• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ 06 water pump R&R

Bgbohunt

Reaction score
Well I Guess I'm A New Member! I'm Almost Done Putting The WaterPump In My 06 Duramax And I Was Googling For Any Helpful Hints Or Tricks When I Ended up Here. I've Watched Every You Tube Video I Could Find And Hope I Haven't Taken Any ShorT Cuts I'll Regret. It'A Been Real Hot So I've Been Trying To Work On It Early Mornings Or After Dark. I Wish I Knew The Name Of The Guy Off Youtube But He Was Very Helpful. His Video Was About 14 Min Long And He Did A Second One About Cutting The Time It Took In 1/2. The Prybar In The Flywheel Seems To Have Worked. Mine Got Stuck And Took Some Doing To Get Freed Up. Fingers Crossed That I Didn't Tweek Anything. Also The Tube That Comes Off Of The Back Of The Pump Just In Case Anyone Researching The Job In Advance"Yes There Are Two 12Mm Nuts " The One On The Inside Is A pain. I Ended Up Pulling The Boost Tube And Inner fender Off For Ease Of Access. Hopefully Someone Can Point Out A TIP For Guys In The Future . The Local Shop That I Normally Use Gets $400 For Labor And Cash Is A Little Tight So I Figured I Was Up For The Challenge. My Edge Programmer Has Been Throwing A Thermostat Code So While I Was In There I Grabbed Some O'Riellys 36$ They Were Substantially Lighter In Weight, Less Good Stuff In Them. I Figured I'd Throw That Out Ther For Some Opinions As Well? I've Got To Put The Schroud And Fan In ,Some Dexcool Bleed The System, Double Check There's No Water In The Oil And Hope She's Good! I'll Probably Change Oil Just To Be Safe. Wish Me Luck. I Loosened The Bolts And Pryed The Thermostat Housing Up Im A Little Worried That The O'Ring May Leak. I Also See Where Some guys Have Opted To Leave The Pesty Schroud Piece Out But As Hot As It Gets Around Here I'm Probably Going To Put It Back. I Like To Let It Idle On Hot Days The Way GasserS Can't Lol. If Anybody Knows It's Not Necessary Lay It On Me. That's Why I Signed Up.lol!

Well I Guess I'm A New Member! I'm Almost Done Putting The WaterPump In My 06 Duramax And I Was Googling For Any Helpful Hints Or Tricks When I Ended up Here. I've Watched Every You Tube Video I Could Find And Hope I Haven't Taken Any ShorT Cuts I'll Regret. It'A Been Real Hot So I've Been Trying To Work On It Early Mornings Or After Dark. I Wish I Knew The Name Of The Guy Off Youtube But He Was Very Helpful. His Video Was About 14 Min Long And He Did A Second One About Cutting The Time It Took In 1/2. The Prybar In The Flywheel Seems To Have Worked. Mine Got Stuck And Took Some Doing To Get Freed Up. Fingers Crossed That I Didn't Tweek Anything. Also The Tube That Comes Off Of The Back Of The Pump Just In Case Anyone Researching The Job In Advance"Yes There Are Two 12Mm Nuts " The One On The Inside Is A pain. I Ended Up Pulling The Boost Tube And Inner fender Off For Ease Of Access. Hopefully Someone Can Point Out A TIP For Guys In The Future . The Local Shop That I Normally Use Gets $400 For Labor And Cash Is A Little Tight So I Figured I Was Up For The Challenge. My Edge Programmer Has Been Throwing A Thermostat Code So While I Was In There I Grabbed Some O'Riellys 36$ They Were Substantially Lighter In Weight, Less Good Stuff In Them. I Figured I'd Throw That Out Ther For Some Opinions As Well? I've Got To Put The Schroud And Fan In ,Some Dexcool Bleed The System, Double Check There's No Water In The Oil And Hope She's Good! I'll Probably Change Oil Just To Be Safe. Wish Me Luck. I Loosened The Bolts And Pryed The Thermostat Housing Up Im A Little Worried That The O'Ring May Leak. I Also See Where Some guys Have Opted To Leave The Pesty Schroud Piece Out But As Hot As It Gets Around Here I'm Probably Going To Put It Back. I Like To Let It Idle On Hot Days The Way GasserS Can't Lol. If Anybody Knows It's Not Necessary Lay It On Me. That's Why I Signed Up.lol!
Also The Harmonic Balancer Bolt Requires 260 Ft Lbs Of Torque. None Of The Parts Shops That Do Loaner Tools In Town Had A 3/4 Drive Torque Wrench. I Even Called BSE Which Is An Equipment Rental Shop Here In Town And Yeah They Had One They'd Rent Me For 82$ A Day LMAO! Harbor Sells It For 79$ But I Lucked Out And My Uncle Danny Had One. Score! I Also Looked Up The Guy Off Of Youtube And His Screen Name Is Briansmobile1 Thanks For The Help As Well As Mike At Diesel And Gas Here In VISALIA.

