• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ Glow Plug Replacement

If it is payed for, then it is easier and cheaper to keep it, rather than sell it or trade it. The glow plug issues are small potatoes Ray.

Can someone find out for me what the GM Flat Rate hours would be for replacing Glow Plugs #2 and #4? - Looks like I'm going to have to take it to my GMC dealer and have then do the work. I just don't have the facilities to do the work myself and it's too damned cold to do it out in my driveway. I already paid them $160 two years ago to replace the #7 glow plug and I don't want to get ripped off if I can at all help it.

I realize that they will need to R&R the left front wheel and the wheelhouse panel in order to get to the TWO glow plugs, but after reading about Mike's experience where he says it took him about 1 hour to replace the three glow plugs in his truck, I figure that flat rate can't be much more than that to replace #2 and #4, especially when they would have a warm garage and a hoist at their disposal to facilitate the work. I just want to have something definite to dispute it if they try to gouge me.

I already had problems with another GMC/Buick dealer several months back where they wanted to charge me $180 to replace a manifold water temperature sensor on a 1989 Buick Skylark 4-Cyl. (My wife's car at the time) - Fortunately, I didn't have her take it in, or she would've OK'd the work, not knowing what it involved. - I had checked the price at AutoZone and the retail price for the sensor was around $8 and it would've take a whole 30 seconds to replace it, since it was located right up front on the engine, with nothing obstructing access to it. When I told the write-up man that there was no way in hell that I was going to pay $180 for replacing an $8 part that would've taken only 30 seconds to replace, he pleaded ignorance and called the mechanic who had given him the quote to explain it. When I confronted the mechanic about it and pointed out the sensor right there within easy reach, he sheepishly smiled, turned around and walked away without saying a word, so I left and replaced the sensor myself. I had bought many cars from that dealer over the years because they are the closest to my home, but needless to say that was the last time I ever set foot in that dealership.

And Yes, the truck is paid for. I paid it off 4 ½ years ago. That is one of the main reasons I haven't replaced it. I just can't afford a truck payment right now.

The cost of replacing the glow plugs is not really what's getting to me. It's the price of diesel fuel at $0.80 to $1 or more per gallon MORE, compared to regular unleaded gasoline and the fact that my fuel economy is nothing to brag about especially since this ultra-low sulfur fuel we get around here is horrible for fuel economy. My son is getting 20% to 30% better mileage from his Trailblazer and he pays over $1 per gallon LESS for gasoline. I just don't do much long distance driving any more and very little towing if any. Any time I go to visit my brother 120 miles away it costs me $80 or more in fuel round trip. It just doesn't make sense any more for me to drive this 7,000+ lbs diesel truck when a Trailblazer or even a Tahoe would be more than adequate for me now. But this truck is all I have right now.

Glow plugs are an easy replacement item. Maybe try and go to a small local garage mechanic? It should be a piece of cake for them. And much less money for you.

Not a bad idea. i'm going to check with the guys that work on our snowplow trucks and see if they want to do it. They did tell me that they are not diesel mechanics, but this work should really be a no-brainer with the proper facilities.

I do have the GMC Service Manual and the instructions are pretty straight forward. I talk to them tomorrow.

Thanks.

Wish you lived closer to me Ray. We'd get it done in my shop for the cost of new plugs and fuel for the round trip.

Sent from my SCH-I535

I printed the above posts and gave it to my mechanic to read.

But he was frightened off from doing the work on Thursday by his buddy, who claims to be a GM Tech, who told him that glow plugs very often breaks off and require drilling them out. I told him that drilling them out is the least of the problems if one break off. So he said that he didn't have time to replace them then. He suggested that I come back in a few days when he has more time. I didn't want to push it because I needed the truck yesterday in order to go to my doctor's appointment for outpatient surgery to remove a cyst from my neck. I will have to try again later and see if he will allow me to work with him. Damn! I sure wish I had access to a warm garage preferably with a hoist to do it myself. It just ain't fun doing that work in my driveway in 10*F weather. Oh well! - I'll keep checking around.

Does a failed glow plug increase the likelihood for other glow plugs to fail? Does the glow plug module deactivates itself if one or more plugs fail? It doesn't feel like the plugs are working at all, since the truck runs very rough when cold started in this weather. This problem started with one failed plug and now TWO have failed. I bought 4 new AC/Delco OEM plugs and intend to replace all four on the left side. I just hope I don't get any more failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The controller continues to work as normal iirc. Just takes longer to start. Guy's a wimp

Sent from my SCH-I535

The replacement of the glow plugs is easier than changing the oil. I don't get it. If I was close to you, I would go and do it myself, outside, in your driveway. It doesn't take that long at all. I don't get these guys. GM Mechanic? I think they are mistaking the 6.2/6.5 with the Duramax. Seriously Ray. The job is a piece of cake.

I believe you guys. I would do it myself if I had some place warm to do it. But outside temps here have been hovering between +10*F and -10*F with winds between 10 and 35 mph. We've getting warnings from the US Weather Service of wind chill down around -15* to -35*F.

This really pisses me off, not having a warm place to do this in. I'm not used to having to rely solely on others to get something like this done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A while back, I had one go, then another, and another about a month apart. I replaced them each time. Then I bought 8 new and changed them all, and kept the others as extra replacements.

That's why I did the whole left bank after the 2nd one went. I'll do all 4 RH soon.

2esu5a8y.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535

Good deal Mike. I had a hell of a time doing the driver's side behind the steering shaft. I couldn't fit my arms in there to make the change. I took the bolt off on the steering shaft, and then I changed it in under a minute. Took me longer trying to squeeze in there and figure it out than it did for me to unbolt, change, and re-bolt the shaft. :thumbsup:

I ordered all 8 from Amazon as well. Figure I might as well have them here for when the others start to go.

Picture of the OEM data stamp for the record

y5apu9ev.jpg

And the oem #7 after it was replaced
hanyhuhu.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535

Last edited:
Replaced the right bank today
ybymyqen.jpg
e9ame8e8.jpg

Added picture of the old OEM one above

Sent from my SCH-I535

Back