• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lift pump.

You should have shown up more often Barry... That's not mine anymore. Nephew owns it as of a couple weeks ago at 355k miles. I bought a 13 LML.
Wow, sounds great I hope you're enjoying your 013 LML. My son just got a brand new 2020 2500 HD with the Duramax and the 10-speed Allison and it is really really nice. I guess I'll be having my 07 LBZ after I finish doing the turbo, up pipes, manifolds, and Y Bridge eliminating the EGR completely. I've been running with the EGR blocked off for over a hundred K miles. The 2020 makes me want to run out and get one as it is such a nice ride but I just can't justify it

Any plans to put some "protective armor" around those filters? it could get interesting during off road operation, and even highway ops should one of those "rubber alligator skins" fly up into the filters.
I suggested that to him. He's likely to take my advice.

You have one.
this thread is in the duramax section and you have a 6.5 idi. They both have a ffm.
The ffm has a limited amount of water separation in it. Thats what the WIF (water in fuel) light is for. And why you have the drain valve from the ffm. When the light comes on drain it. By design of the factory ffm in the 6.5 can handle very limited amounts of water. It basically has a coating on it to repel water. When diesel fuel was only an oil this worked great. When ethonal/methanol is added the water emulsifies into the fuel and is much harder to separate. After a certain amount of water stays in contact with the filter it looses ability to stop the water. At 1/10 cup I would replace the filter- basically if you have to drain it because the light came on. It will still filter dirt- just not going to handle any more water.
The duramax ffm is better design and allows a bit more water to collect before hitting saturation point-about 1/6 cup.

When you are getting water as simple condensed humidity- either of these two are acceptable designs. If you get actual contaminated fuel like enough water builds up in the fuel tank at the gas station... you have an issue.
This is why many people invest in advanced water separators. How much money you want to spend vs how much protection it gives and what you can fit becomes the 3 way balancing game.

larger filter housings simply work better because you have to have a place for the water to be trapped away from the filter media. When water stays in contact with the filter it saturates it and allows the water to go through.
here is a video of the new fass water separator. Works well, but notice the total amount of water it can handle and he changes the filter after the heads up test to run the balance. He uses 190 ml ( about 3/4 cup) but also notice the large container didn’t filter as clean as the heads up test so it is more water than 2 fass filters can handle. So that is still 3/8 cup of water per filter.

It would be cool to see a third party test do heads up on different options.
If you look into the marina world- you will find more expensive and far better separators. Even though they might be worth it for many people, the size becomes the limiting factor. Here is one example, but good luck fitting it somewhere.

Ahhh...sorry didn't realize I was on Duramax thread...brain not functioning...need coffee.. anyhow..I Kno there's the peacock valve in front of engine..that drains to ground...but is there another valve I am missing? I don't trust dash lights cause never know which ones are working...I've never seen that light.didnt know it existed till you just said it...have to investigate

Back