• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ Glow Plug Replacement

I tried that Mike. I still couldn't get to it the way I wanted to. I was afraid that I would brake the glow plug off due to the angle. If you ever do it again, just unbolt the steering shaft. Just 1 bolt, and the shaft slides up and out of the way. Access is much easier after that. ;) :D

Great info and very helpful. I was getting the same codes, 0673 and 0676. I changed the glow plugs yet the codes came back. Where should I look now? Thanks for the help.

Assuming you have cleared the codes first I would confirm two things. First confirm with a meter the ones you replaced were bad. Second confirm you changed the correct glow plugs.

Pass - Driver
Firewall
7 --- 8
5 --- 6
3 --- 4
1 --- 2
Radiator

Assuming you have cleared the codes first I would confirm two things. First confirm with a meter the ones you replaced were bad. Second confirm you changed the correct glow plugs.

Pass - Driver
Firewall
7 --- 8
5 --- 6
3 --- 4
1 --- 2
Radiator

I did clear the codes and change the correct plugs. I'm not sure why, but the check engine light stayed on for about half the next day then shut off after I restarted the truck. It has stayed off since.

Do you have the DIC controls to reset on the steering wheel? Good to hear that you made out OK.

And most importantly, Welcome to our forum! :D :welcome2: :welcome3:

I contemplated doing #8 the weekend after Christmas. I had the glow plug,I read this thread again and said I CAN DO IT ! Well saturday came and so was a snowstorm, I can do it, no garage so doing it in the driveway? , I CAN DO IT . Fender liner off in 30 minutes, ahhh hoses in the way, plug is at a slight angle, my arms don't fit right, I CAN DO IT, no swivel, off to NAPA, could I , should I , oh boy what if, what if, I CAN DO IT, talked myself out of it before I got home ! The heck with it, put the liner back in and called Joe (stacks04). No problem he says, be back right after New Years, call me. I did, stopped by his dad's place last night and before I knew it, he was done ! Literally 20 minutes, no issues, no worries, and we had a great hour and a half conversation over a few Yuneglings ! There is not many things I feel more at ease about and one of them is when Joe is working on my truck ! JOE, YOU DA MAN ! :bow:

Joe is a great guy...wish he'd spend some more time here...but P&R gets him too wound up...that's understood though...I think it gets the best of me sometimes too with all the problems we face with Obenghazi at the helm...

Last I communicated with Joe (a few months ago) he said his life was going great for him and if not hanging around here is part of that then more power to him!

I still think you're a wuss for chickening out John...

J/K :hihi:

Last I communicated with Joe (a few months ago) he said his life was going great for him and if not hanging around here is part of that then more power to him!

I still think you're a wuss for chickening out John...

J/K :hihi:

Chicken you say Mike huh??

Cluck cluck says I ! :hihi:

:rof:

Joe is a good, valuable member of our forum! :thumbsup: I am glad to hear that everything is going well for him.

Comeon Bammer. With all of the good info posted in this thread, it would have been a snap. You were more than half way done, when you backed out. :D Glad to hear that you made out well.

I was close, but my pudgy little body and my stumpy arms would have proven to be my downfall. Plus it was well worth having Joe do it, just because we got to shoot the bull for a good long time ! :cornut:

To tell the truth I wouldn't have wanted to do it outside in the cold if I had ANY other option. Did enough of that in my 20s and 30s to last the rest of my life...:nonod:

To tell the truth I wouldn't have wanted to do it outside in the cold if I had ANY other option. Did enough of that in my 20s and 30s to last the rest of my life...:nonod:

Plus the 1-3" of snow they were calling for that day turned out to be 10" ! ! I didn't want a broken truck when it was really needed.:driving:

Changing out glow plugs on my 2006 duramax

Hi guys just wanted to say thanks for the information , saved myself $500+ .
After reading the HOW TOO information on the information you guys posted , I went ahead and changed out ALL 8 glow plugs , Bought the truck new in 2006 and have put a lot of money into the truck so it will work well and pull hard through the mountains , Best truck I have ever driven and I have driven a lot of them , this one has 180,000 miles and have had NO problems with truck .
Anyway the change out of the glow plugs went well , I presoaked the glow plugs with a mixture of 50/50 acetone- ATF and I was shocked that the nuts and plugs came out so easy, I laughted a bite as I was under the truck and could taste SALT , we live up north and 8 months of salt.
2006 Duramax crew cab 6.6 -6 speed allison ,Truck has a diablo predator programer
large exhaust, amsoil trans oil, amsoil 5-30 , amsoil long range oil filtration system,
long range fuel tank 52 gallon API air filter system 285,16in Michilin tires, the block heater has never been used and we start the truck in -30 Degrees F all winter. My programmer let me know that my Glow plug in cyl 6 was not working then last month # 4 went then number 3 went ....
Again thanks a lot guys for the info you saved me a few bucks !!

Welcome! :welcome2: Glad to hear that you made out well. :thumbsup: Pass the word on and get a few of your buddies to join up. :agreed:

Welcome to The Truck Stop! :welcome2:
Why not head over to the introductions area and say howdy to all the folks here!

Well, I have now joined the failed #4 glow plug club, along with #2 glow plug as well. :WTF:

Back in June '11 my #7 glow plug failed. I was jammed with work trying to bid on a big job with the state, so I had to let my GMC dealer replace the failed glow plug to the tune of $169.24 and two dozen donuts.

Now, my CEL is ON again and the codes are P0674 and P0672 in that order.

I called my dealer's parts department and the guy quoted me $36.94 each for the glow plugs and they do have TWO in stock.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a heated garage and the temperatures here have been fluctuating from a High of +10*F to a Low of -12*F, so it doesn't look like I will be able to replace the damned things myself any time soon.

After looking at Mike's pictures above, I see that it is absolutely necessary to remove the fender liner to get at these glow plugs. I just don't have a good heated garage to work on the truck at the moment, so looks like I'll be driving to my dealer again in the next couple of days and pay them to replace the glow plugs.

I am seriously thinking about selling this truck and replacing it with a V8 Tahoe or something similar. Too bad that GM quit making the Trailblazer. I used to have a 2002 Trailblazer and used to get 20+ MPG on the highway with it. My son now has a 2007 Trailblazer and loves it. Maybe I should have my dealer try to find me a good used Trailblazer. New truck prices are out of this world now.

I haven't had to drive long distances for more than 5 years so this truck only has a tad over 84,000 miles. Not bad for a 2006 truck.

The ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel we get around here is giving me much worse fuel economy compared to the fuel I was able to buy when I first bought this truck back in '06 and diesel fuel here is now around $1 to $1.25 per gallon MORE than regular unleaded gasoline, so I am spending a lot more $$$ for fuel compared to what I would be spending if I was driving a V8 Tahoe and miles/gallon are no better than I would be getting with a Tahoe. My towing requirements, if any, can be easily satisfied with a V8 Tahoe and I would have much better people carrying capacity when taking the grandkids with us. So it's making little sense any more for me to drive this truck as my only vehicle.

Back