• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leaf spring time

I like the install and forget, i do need a new set, mine are completely shot and misaligned i'm liking the idea of the roadmaster and add a leaf.... i'm going to see how much that runs and go from there

IIRC the Roadmaster is around $250 for a set, I'd try that 1st, then add springs if your ride is soft, even though I'm a 1500, I bought the set for the XXIIF for the 2500/3500 truck which is a little stiffer than the 1500 set

Cannot argue with the set and forget logic and based on Tim's experience roadmaster is obviously a worthy solution.

I like Tim's idea of sucking it and seeing, but then again a piece of me is also thinking why have to go at it twice.

I am though also thinking that if your springs are that bad as you described 'completely shot and misaligned' then perhaps these solutions at this point are more of a bandaid so to speak. I've often thought that at a certain point even adding a leaf is not a viable fix for springs that have more than had their day.

If money is no object then perhaps your best bet is a somewhat custom set of springs with the roadmaster to get the load capacity with a softer ride when empty.

Cheers
Nobby

I've been following this thread out of general curiosity. More than once you have stated that your original springs are worn out and that they have failed, if that is the case then why not replace them? The other products are great to supplement a working suspension, but I don't think they should be used as proverbial bandaids for your system. Someone suggested a custom made set of springs for your application, have you priced them? Those seem the way to go. I think the link for Alcan was posted, don't forget there is also Deaver Suspension, I have heard of them making stock height springs: http://www.deaverspring.com/products/leafsgm.html

What ever you do, dont buy helper springs. When I bought back my 96' the jackass had installed a set of them and they are horrible. The ride is very rough and they make all sorts of noise. I added another leaf to either side just a few months ago, and that seemed to help alot. But I will be getting rid of the helpers and going with airbags or something like turbine doc has. My truck tends to be overloaded all the time as well :D

I've been following this thread out of general curiosity. More than once you have stated that your original springs are worn out and that they have failed, if that is the case then why not replace them? The other products are great to supplement a working suspension, but I don't think they should be used as proverbial bandaids for your system. Someone suggested a custom made set of springs for your application, have you priced them? Those seem the way to go. I think the link for Alcan was posted, don't forget there is also Deaver Suspension, I have heard of them making stock height springs: http://www.deaverspring.com/products/leafsgm.html

Another thought. You have a 2500 correct? Why not go to the salvage yard and get a set of 1 ton springs off a same bodystyle truck? I would imagine it would be a direct bolt on. I could be wrong though.

I took a '78 truck to a truck/trailer shop and they reworked my springs at a reasonable cost. They replaced a busted spring and restacked/banded them. They also added a anti-wrap half leaf (it was a leaf that was on the front side of axle towards the front shackle). This was to add wrap resistance w/o significantly added unloaded ride harshness since it was only half lenght.

I also think if your springs are that bad as mentioned I too think you might need to start fresh and add capacity too. The bushings are probably worn out causing some performance loss too. A 1 ton set if they will fit from LMC truck might be a good source. While dreaming looking at LMC I have thought about doing that.

IMO they & air bags when pressed up degrade the ride comfort GMs are known for, that was what led me to the Roadmaster setup totally passive in ride effect uness extra load is applied even then ride IMO is not harsh, also aids in handling of the vehicle which bags & springs don't do.

Tim, you're right with the ride comfort, but I don't care about that. I want it the most simple as possible. That's why i said install and forget.
And IIRC the Add-a-Leafs are the cheapest solution.

But everyone got his/her own preferences, so.........

Cu,
Sven

Tim, you're right with the ride comfort, but I don't care about that. I want it the most simple as possible. That's why i said install and forget.
And IIRC the Add-a-Leafs are the cheapest solution.

But everyone got his/her own preferences, so.........

Cu,
Sven

As you say to each his own on preference, RMs are as simple a install as it comes, you don't have to disassemble the spring set, also set & forget, design is so simple/functional I kicked myself for not thinking of it :mad2:

As you say to each his own on preference, RMs are as simple a install as it comes, you don't have to disassemble the spring set, also set & forget, design is so simple/functional I kicked myself for not thinking of it :mad2:

Okay Tim, in this point you got me. The RM is easier to install, but for me the additional leaf spring is more simple the the RM system.

So he asked for opinions. Now he got a lot of variety's.

Cu,
Sven

It seems the Roadmaster takes the weight and focus's it on another area of the spring. I can see how it works so well, I'm surprised it hasn't snapped any springs.

