• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

liberty diesel

devildogadam

Reaction score
20150116_205127.jpg 20150116_143720.jpg So I purchase a new to me 2006 jeep liberty as some of you saw in my other thread ( purchasing a 2002 duramax). I figured I would move it over here where it belongs.
So far the first tank on the trip home with my wife's bike on the back got 19.47 mpg with the cruise set between 85-90 mph. I thought it would be a bit better, but still not to bad for the speed.
Today I drove it to Las Vegas and back on one tank with no bike on the back. I kept the cruise set on 65 or 70 on the back roads and 75 on the highway. This helped the little diesel net 21.31 mpg I think a few fuel economy minded mods are in the future. Here are some pics of the little rig

I always wondered what kind of fuel mileage those got. Nice rig!

Not bad. Nice to see another CRD around here.

Don't expect much better MPG than you are getting.

If you wanna put a Tune on it, the best out there is from GDE. I have a TS MP8 on mine and have no complaints.

Keep an eye on the Fuel Heater on the Filter Head. Some leak where the Plug is and you'll get air in the Fuel.

A small Lift Pump is a good addition too.

Glow Plugs are going to be a pain in the ass to change if you ever need to.

There's some Trans Updates too that can be done to make it run better. Converter shudder is pretty common, Suncoast makes an upgraded converter. You may have problems with the Shift Interlock cable and it not letting you get the Key out, I disconnected the cable on mine.

When it comes time for tires, put on some 235/70-16's. It'll look better, won't rub, and won't throw off the speedo by much. It's the "other" size that these come with, IIRC it's the Renegade tire size.

Other than that, it's been good to me.

Thank you for the advice. I am in love with this little thing. It is just barely big enough for my family, and it is a real 4x4!! And it is pretty quick for a small suv. I am thinking about going with an ecotune from GDE then have a 2.5 inch down pipe made to delete the cat and run a strait through muffler. That way it will growl just a bit and have less back pressure (maybe a wee bit of black stuff). Then possible play with making a better intake. I figure just about everything that applies to big diesels will apply to this baby motor.

Nice whip. How many miles on it? I am so surprised that there aren't more 4 and 6 cylinder diesels in domestic vehicles.

How much are CRD Liberty's going for these days? If you dont mind telling. Thats better mileage than my renegade got with 3.7 gasser. It had tranny shudder from the showroom. I thought the mileage was better on the CRD. Keep us posted on mileage gains. I still want one, and good luck with it. I love that body style, and am jealous.

I paid $11,000 and it came with the luggage bars on top, and the bike carrier. Which was great because I rode the bike out and purchased the car then loaded the bike on the back and drove home. It was a fun day full of speed and fuel economy, and those two don't normally go together.

Just found the forum LostJeeps. Anyone on here a member? Found lots of good info and neat tricks for my liberty. And a lot of cool things to spend money on. The Wifey will be mad.

I'll have to look up that jeep forum, forums have a way of pissing off women with trick parts. I only belong to the fullsize jeep forum IFSJA. I never would have figured that my grand wagoneer was gonna be the vehicle I saved, that would be worth something with age. The only reason I'm attached to it is because I was driving it to get Jeep parts right when 911 happened. I don't know why, but I can't get rid of it. I believe that bodystyle liberty/renegade will be collectable like the cj8 scrambler, which is my next project. I was thinking about 80mph and 18ish mpg, and thats pretty good.

Nice whip. How many miles on it? I am so surprised that there aren't more 4 and 6 cylinder diesels in domestic vehicles.

First off to the OP thanks for sharing. It is interesting to see how these are really doing.

To answer the question for a rig using Diesel IMO this is truly shitty MPG for a small rig and that may be the reason car makers don't bother. Yes, MPG and CPM may not be the only reason going diesel for some. For reference on a run to Las Vegas with a pocket rocket 2007 Trailblazer SS with a 6.0 L V-8 400HP/400 Lb-ft would get 18 MPG. A 2008 HUMMER H3 Alpha (4x4) with a 5.3L V-8 also gets 18 MPG and that includes the 80 MPH experimental freeway zones in Utah.

On the more expensive diesel fuel: my 2003 1 ton crew cab long bed Cummins does 19-20 mixed in town freeway. AC drops the MPG to 16. Even the emissions strangled 2008 Duramax would get 18 MPG, W/ AC on, freeway.

That is very true about the fuel economy of these small diesels. Shoot, my dad had a 1995 Chevy suburban with the TBI 350 and that got 16 city 18 highway. It is sad how much the egr/maf/cat converter/stock tuning rob these little engines of what they are capable of. And it really is the manufacturer's fault/being in bed with the exception oil companies. That kills these little fuel sippers. So far I am very disappointed in the economy but I will be tinkering, modding and making it as fuel efficient as I can. I won't be happy until I get past the 30 mpg mark

No. That would be nice. But I am trying to keep this as the family car. So that means eco tune, exhaust, intake tube, egr delete. Then see where it is at. But first I an just going to do some much needed maintenance. Like cleaning the map sensor and replacing the air filter.

There was an article done by diesel power magazine where they took a liberty diesel and tweaked it. They found what worked and what didn't. You may want to try and search for it just to peruse it prior to doing any work just for ideas.

Just found the forum LostJeeps. Anyone on here a member? Found lots of good info and neat tricks for my liberty. And a lot of cool things to spend money on. The Wifey will be mad.

Yep, I'm over there. My name is "duramaxxed".

Also, the exhaust systems from the Gas Liberty's bolt right up. I have the Magnaflow system on mine and it sounds nice. Not loud at all, but a nice tone. I have my Cat "Cleaned Out" ;)

When you get the OE Muffler off and look down in it and see how much it necks down, you'll wonder WTF was going through the persons head that approved that as being ok.

Also, I swiss cheesed the OE airbox on the side that butts up to the Fender and have an Amsoil OE replacement air filter.

Unplug the the Sensor that is on the Neck of the Airbox lid. That will turn off the EGR. You'll get a CEL, but it will not affect driveability at all, it'll run ALOT better infact and even with mine being tuned, there is 0 smoke with the EGR off, but if I plug it back in, it'll smoke.

You'll def want to pull the Engine cover and clean your MAP sensor. It's on the top, driver side of the motor, towards the back. It's under some harnesses you'll have to wiggle out of the way, but it's worth it once you see how caked in soot it is.

I have done nothing to the little jeep yet. This weekend I will change the oil and disconnect the maf. Then clean the map and see how she runs. I finally had to fill it up again and driving strictly on the Marine base (max speed 35 mph) it got 19.95 mpg. Which is not to bad for low speed and stop and go traffic you get on base. But it can always be better so I will start to tinker with it.

I have done nothing to the little jeep yet. This weekend I will change the oil and disconnect the maf. Then clean the map and see how she runs. I finally had to fill it up again and driving strictly on the Marine base (max speed 35 mph) it got 19.95 mpg. Which is not to bad for low speed and stop and go traffic you get on base. But it can always be better so I will start to tinker with it.

It'll prob. stumble a little bit after you disconnect the MAF and clean the MAP, since it's been living with the EGR on and Sooted up MAP its whole life. But the ECU will relearn and everything will be good.

Also, with the high miles and EGR being on for all those miles, pull in the Intercooler tubes and see if they are coated with oil. If they are, think what the inside of the Intercooler and other stuff in the Intake Tract look like. Samco makes nice replacement tubes.

Back