• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ Glow Plug Replacement

saratoga

Unpaid Help
Reaction score
It started throwing P0676 out of the blue one morning which indicates that the glow plug on the #6 cyl is open. The last digit in the code indicates the cylinder number. I know you're supposed to replace all 8, but at $20 a piece, I'm going to chance replacing only the bad one.

attachment.php

On the Dmax, the cylinders are numbered starting from the passenger front 1-3-5-7 and the driver's front 2-4-6-8. The number 6 cylinder is the third one from the front on the driver's side.

First, disconnect the batteries.

Remove the inner fender liner which is the biggest PITA of the whole process. I didn't show pics of that because it's not hard to figure out, just that there are about 10 clips holding it in and it's got a couple of big harnesses clipped to it from inside also. You can get a good view of all 4 glow plugs this way- they're right on top of the exhaust manifold and slightly angled towards the back of the engine. There will be one wire with an 8 mm nut holding it on.

attachment.php

Next, remove the 8 mm nut from the offending glow plug.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next, using a 12 mm deep well socket, carefully remove the glow plug. I'm not in the salt belt so corrosion isn't an issue here, but I imagine these things could get pretty nasty over time... penetrating oil is probably a good idea.

New and old. The tip isn't broken off the old one THANK GOD! :hurray:
attachment.php

They're supposed to have 1 ohm or less resistance; this one might be a little over. :eek:

attachment.php

I put some anti-sieze on the threads and started the new glow plug in the head by hand making sure not to cross the threads. Tighten to 18 ft/lb. Reinstall the connector and put the 8 mm nut back on the connector.

attachment.php

Put the fender liner back in, clear the codes and you're done.

Attachments

• DSC01851.jpg
    DSC01851.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,047
  • DSC01844.jpg
    DSC01844.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 969
  • DSC01845.jpg
    DSC01845.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 945
  • DSC01846.jpg
    DSC01846.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 936
  • DSC01847.jpg
    DSC01847.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 933
  • DSC01848.jpg
    DSC01848.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 921
  • DSC01849.jpg
    DSC01849.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 932
Thanx for the write up ....#8 will be next on my to due list as of tonight....maybe I'll get to it before October.....

Well my truck started throwing a 0678 code this week(twice so far).Im glad to see that the number 8 is on the driver side b/c the twins are deff going to make the pass side a pita to change.Whats the main reason for changing all 8?I only have 47k but I DO NOT want to remove the twins to replace glow plugs that are working.Thanks for taking the time on the write up.

Very nice write-up Grady!

Looks like I'm gonna be replacing #7 glowplug on my '06 LBZ this weekend.

I'm hoping the tip is not broken off....

The Tech Bulletin says to replace all 8, but I'm hoping I will only need to replace the one that's setting the P0677 code.

What is the risk if I only replace ONE glowplug?

P0675 DTC Glow Plug Replacement (Number 5 Cylinder)

Just to update the record. I had the P0675 DTC come up. Thanks to Grady, the job was a snap. $25.10 for the part at the dealer. The fender liner removal was the hardest part of the job. (PS. clean out the gunk that is built up behind the fender liner while it is off.)

Photos right to left, top to bottom.

Photo 1 The tip still on the bad glow plug. (Oh what a relief it is!) And the new one.
Photo 2 The overall photo with the fender liner dropped.
Photo 3 The glow plug removed with the wire hanging.
Photo 4 Another overall photo. It was a little tight due to my larger fuel filter hanging down a little lower. Still no problem.
Photo 5 A photo of the front of the motor. Cylinders 1 and 3.
Photo 6 Close up view of the glow plug removed.

Attachments

• DSCN9747.JPG
    DSCN9747.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN9748.jpg
    DSCN9748.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN9750.jpg
    DSCN9750.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN9751.jpg
    DSCN9751.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN9752.jpg
    DSCN9752.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN9753.jpg
    DSCN9753.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
What do you have to get out of the way besides the fender well insert to get the #6 glow plug? them pics looked a little tight lol.

ok here in NY they seem to put more salt on the roads than the ocean will ever have, what are your ways to help it from breaking when take it out?

ok here in NY they seem to put more salt on the roads than the ocean will ever have, what are your ways to help it from breaking when take it out?

I would start hitting it with a good penetrating oil days before you plan on removing it. I have read that Acetone and power steering fluid do well together when mixed 50/50.

To be straight up, the glow plug came out very easily. The threads and size of the "bolt" if you will was small. Even if it were seized up, one could break it loose without much effort. I did not spray mine, and I live in the Northeast also. It came out like butter.

Thanks to all the powers that be that #3 came out easily and whole last night! :thumbsup:

Thanks to Grady for the write up and pictures. :hello:

It appeared to me when I took it out that that thing would have to really swell alot to not want to come out. I was all ready to put the shop vac to it and say a prayer that I got all the chunks if I had to. :D

Back