I think on all of our older rigs our ride quality is sufferable. If we couldn't tolerate it, we'd have newer rigs.

Maybe the 1500's are a different ballgame.

If I had to upgrade springs I'd try that roadmaster for sure, assuming base springs are decent.

It seems the Roadmaster takes the weight and focus's it on another area of the spring. I can see how it works so well, I'm surprised it hasn't snapped any springs.

I think on all of our older rigs our ride quality is sufferable. If we couldn't tolerate it, we'd have newer rigs.

If I had to upgrade springs I'd try that roadmaster for sure, assuming base springs are decent.

Matt, I don't think they work on the over load set ups.

Well since he clarified that his old springs are not only shot, they are misaligned and so forth, so they really do need to be replaced. So that means new springs. I'd stay away from junkyard springs, I've used them before but you never really know what you're getting, how much life they have left, plus new springs really aren't bad money. Junkyards around here have gone sky high with pricing everything now too. I either buy new or get parts or parts trucks on craigslist instead of the old junkyard. Which is sad, I miss the junkyard. Anyway.

So now it seems his choices are a new set of springs, a new set of heavier upgrade springs, or either one with an add-on load carrying supplemental device. I think with 3-5k pin hitch weights 5k airbags are the best bet. I havent had a leak yet and I did the install myself. My truck rides a lot better with the bags. My old springs, the overloads hit the stoppers every time I hit a bump, caused a banging noise. With 20-30 lbs I keep them up away from the stoppers and it's smooth. With a big load on and 50lbs in, the ride is better. The heavier it is loader the smoother it rides, I'm sure you 3500 guys have noticed this. I do like the activesuspension and almost bought one for a 1500, but I don't think I'd do it on a heavier truck. I guess it does work well, but I can't help but feel it is working the springs harder, whereas the bags are taking the load away from the springs.

Weak soft worn springs and 5k bags work great for me!

At risk of sounding like a RM salesman (I am not one) and I don't want to make this a RM or nothing else thread just offering some advise after running the RM since 2005.

I don't think its a model thing possibly work done in it's life thus far being the discriminating factor or a setup like yours with heavy tool boxes putting extra strain over time though mine pulls heavy when reqd., I don't pull heavy often so my springs are still "fresh ???", but maybe it is model related ,

As far as the RM putting the load elsewhere on the spring they don't work that way, the load works against the coil spring in the RM itself which is adjusted when you 1st install them for firmness when loaded up see pics attached

They clamp around the top of the rear spring loop, then clamp on top of the spring stack, with the all thread tensioned against the coil spring which sets the load force to be worked against the coil when load is applied

And I think Leo is correct, they can't be used with add a leaf load helper springs, I sort of recall that with the installation instructions, or maybe it's listed on the RM web site.

Attachments

• MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 2
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 1
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 1
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 1
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 1
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 1
Tim, one of the first times you linked to the RM site I checked it out and IIRC they mentioned it didn't work with over ride springs or I just thought there was no room for it. Danged if I can remember.:nonod:

Tim,

I also think RM changed the design for the GM trucks (unless the photos they show on some of the web pages are not specific to our model) they no longer get placed under the U bolts clamping the spring pack...they clamp around the whole spring pack which would make for an even easier install...that and you don't have to worry about compromising your U bolts due to being loosened and re torqued...

I never meant for my truck. Factory C&C springs have been more than enough for me. Slow n Steady wins the race for this big tank.

If I had a 1500 or 2500 I'd use the setup Tim has. I just like the logic behind it, and of course price and ease of install.

Over here in the rust belt anything suspension related you just plan on it needing to be cut off and replaced. If it actually cherries and comes off and is not rotted and is re-usable, thats just bonus. Don't even bother attempting without a torch handy. All winter long these parts get sandblasted with salt.

Why call the plows out when we can just keep salting all night?? .. Speaking of my plow is ready to go. All the work last year still holding up well. Nothing to do this year.

I found a place in Grand Rapids, MI called State Spring that either manufactures or has a source for hd springs with a 2" lift so i won't need my blocks anymore. I'll bring my truck there and have them check it out and bring back what i find out. But yes, i need new springs, that's why i started this thread, i'm not looking for band-aids, i'm starting fresh and wanted to "do it right the first time". I'm also getting a quote from the two places mentioned that build them. It's going to take a little bit since i'm in North Dakota at the moment trying to fix my truck (freightliner) and get home.

Back