• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lets talk exhaust brakes

JeffsJeep04

Reaction score
I used to run class 8 dumptrucks, and LOVED having the jake brake. I know they make them for the smaller trucks, but do they (or rather, how do they) work with an auto? Who's got one, and can comment on the effectiveness on a light duty truck, namely our 6.5's?

Do you still get the jake brake sound? Gotta annoy the neighbors sometimes, right?

don't jake's partially close the exhaust valve's?....and brakes for our trucks just shut off the exhaust?....you won't get much noise that way?

don't jake's partially close the exhaust valve's?....and brakes for our trucks just shut off the exhaust?....you won't get much noise that way?

You got it right jakes on big trucks used the valves where as exhaust brakes just restrict the exhaust causing back pressure.

I know with my truck with the handshaker just being a high compression engine that the 6.5 is it will slow you down on just about any grade. But a exhaust brake would work on a manual 6.5.

The price is why i have never looked into them any further maybe if i towed heavy all the time. But to answer the original question about sound you will not get the same sound as the big trucks make two different types of systems.

unfortunately the 6.5 was not a real big engine for producing backpressure so the exhaust brake was limited on how well it would work then you add the auto trans without lock up and it made it worse. The only company I heard of that made an exhaust brake for the 6.5 chevy was BD, you can try contacting Pat there to see if they still do anything with them

price and operstion was why I went to upgraded brakes on the truck, but SSBC twin piston up front & EGR disc conversion wasn't cheap either, but necessary with what I tow, if trailer brakes ever give out I wanted all braking the old girl could muster up, so did the brake/disc/rotor mods

Exhaust brakes typically use a butterfly valve in the exhaust to restrict flow and build up backpressure.

Jacobs brakes open the exhaust valve at the top of the compression stroke and the drag and compression force the piston back down the cylinder and it builds a retarding force like that. However it should be noted Jacobs brake is just a brand of engine brakes. But due to there popularity the term engine brake and jake brake have become intertwined.

On the newer trucks, they take advantage of the Variable Vein Turbochargers that they utilize to build backpressure, by closing all the veins in the charger to restrict the flow of exhaust. Think of it as running a turbo with a really tight exhaust housing when the veins close.

I've heard you can do that with the LLY d-maxes too

As long as you have EFI live you can do that with the LLY, LBZ, and LMM. Currently GM from the factory doesent offer it as an option on there pickups. But the 4500 and 5500 duramaxes have and while I cant say for sure, unless somthing has changed still offer it as an option. There is also the FPE turbobrake that while Im not sure how it operates can be added to the truck also in place of EFI live and also operates in a different manner.

Exhaust brakes typically use a butterfly valve in the exhaust to restrict flow and build up backpressure.

Jacobs brakes open the exhaust valve at the top of the compression stroke and the drag and compression force the piston back down the cylinder and it builds a retarding force like that. However it should be noted Jacobs brake is just a brand of engine brakes. But due to there popularity the term engine brake and jake brake have become intertwined.

On the newer trucks, they take advantage of the Variable Vein Turbochargers that they utilize to build backpressure, by closing all the veins in the charger to restrict the flow of exhaust. Think of it as running a turbo with a really tight exhaust housing when the veins close.

ON Macks the were called Dynatard(although some Mack engines were optioned with a jakes usually put on after the fact.) Dynatards generally helped more shifting that slowing and they beat the sh#t out of the cam. Engine brake on a pickup is ridicoulous waste of money. The idea is to cut down on exhaust restriction not create it. If you want that put the stock exhaust system back on. That causes plenty...:)
......of course on the other side....
There was no greater feeling that hittin the Jake on my 76 KW with a 400 bigcam 6inch pipes. I loved getting up next to old ladies in K Cars and nailin that sucker and seeing the car nearly run off the road....:reddevil::reddevil:

BD does make a 6.5 kit. I believe they also make an electronic lock-up for the 4L80E OBD-II. I have seen a few on 6.5's here in BC as BD is local..(Abbotsford BC)

Back