• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Let the insanity begin! Time to Yank it.

Nice flash to ~2000 RPM from a dig. Of course 2K is where the ATT comes to life. A bigger pump would flash more RPM best seen after the shift around 70 MPH. As it is boost is around 11 PSI when it is capable of 14-18 - just not enough fuel.

I mean I pass emissions without screw adjustments and the fuel screw is buried now... :rolleyes:

So 1000 miles later.
Compare the performance of a 6.2 NA pump cranked up with a stall to a 6.5 IP with a 1/4 turn and turbomaster on a factory converter. I give the edge to the stall converter. I am simply in the power band even with less fuel it's really peppy around town unloaded.

We really would like a bigger pump, but, it's simply unnecessary.

Have Pickup: will help you move.
Dropped a small trailer on the back and loaded till the axle smiles.
backing up a steep driveway the front wheels hang on the 'curb' at the bottom of the driveway. Usually this is a foot on the floor and nothing happens situation stock and a (exhaust) smoke show with a larger turbo.

Breaking the rear wheels loose in reverse with a trailer can go south quick!

With the stall converter I am sitting at 2000 RPM and then the turbo lights off followed by the peg leg rear wheel. It then continues over the curb with the rear wheel smoking. I have had to idle the engine in the driveway to let it cool down after pushing the trailer up it. It's really a 4 LOW situation (for safety) and the 5.3 V8 used required it to get up the driveway with the trailer loaded...

Nothing like a 6.2 ATT flat out at 2 grand in reverse.

With someone else driving the pickup away I got to hear how it sounds from a distance. Couple blocks away you can still hear it! Close to but, not a 454 Big Block sound. Reved up as the stall converter does all the time it roars wicked good.

People tell me they can hear it blocks away, but, now I know what they mean.

Best mpg too..

Not always. Lugging with smoke is worse MPG than revving it up and no smoke.

Anything over 45 MPH or 41 MPH with the converter locked the stall speed no longer matters. Unless it's lugging when it needs to be unlocked / lower gear.

Not always. Lugging with smoke is worse MPG than revving it up and no smoke.

Anything over 45 MPH or 41 MPH with the converter locked the stall speed no longer matters. Unless it's lugging when it needs to be unlocked / lower gear.
I'm running stock converter stall speed OD is a 45 mph lockup is a 48 mph measured GPS and since the HX40w 18 cm2 CKO my 99 Burb has much, much better low speed drive-ability even though the boost is lower than is was w/GM8 turbo been thinking long and hard about 1.2k stall speed w/larger or multi-clutch assembly because it will generate less heat I suspect lugging will not be an issue because of the low rpm torque available.

I just haven't seen low end TQ out of these engines. Peak TQ with the small GM turbo is ~2200 RPM. Less backpressure and better turbo may change it some, but, the ones I have run all like more RPM not less.

For me at a stoplight they lug out with black smoke with the AC on and fan locked in. So Spool Valve helps, but, slipping the engine to the powerband to get this hulk moving works way better and less smoke. High outside temps do derate engine power.

After things are moving a lower stall converter to keep you near peak TQ could work. But, getting it there IMO is a miserable lugged out slow smoke show. Just lock the high stall converter up after you get moving.

I get between 1,500 and 1,800 rpm's before truck starts to move depending on how hard I push down the pedal, light pedal no smoke heavy pedal lots of bellowing smoke and leaps forward with the combination I have now.

I was thinking the 1.2k would actually be between 1.2k and 1.5k with my heavy Suburban all the converter guys are stating when modifying a diesel a lower than stock stall speed gives better results especially w/heavy vehicles..I haven't experienced lugging with this 6.5td.

There is a place between 35 MPH and 45 MPH I think a low stall would help. I reach over and force the TCC on with an override switch esp in town for long 35 MPH stretches of road. (I have since obtained a tune to do that w.o. the switch.) Otherwise the benefit of a slow start and it's useless over 45 MPH isn't worth it going low stall. 200-300 RPM drop factory and more RPM drop ~700 with a high stall converter depending on load of course. IMO Locking up a converter with a clutch that can hold the torque at 35 MPH in the tune has more benefit than a low stall converter. I don't think the factory TC Clutch is up to the job at 35 MPH as noted above because it wouldn't hold for me on a grade unloaded. The Yank overkill clutch does hold...

How many people are doing this on a 6.5? Other engines like the low RPM 5.9 Dodge Cummins have low end grunt to the point of cooking a MT lugging in OD. Other diesels where a low stall converter works do not translate well over to the 6.5. Again the idea of a high stall converter is from a 1979 Seville with the hand grenade 5.7 Olds diesel in it. That was the only way to get any power out of that engine was revving it up.

There is also converter diameter and efficiency to consider along with the stall number. Yes the converter I have will warm things up if I drop the hammer to the floor in reverse pushing a trailer up a steep incline. (The factory stall wouldn't even move that load in reverse when hung on the curb where the high stall will smoke the rear tires. Again the 6.5 doesn't have the low end power other diesels do.) However I don't notice trans temps over 180 with it driving around (like I stole it) even unlocked at 35 MPH - the same temp the stock converter ran at.

There is also converter diameter and efficiency to consider along with the stall number. Yes the converter I have will warm things up if I drop the hammer to the floor in reverse pushing a trailer up a steep incline. (The factory stall wouldn't even move that load in reverse when hung on the curb where the high stall will smoke the rear tires. Again the 6.5 doesn't have the low end power other diesels do.) However I don't notice trans temps over 180 with it driving around (like I stole it) even unlocked at 35 MPH - the same temp the stock converter ran at.
I have noticed that reverse issue on many occasions with the 4L80e but also on my old Ram Cummins w/47 RH and the cummins has more tq across the board too.

Back