Last edited:
I pull the raadiator out when I do them, and take the time to clean out the cooling stack. And with the radiator out you can put an impact on the crank bolt, and it comes out real easy that way. As to the stats, the aftermarket ones are junk, and will most likely still give you your low temp codes if you idle much. GM, AC DELCO(same as GM which are ISUZU), or MISHIMOTO's are the ONLY stats you want to run in a DURAMAX.

Welcome.

I'd take Theferminator's advice, my brother in law just swapped his thermostats for the second time. Once 2 weeks ago while doing same thing you are, and again yesterday to get rid of the set from Pepboys.

I was just in Visalia last week, nice area there. We stayed at 3 Rivers to go see the General Sherman tree and such. That sight should be on everyone's list.

My water pump went out the day day after I bought it. AC delco pump, new balancer bolt, new starter, inner shroud in the can, and a lot of new words learned. 170k miles later no issues and no overheating at idle.

At 250k I did an ac delco temp sensor, tstats, and gasket. No issues there yet.

Now time to block that pesky egr, reroute the pcv finally, and do new inner cooler boots.

The problem with the aftermarket t stats is they don't have the rubber seal on the valve i nthe stat, so they leak by to much at idle, and it allows the engine to cool off idling. If you're running down the road, they do OK, but get caught in traffic and you can watch the gauge drop.

When I Had The PRybar Stuck In The Flywheel I Had Turned The KEY On And Put It In Neutral To See If It Would Let go And Forgot To Turn The KEY off. Dead Batteries. Kind Of Paranoid Something Could Be Bound Up.A Shop Had Told Me About AJob That Was Done Here In Town That When They Fired It Up Sounded Like A Pete Jackson Gear Drive. Everything Seemed To Go Back Together Ok. Hands Are Tore Up. Inner Schroud Was A Pain In The Ass.I could tell The Minute I Had Them Out How Much More Quality Materials Were In The OEM. So Where's The Best Deal On The Good Ones? If It Keeps Kicking Codes I'll Change Soon.

Also Thanks For The Welcome.! So Far Not Looking Too Good Battery Was Charged To 70% And SolenoidJust Clicks.Thinking Either The Gears In The Pump Aren't Meshing Up Or Something To Do With How Difficult It Was To Get Prybar dislodged From Inside bellhousing AfterTorqueing BAL.

Last edited:
It's Pretty Up That Way And Cooler. Thanks For The Input And It Will Probably Go the Same Way For Me After I Work Some Other Bugs Out.

I'd take Theferminator's advice, my brother in law just swapped his thermostats for the second time. Once 2 weeks ago while doing same thing you are, and again yesterday to get rid of the set from Pepboys.

I was just in Visalia last week, nice area there. We stayed at 3 Rivers to go see the General Sherman tree and such. That sight should be on everyone's list.[/QUOTE]
Its

I've Heard Them All. Lol. The One That Applied Or IThought Applied At That Moment Was Beggers Can't Be Choosers. I'd Just Like To Have It Running Now. I'm Thinking Possibly Have Balancer Installed Backwards And LookiAt That.OTE="RI Chevy Silveradoman, post: 503940, member: 8"]It is important to remember the old adage, "you get what you pay."

One has to stick with good name brand parts.[/QUOTE]
Ive

I'm checking The Web For Photos NoW Of Properly Installed One Now. Are You Familiar With The 06 LbZ BAL And How It Would Appear WHen Properly Installed?

Excellent!

That is what this site is all about. Members helping members.
A site that is truly run by diesel enthusiasts, for diesel enthusiasts! :)

Back