• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leaf spring time

You're a good ways away from me, but I have two sets of rear leafs out of our vintage trucks that I have no use for. I bought them about 13 years back. They're pretty new and still have the factory paint on them. If you're down this way, or if you have someone driving through coming your way, let me know. I'll make it worth your while because they're not worth much to me.

Either way you go, I'm not a fan of add-a-leaf kits at all. They help to a certain point, but beyond that point, they are detrimental and cause more sag than without them due to their geometry. I don't think you'll like them if you haul heavy at all. It sounds like the re-spring deal is the way to go and you're on the right track.

Well, I looked and can't find them. I may have sold them a while back and forgot. Sorry about that. I did come across two rear full floating axles I still have, though...

ok, well the springs have been found. I can still get dimensions if you need them. One set is from a dually and the other is a partial set from a 2500 or 3500 SRW. Let me know.

Pending Adam's verdict on the springs, I may be interested in the SRW springs. My LR main loop around the bushing is busted all to hell.

I will measure my springs in the morning to make sure.

I have always just gone to a spring shop with the old ones and had new ones built. Otherwise anything "new" you buy is going to be Chinese made garbage and probably not half as good as a worn set of factory ones. JMHO but on Long Island where I grew up there were many spring shops that could build anything you wanted. That is the route I would go. The only aftermarket ones I have ever used are lift kit ones and those have degraded 1000 percent since the old days and a good set of American made Ranchos. BTW adding a leaf or two is easy. Just need new center bolts. If you have a shop press(a decent one) you could build them your self.

Pending Adam's verdict on the springs, I may be interested in the SRW springs. My LR main loop around the bushing is busted all to hell.

I will measure my springs in the morning to make sure.
^^^^^
he needs them more then i do mine are in working condition still

SRW K3500 springs

My K3500 SRW springs measure:

63 1/4" on centers main leaf on truck.
2 1/2" wide leaves.
3/8" thick leaves- Except for the thick stopper/helper leaf.

DSC_0410.jpgDSC_0407.jpgYeah, that's about right. Since these are un-sprung off the truck, they'll measure a little longer.

I had 2 1/2" wide, about 65" OC on the main top spring (un-sprung) and the stack, itself, is 5 3/4" tall at the U-bolts on the dually set. The set from the 3500SRW, I have apparently taken one of the lower springs from it. The upper 3 springs and bottom thick leaf are still there. These were sitting in a building for a few years at a neighbor's house. The building got torn down and the springs sat outside, so the paint is pretty well weathered off. I bought them, though, in the summer of '98 and they've been unused since that time.

The green is just moss from being outside in the weeds. I'm embarassed because I thought these were in the same building with the axles this whole time and they were not. More pictures if needed. Let me know.

Last edited:
Looks like the SRW springs got a little crusty.

I'd better spring (no pun) for a couple new main leaves then, but thanks for posting back.

The dually springs would be a little much for what I need. Would they even bolt up?

Yeah, they're surface rusted, but they're not scaled or pitted. Just the factory paint is weathered off. The high side is that it's just from what mother nature dropped on them, not from road salt.

If you didn't add the braces on the top for the helpers to rest on, it wouldn't do you any good to put them in, as is, on that set. Whatever works, man. I'm ok with it either way. They're not eating anything and this has, at least, gotten them back home for me to be able to store out of the weather.

Back