• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lets talk exhaust brakes

i've got it tuned in on my lbz with efi live; at 0% tps the turbo vanes close to 95% and it slows me right down. no where near as effective as a conventional jake is but for the options out there it suits me just fine :)

Exhaust brakes typically use a butterfly valve in the exhaust to restrict flow and build up backpressure.

Jacobs brakes open the exhaust valve at the top of the compression stroke and the drag and compression force the piston back down the cylinder and it builds a retarding force like that. However it should be noted Jacobs brake is just a brand of engine brakes. But due to there popularity the term engine brake and jake brake have become intertwined.

On the newer trucks, they take advantage of the Variable Vein Turbochargers that they utilize to build backpressure, by closing all the veins in the charger to restrict the flow of exhaust. Think of it as running a turbo with a really tight exhaust housing when the veins close.

Sounds like plenty of future issues.... I use to drive a Nissan UD cab forward truck that had a vacuum actuated exhaust brake, I loved it too. Just one more thing to do when dropping off a highway or down a hill, O/D Off, exhaust brake on, and slow she does, saves a ton in brake wear. Basically a free resource to use.

Why is it that the auto transmission seems to almost completely disengage itself while slowing down? To prevent stall?

Jacobs brakes open the exhaust valve at the top of the compression stroke and the drag and compression force the piston back down the cylinder and it builds a retarding force like that. However it should be noted Jacobs brake is just a brand of engine brakes. But due to there popularity the term engine brake and jake brake have become intertwined.

This is correct. in "retarders for retards" terminology, it turns the engine into a big compressor. Drive line turns it instead of it turning the driveline

The TCC unlocks on decel because of the hollow input shaft - the shaft survives hi-torque application because of soft-apply, and the unlock prevents reverse-torque distress, which has resulted in shaft-breakage in hd service

My Cat motorhome has a Jacobs 'Extarder' 2-stage exhaust brake feature...

The BD Torqloc was the original OBD-I lockup... they came out with the AutoLoc for OBD-II but it never really worked right. From what I've heard, the AutoLoc works a heck of a lot better on OBD-I than the TorqLoc, too.

My old Mack (Maxidyne engine) had a 1-stage Jake on it... with a 5-spd std. What a PITA with a big load on, you could barely shift it without the jake.

A KW I had later had a 3-stage jake, 5x4... sweet. Love that sound coming down a mountain road ...

Back