a point where I will need to get something else on here at some point. When I do swap, I'll hit the dyno again to see if the drop in pressure is also a drop in flow of fuel to the IP. The drop in pressure could be affecting timing, too. So, so far I have no complaints, I've just outgrown it.

I'm just seeing this, so sorry about the late reply. I've been running a Raptor for almost 2-1/2 years with no problems - about half of that with my DS4 setup. Now that I have the hot DB2 pump, I have reached the limits of this lift pump. It will carry 25psi of pressure fine at idle, but anything beyond idle and the pressure drops. During a full throttle run it will drop down to 18psi. For most 6.5 applications, the Raptor is more than adequate, but I have reached a point where I will need to get something else on here at some point. When I do swap, I'll hit the dyno again to see if the drop in pressure is also a drop in flow of fuel to the IP. The drop in pressure could be affecting timing, too. So, so far I have no complaints, I've just outgrown it.

Having run db2 pumps that were up there in the psi requirement: yes, if your pressure is falling that far, you are leaving some ponies behind. I'm sure you have enough irons in the fire, but watch for a good price on your next LP. You'll be happy with the difference once you make the jump. Back when I did it, I used gas pumps and they just wore out quicker than they would have with gas.

I think you're just calling for more pressure than the raptor wants to push. Most only run that pump at 8-10 psi from what I've seen. Gerotor pumps aren't the best at moving volume and pressure.

Back